Adding frontal positional tracking to an headset without positional tracker

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Adding frontal positional tracking to an headset without positional tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Marco
    Participant

Hello, i ordered this device

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeePoon-E2-Immersive-Virtual-Reality-AMOLED-Screen-VR-Glasses-HDMI-1080P-3D-BOBO-/131743160860

It is said to be 99% DK2 compatible and i’ve found some positive reviews so i took the risk. I should be receiving it from China in a couple of weeks.

I am also planning to buy an HTC Vive soon (just to prove i didn’t get the device above just to stay on the cheap side).

I have a couple of questions:

1- if you guys think the Deepoon E2 will work properly with Vorpx (otherwise i just wasted some cash but as i said i decided to the risk so.. whatever, life will go on ;) )

2 – if there’s any way to add frontal head positional tracking with Vorpx Geometry 3D by any mean (Ex: Leap motion, PS3 camera, Kinetc V2, Trackir). I think Opentrack will do with racing and few more games. All i really want to do is to be able to look around objects and lean back and forward while sitting on a desk, like i see in Dk2 games. i don’t mind making some external modifications to the device like adding some reflecting tape or so.

I couldn’t find real solutions apart from Opentrack, which i think works but has limited compatibility.

Thanks in advance!

tane
    Participant

The only reason to get a deepoon E2 IS VORPX haha, saying this as an owner. Just remember to keep it in DK2 mode. As for head tracking, I’ve never had it so I haven’t missed it (and considering the lack of out-of-the-box head tracking support for rift games, I can’t imagine missing it either.)
    When it comes in, don’t hesitate to post your OS+ SDK setup!

Marco
    Participant

Hi tane, it’s nice to see another positive review (implicit) for the Deepoon here.

You said right i ordered it especially for Vorpx, but there may be another good reason: as i will upgrade my 970gtx to 980ti o even better the upcoming Pascal , to take full advantage of the HTC Vive and newer games, i will be having some spare components, almost half a computer let’s say. Therefore it may be accessible to build a second, smaller system for multiplayer pourpose and play games with my friend via LAN and have local VR gameplay for the cheap.

I made some researches and the positional tracking add-on solution and it looks like possible (just check the many videos on youtube) but halfway implemented.
    I don’t know if this is gonna work but i am definitely not the only one having interest over the subject.

I’m a Vr newbie and VORPX seems to be just amazing. On the top of that Vorpx developers seems to be very responsive in this Forum, i imagine them like magic Elfs working to make dreams come true. Let’s see if they can help us this time ;)

Have a good day.

tane
    Participant

haha that’s quite a commitment to VR.
    Yeah, considering the huge potential of VORPX and the raw buying power of Oculus, I’m surprised they haven’t acquired the software, or at least thrown together an in-house version. The fact that their “killer apps” are a pay-to-win flightsim and a Bubsy 3d clone, while a small 3rd party team adds support for hundreds of great games by themselves just goes to show you where Oculus’ priorities lie. But really, an awesome piece of software with surprising utility, Dead Space 2 and Bioshock alone are worth the purchase price, especially with Deepon halving the cost of entry over a DK2.

Vlad the Bad
    Participant

I was excited to get my Deepoon E2 today. I had already bought Vorpx and a few other things. I have been trying all day and can’t it to run with any Oculus run times. I can start the E2 assistant and view some of their demos/movies. Nvidia recognizes “Oculus VR Inc Deepoon E2”. But as soon as I install a rift runtime, the headset disapears from Nvidia, the light turns red(off), and I can’t do a thing with it. Even with the runtime installed, Vorpx just says “no runtime installed”.
    Since you have an E2, could you be kind enough to share how you got it working or have an idea of what I’m doing wrong. I have never tried VR and this is driving me crazy. I have been searching google all day for help to no avail.

Any insight you may have would be greatly appreciated.
    Windows 10 x64

bcozier
    Participant

Vlad…just a thought, maybe it was compatible with an earlier runtime and not the latest? Were you able to download the oculus SDK and try those demos successfully?

update: here’s what I was able to find…

“its hardware compatible with oculus dk2 drivers and is a full hd 1080×1920 samsung oled hmd with 360 degree head tracking. The head tracking is great – no motion tracking tho.

using ED + steamvr (openvr?) with oculus drivers 0.8 in windows 10 and the following spec pc:

amd fx 8350, radeon 7970 3gb, 12gb ddr2, sandisk extreme2 ssd.

dual boot between win10 and win8.1 – the deepoon can emulate dk1 and dk2 and use its native deepoon mode. switching modes only works in win8.1 right now but once the hardware is set to that mode it seems to remember and can just boot straight to windows 10.”

look here :

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=232671

bcozier
    Participant

Also found this guide for 1.3 and windows 10…good luck and let us know how good the experience is…

I made a free website with instructions on installing the oculus 1.3 for the e2 :

http://alternativevr.weebly.com/e2-13-installation-guide.html

Vlad the Bad
    Participant

Hey thanks for the reply. I had found you ED post awhile back, it was one of the reasons I got the E2 since I likewise have a fx8350 and win 10 figured if others could get it to run so could I.

