Anyone Get Titanfall 2 Working Properly?

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Anyone Get Titanfall 2 Working Properly?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    haints
    Participant

It has an official G3D profile, but there’s something wrong with it–no depth separation between your gun and the environment. Look down at the ground and the depth of your gun and the depth of the ground beneath it are exactly the same. It’s a squashed 2D image.

This would be a perfect game for 3D/VR if not for this flaw. Anyone know a fix?

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s one of the games that render the gun model with an FOV a lot lower than the FOV used to render the world. FPS games often do this to make the gun look good on the monitor, for VR however it’s less than ideal. In some games this “viewmodel fov” can be adjusted separately, but as far as I’m aware no such option exists for Titanfall 2.

Apart from this glitch I found the game working outstandingly well with unusually good performance for a game that new.

haints
    Participant

It’s one of the games that render the gun model with an FOV a lot lower than the FOV used to render the world. FPS games often do this to make the gun look good on the monitor, for VR however it’s less than ideal. In some games this “viewmodel fov” can be adjusted separately, but as far as I’m aware no such option exists for Titanfall 2.

Apart from this glitch I found the game working outstandingly well with unusually good performance for a game that new.

It’s true, it runs very well for such an effects heavy game. Unfortunately the gun being at the same plane as the background kind of ruins it for me.

Tridef 3D has a profile where the gun is at the right depth, but performance is not as good as Vorpx.

sark666
    Participant

I was going to grab this game for vorpx. I guess this hasn’t changed. How does tridef get around this? Wondering if something can be implemented in vorpx. Also, I’ve only used vorpx so far for single player, does multiplayer work or would that flag as cheating under most systems?

haints
    Participant

I’m playing the game on Tridef right now and it works very well. You can no longer buy Tridef anymore, unfortunately. But there is a dischord for it where it is available …

https://discordapp.com/channels/500887333600493568/500887333600493570

slydog43
    Participant

Can vorpx work if I launch titanfall 2 from withing the origin launcher? Having trouble linking vopx and titanfall2. Using the latest vorpx 19.1

slydog43
    Participant

Nevermind, it works fine if I launch titanfall2 program directly without the origin launcher open.

haints
    Participant

Don’t you get the issue where there is no separation between the background environment and your gun? I found it uplayable like that.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I’m curious to hear slydog’s report, as for me things looked great. Aside from the guns being a bit large and close up (possibly making them look less 3D than you expect due to size and fov), G3D was working as it should. The weapon/world strength difference became less apparent to me when using titan suit.

I don’t like hand models to close to my face in games, so I normally prefer to zoom the screen out until they feel at a natural distance. This often comes at the price of intruding letterbox bars on top and bottom of my view, but it feels better to me.

I think for Titanfall 2 I used an image zoom of 0.62 (image settings page), and an FOV Enhancement of 0.41 (main page, might require Expert settings). Then of course you can increase the 3D strength as you desire to get preferred depth.

haints
    Participant

I’m curious to hear slydog’s report, as for me things looked great. Aside from the guns being a bit large and close up (possibly making them look less 3D than you expect due to size and fov), G3D was working as it should.

I just tried booting this up again since I was puzzled by what you are describing. What I see is exactly the same as before: there is zero depth separation between your weapon and the environment: Turn and face a wall and your gun is at the exact same depth as the wall–i.e. flat. Look at the ground and your weapon is the exact same depth as the ground. It is a flat, 2D image.

When I brought this issue up at the start of this thread Ralf appeared to acknowledge that the issue is in fact real, writing:

haints
    Participant

Okay, I tried it again with your specific settings dellrifter. It made no difference.

I noticed one strange thing: even though I have it set to full vr, it isn’t actually playing in full VR. It’s playing letterboxed, like in Cinema mode. Do you get that too?

Also it is very clear that depth is messed up/flat because the crosshair has the same depth as the gun, i.e. no depth at all.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The game has an FOV cap, values above a certain threshold are ignored. vorpX takes that into account during the DirectVR FOV calculation and compensates for the rest with slight black bars. Whenever you see something like that happening it’s done by design to provide the precisely fitting FOV required for a distortion free image in full VR mode.

Just in case: as usual any manual override would introduce image distortion due to an objectively wrong FOV unless you find a way to raise the FOV above the max allowed by the game.

Not directly related but useful: doing something similar manually allows you to play almost any game in full VR mode, even games that don’t allow to adjust their FOV at all. Check the ‘1-2-3 Game Setup’ guide in the help for additional information on that.

dellrifter22
    Participant

@haints Well if you already fiddled with those settings then you probably wont see a difference, but I uploaded mine to the cloud anyway. Use it with FOV set to 108 in game. FOV is set higher for better mouse and keyboard play without headtracking.

I would just ask to make sure you are using Geometry 3D mode, because Z-normal isn’t working at all in this game.

The letter-boxing happens as you zoom the image out to achieve this higher FOV. I hope not so spoil any secret, but fullVR mode is just gluing the cinema screen in very close to your face, and unlocking headtracking. So if the screen looks too zoomed in, we have to zoom it out a little.

You can adjust the depth of the crosshair with the HUD depth slider in the vorpX menu. The lower you go will make it look more 3D, but it will start to feel more cross-eyed to look at.

You are right in the sense that the Titanfall guns do not look the right depth in relation to the surrounding world (they appear to extend beyond closer world objects, but not distant sky) but they are indeed 3D. A few other games like the Fallouts and Call of Duties have similar problem, where the guns don’t look quite like they belong naturally in the world space, but rendered on it’s own dimension. This causes some confusion to the eyes when trying to focus on both relatively, but if you concentrate more on the world ahead, things tend to normalize.

Anyway, I don’t mean to keep rambling or refute that there is some issue with the 3D in Titanfall. I just wanted to make it clear for others that there is indeed working geometry in the game (I’ve only tried Singleplayer), and it is not full pancake as you made it sound. Still a neat experience imo.

I’d be curious to see how it looks in Tridef, and learn how it goes about solving the problem.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@dellrifter: not spoiling any secrets at all. All VR apps work like that: nothing more than two images glued to your eyes. It just gets obvious in cases like this where a game’s FOV can’t be set hight enough to correctly cover the images a native app glues to your eyes.

BTW: I know you guys like to tweak. But if on occasion you want to save yourself some time, just stick to the automated FOV calculation if available. It gets figured out per game and is usually spot on. Very unlikely that you can do it better, trust me.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, and I mean no disrespect to directVR FOV calculation (very cool in theory), but it often feels much too zoomed in compared to how I see things in the real world – at least when it comes to standard mouse and keyboard play.

I can see how it is more suited for distortion free head movement (sweeping a wide circumference), but as I prefer to use mouse rotation instead of moving my neck, pivots need to be tighter and the distance from the floor needs to be greater. Otherwise it gives a magnified fishbowl effect.

It’s true that manually increasing the FOV too much can introduce the opposite effect (fish-eye distortion), so a balance needs to be discovered.

I need to be able to A: place the weapon/hand models further out as feels more natural. And B: look at my feet from a proper distance away, and then drag up to the horizon without the image overstretching/zooming if possible.

I’m not claiming this is the correct way to test for perfect FOV, but is simply the way that works best for me – again for traditional seated mouse and keyboard play.

So while I’m appreciative that directVR provides a good all-around starting point, I even more appreciate the tools vorpX provides to adjust it further to meet individual needs (whether better or not). Besides, as a tweaker, the tools are too much fun not to tinker with :) . Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!