Amazing trick to REALLY IMPROVE EXEPRIENCE

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Amazing trick to REALLY IMPROVE EXEPRIENCE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nerobeus
    Participant

With the last SDK it’s possible to override the oculus definition !

– Download the last SDK on oculus site, open the Oculus debug tool (in folder tool) and change the value “Pixel per display pixel override”. The max value is 2.

– start oculus, the tracking will be loosed.
    Close oculus debug tool.
    -> tracking work again.
    – restart oculus debug tool et set again the same value to 2.
    – launch your favorite game and ENJOY !!

The result is incredible but it’s also really harder for your graphic card…

(Please excuse my bad english…)

Geoman
    Participant

Now that’s cool! Thank you!
    @Ralf: Could this be integrated into vopX’ settings?

Geoman
    Participant

This is an interesting reddit thread about the “issue”:
    Increase the render resolution of the Rift

Ralf
    Keymaster

For vorpX it’s better to raise a game’s resolution than doing the above tweak. The default recommendation of 1280×1024 is a compromise between quality and speed.

However, if your PC is fast enough and allows you to run a game at 1600×1200 or even 1920×1440, doing so will result in a huge image quality boost. Just keep an eye on performance when experimemting with this. Newer and thus more demanding games might fall below a reasonable framerate at higher resolutions.

Marco
    Participant

I just tried the resolution 1920×1440. It performs much better than any other combination tried so far, especially the suggested 1280 x 1024. My suggestion is to make clear the resolution matter here in the forum and directly in the software because i think that suggesting 1280 x 1024 can be misguiding. I see that with lower resolution games performs slightly better but looks too much worse to be a fair trade and someone may get a wrong impression about your fantastic software.

In 1920×1440 games such Dishonored, Aliens:Colonial Marines, Bioshock Infinite runs very well on my Gtx970 and Vive, looking almost as good as native VR titles! Well done!!!!!!!

jungleboy123
    Participant

The increase in resolution is this per eye or in total? I know that the DK2 does 960×1080 per eye. Does that mean 1920×1440 per eye? Is this supersampling or is the DK2’s hardware capable of an increased resolution?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The 100% ideal resolution would be the per eye render resolution of the given headset (which is higher the the screen resolution due to the lens distortion).

For the current headsets the easiest way to get close to these resolutions is using 1600×1200 for Rift DK2 or 1920×1440 for Rift CV1/Vive. Given that your PC allows to set these resoution in a game this simplifies things as you don’t have to add custom resoutions to Windows.

Theoretically you can use any resolution. So if your machine can handle even higher resolutions for a game, you can also use this for super sampling.

Just be aware that recent games often won’t perform well enough with higher resolutions, especially in Geometry 3D mode.

Marco
    Participant

I think that here in the fourum the subject is quite clear now but i suggest adding an option or improving the explanation over the subject also on the Games Optimizer, mentioning the other reccomended resolution like 1920×1440. It’s just a detail but i think would make things more clear for new users when they try their first games, giving at least the idea of which kind of visual performance could be obtained. A lot of people interested in VR is going to change their cards now and 1920×1440 should run super sweet on a 1080.

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

Unfortunately, this is still not clear to me. My curiosity is perked by ralf’s comment “The 100% ideal resolution would be the per eye render resolution of the given headset (which is higher the the screen resolution due to the lens distortion).”

Ralph only mentions that 1920×1440 is an approx to the optimal resolution.

Would someone kindly tell me what the 100% optimal render resolution is?

I can set my resolution to whatever I want using the Custom Resolution Tool, as well as use DSR etc.

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

How does one edit a post?

I have been doing some reading online, and it just gets more confusing as noone seems to know what the default/recommended rendering resolution of the CV1 actually is.

Some people are claiming that its 3024×1680, others are saying its 2700×1600.

Yet some say to half the resolution to 1512×1680, as it should be a “per eye” resolution as Ralph mentioned.

All I want to know is, everything else being equal, what is the optimal game resolution that should be set? Noone on the entirety of the internet seems to be able to answer that definitively :)

If I think logically with my limited understanding, I would double both the horizontal and vertical resolutions of one eye (1080×1200), which would yield 2160×2400 as the optimal rendering resolution, which is 466 million pixels per second at 90fps – pretty close to the “400 million pixels for VR” figure that everyone keeps regurgitating.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can safely use the officially recommended resolutions. vorpX does not render to the headset directly, but does render the game to an intermediate texture which is then rendered to the headset. For this second step vorpX already automatically uses the optimal render texture size for each headset.

Recommended game resolutions are: 1280×1024 for performance, 1600×1200 (DK2) or 1920×1440 (CV1, Vive) for quality.

Theoretically you can choose even higher resolutions if yor PC is fast enough, which would further enhance the image quality through super sampling.

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

Hi Ralf,

I am sure you are correct. Would you kindly explain the logic behind this resolution of 1920×1440?

The native horizontal resolution is 1080. Using 1920 gives sampling factor of 1.8.
    The native vertical resolution is 1200. Using 1440 gives sampling factor of 1.2.

Surely for an optimal resolution, the sampling factors should be identical both horizontally and vertically?

Ralf
    Keymaster

All headsets warp the image because of the lens distortion which leads to larger pixels in the center. Hence the best render resolution is higher than the display resolution. 5:4/4:3 resolutions are useful to give vorpX some room for its custom async timewarp on the left and right border without black bars sliding in while timewarping (like with the normal timewarping).

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

Hi Ralph,

“All headsets warp the image because of the lens distortion which leads to larger pixels in the center. Hence the best render resolution is higher than the display resolution. ”

Yep, I understand that, hence my trying to find an optimal render resolution (‘I’m a huge fan of supersampling with GEDOSATO tool, as well as nVidia’s DSR).

Due to my experience with supersampling, I know how important it is to have exact 1:1, 2:1, 4:1 etc supersampling ratios, as in-between ratios will yield unsatisfactory results.

This is the reason I am trying to ascertain the correlation between the screen resolution of 1080×1200 and the render resolution.

So that I understand, 1920×1440 is indeed a 4:3 resolution. This just does not make sense to me if we are distorting onto a 9:10 screen. surely we would want a 9:10 supersampling resolution?

Now you are saying that there are black bars on the horizontal extremities, which somehow affect the rendering ratio?

I apologise if I am not getting this. Would you kindly elaborate, perhaps by using a diagram?

I am sure the more technical of us would be able to use the information to best calculate our preferred custom resolutions. I personally find this fascinating!

I should add that I use the VorpX cinema setting in games, rather than the VR setting, as it gives me proper head tracking.

Ralf
    Keymaster

As said above images are pre-warped by the headset runtimes to counteract the lens distortion. Hence there is no 1:1 relationship between screen pixels and original image pixels like on your monitor across the whole image. 5:4/4:3 are good for vorpX’s timewarp (also mentioned above already). I can not get into details about this, sorry.

The suggested resolutions for quality (1600×1200/1920×1440) make sure that you get an image quality like with native games in vorpX. Since games with vorpX are often more demanding than native games you should use the performance recommendation (1280×1024) for newer games though.

If you want to learn about lens distortion and how to address it mathematically, I can recommend the below Wikipedia article, it’s a great starting point. In practice both Oculus and OpenVR runtime work different these days, but the article still provides you with the basics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(optics)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!