I tried the guide but there is no “rift dk2 usb sensor” driver in device manager to be found, and yes I enabled “show hidden devices” :) I have uninstalled and reinstalled trying this or that for the past couple of hours with no luck.
    So I found my old key for windows 8 just downloaded to to a flash to I will try the dual boot to see if I can get it to switch to dk2 in windows 8 then see if the option stuck in windows 10.

Vlad the Bad
    Participant

Finally got it to work. Had to reboot between driver installs, seems odd but it worked. Finally getting my first glimpse of VR and this knockoff dk2 isn’t half bad. Think I am still going to keep my order in for August for the higher res CV1 and sell this on ebay. My eyes are bad and maybe the higher res will be less headache inducing.
    Thanks for the tips while I have been getting up and running!

bcozier
    Participant

Always a pleasure to help someone else enjoy the same things I enjoy.

Marco
    Participant

Hello friends, i need ur help here. When i started this thread i was a bit afraid of asking something silly. Now i see at least it may clarify the subject and address someone so it’s not something useless.

I received the device and i have still to unbox it… or send it back to Hong Kong for refunding (i am a bad person, i know..) . The reality is i am craving for a Vorpx headset. I preordered HTC Vive with good timing but, living in Europe, i don’t know when i will get it and no one knows when Vorpx will be available for the device!

I feel like a child in front of a candy store or something worst. What should i do, open this 300 euros headset with no positional tracking i may be using just for a month then switch to Vive and Vorpx as soon as i get them?

If Vorpx on Vive would be like 4 months ahead, it would worth the gamble. If it gets announced for the next month, that would be a bit of waste of money.

Consider also my graphic card is a GTX970, i am also afraid that it wouldn’t be enough to run Vorpx games on HTC Vive in a good way… then again “The Poon” would be of use until Pascal comes out and i have money!

I admit being a bit confused. What would u do?

bcozier
    Participant

Finally got it to work. Had to reboot between driver installs, seems odd but it worked. Finally getting my first glimpse of VR and this knockoff dk2 isn’t half bad. Think I am still going to keep my order in for August for the higher res CV1 and sell this on ebay. My eyes are bad and maybe the higher res will be less headache inducing.
    Thanks for the tips while I have been getting up and running!

Just checking, did you get it to run with VorpX also? Did you own a DK2 before to compare any difference in image quality?

Vlad the Bad
    Participant

Yes I got it to run and was shocked that Oculus Home recognized it as a Rift and gave me Lucky’s Tale.

Vorpx ran fine with it and this was my very first VR anything. Have never tried a DK2 or anything. I would guess this is similar since it likewise has a res of 1920×1080. Not sure if dk2 used the Samsung Amoled screen though.
    Does not matter though, it is a wash for me and after 1 day is on Ebay trying to at least break even. I am disabled and have to sit most of the day reclined back. I was hoping to strap this on and do some massive screen gaming. But trying to use almost anything with it sitting back 45degrees is nigh impossible.
    I was just having to move around more than I am able and I am so sore I can’t hardly stand it. But these products weren’t developed for special cases like me in mind. Still wanted to give it a try though :)
    It was awesome while it lasted and leaves me looking forward to the possibilities of more adaptive solutions in the future years.

bcozier
    Participant

Great, good to know it was working with vorpx also. It may be a cheaper alternative for some people wanting to get their feet wet in VR.

saconagamesvplay
    Participant

Hello

I’m new to VR and vorpx. I’ve recently bought a Deepoon E2 and wanted to play Battlefield 4 on it. But i always get the error “vorpX could not initialize your Oculus Rift. It reported:”.
    I’m running:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Asus H97 Pro Gamer motherboard
    Intel i7 4790K
    Nvidia GTX 750 Ti

Does VorpX not work on Windows 7 x64 ?
    Do I “have to” dual boot ?

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!