Any plans to fix Black Mesa, Slenderman, or Gone a Home?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Any plans to fix Black Mesa, Slenderman, or Gone a Home?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lipplog
    Participant

EDIT: I just noticed Gone Home in the latest update list. But the image is still super distorted for me. Should import the new game profile?

Ralf
    Keymaster

None of these is broken, so nothing to fix.

IIRC there is no automatic FOV for Gone Home or Slenderman and as far as I’m aware no way to change it, you will either have to use Image Zoom to compensate or play in Immersive Screen Mode.

Not sure what your issue is with Black Mesa might be. Like all Source 2 engine games it has full DirectVR scanning support. FOV and both rotational and positional tracking are covered.

lipplog
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Can you recommend a screen resolution and ratio for Gone Home and Slender? Maybe that’s my problem.

As for Black Mesa, it’s crashing at startup. I’ll try disabling Windows defender and see if that does it.

Oh, and is there an updated list of DirectVR games? Or is list in the link Nelson up to date?

DirectVR game list and question

Ralf
    Keymaster

Nothing out of the ordinary to recommend in regard to resolutions. As always 4:3 resolutions are better than widescreen in Full VR mode. Apart from that the procedure described in the “1-2-3 Setup Guide” of the vorpX help is a good way to get games without DirectVR FOV working quickly.

Even easier in such cases is switching the “Play Style” option to the recently introduced “Immersive Screen Mode” as recommended above.

For Gone Home the DirectVR settings optimizer can also utilize custom resolutions IIRC. Check the “Custom Resolutions” section in the help for details on that.

Just in case: if you can’t add the custom resolutions in the nVidia control panel or have any other resolution related issue, please first and foremost make sure to use a regular monitor, not a TV. nVidia blocks custom resolutions on some (most?) TVs.

If your vorpX install is somewhat older, it also makes sense to reset the profile database from time to time to utilize potentially improved default profile settings that might get changed with newer versions. You can reset the profile database in the config app (trouble shooting page).

lipplog
    Participant

Oh wait… Is Gone Home suppose to have DirectVR? Because there’s no DirectVR option in the VorpX menu. If that’s the case, then I’m having the same issue as a year ago. Where some DirectVR games don’t have the DirectVR option.

Ralf
    Keymaster

DirectVR

DirectVR is a collection of several techniques that provide VR compatibility for ‘normal’ games with as little need for user interaction as possible. Direct VR can for example optimize game settings, choose an optimized resolution, adjust the camera FOV or provide perfect low latency head tracking. At least one Direct VR feature is available for currently more than 150 games.

Not all DirectVR feature are available for all games though. For Gone Home for example DirectVR adjusts various game settings and the resolution – provided you didn’t disable that functionality.

lipplog
    Participant

You’re right. I’ve been trying different resolutions in the GONE HOME game menu, and the image looks better. I must have disabled something without knowing. I’d be much obliged if you could direct me to where I can reenable it.

As for BLACK MESA, I’m still stuck. Reinstalled via Steam. Disabled Windows Defender. Reset VorpX to factory default. The game works outside VR, but refuses to boot if VorpX is running. Here are my steps…

1. I hit “Play”.
    2. Steam warns it’s not VR compatible, and I click “Okay”.
    3. The “Play” button turns into “Launching”.
    4. A few seconds later, “Launching” turns back into “Play”.

Thanks for your patience, Ralf!

dellrifter22
    Participant

It seems Valve have been updating openvr parameters for launcing their games recently (a sign of native vr support in the future??), forcing them to close when steamvr is active.

Hopefully Ralf can take a closer look into this, might be a simple line of code.

Until then, I’ve discovered that by simply renaming “openvr_api.dll” to something else like “XXopenvr_api.dll”, you can get the game to launch in the headset.

Steam\steamapps\common\Black Mesa\bin openvr_api.dll

Give that a try. Now I’ve got to figure out where my game saves went, as it wants me to start over after a cloud sync :/

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ dellrifter: interesting find. I’ll take a look at that. Thanks for the heads-up-

@ lipplog: Please make sure the “Don’t optimize game settings” in the config app is UNCHECKED. You should then be able to select a preferred quality on the DIrectVR page of the vorpX ingame menu. Apart from that please thoroughly re-read my replies above, especially everything about “1-2-3 Game Setup”, “Custom Resolutions” and “Immersive Screen Mode”.

lipplog
    Participant

Thanks Ralf. The box for “don’t optimize game settings” is definiteky unchecked. Can you tell me if game profiles include resolution size. I’m still trying to find the right res for Gone Home, and I thought I could import some custom profiles.

Also, what do you think of dellrifter22‘s temporary solution for Black Mesa?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t really have any other suggestions for Gone Home than the ones I gave you twice already, sorry. If for some reason DirectVR auto settings don’t work for you for a game, you can always:

1. Either disable auto resolution in the vorpX menu (DirectVR page) and use vorpX the old fashioned way by following the three steps from the ‘1-2-3 Game Setup Guide’ in the help, essentially using the ‘ImageZoom’ option to compensate for missing FOV.
    2. Or alternatively switch the ‘Play Style’ option to ‘Immersive Screen Mode’, which doesn’t require a specific FOV.

Regarding my assessment of dellrifter’s Black Mesa fix please see my reply directly above yours. Whether there can be a solution on vorpX’s end, I can’t tell yet. If a game loads SteamVR (OpenVR) by itself, it causes a conflict with vorpX which does the same when operating in SteamVR mode. If by any chance you happen to own both a Vive and a Rift, switching vorpX to Oculus mode would also help.

lipplog
    Participant

Okay. Thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!