Asynchronous spacewarp

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Asynchronous spacewarp

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tiggerdyret
    Participant

I just saw this exciting new feature for the Oculus Rift and I wanted to know what you guys think and what Ralf has in store for this new rendering method. It’s good to see the software getting better and it looks promising for the future of rendering high-end games at lower frames rates.
    Link: Article

Edit: I’m an idiot. There is already a thread…

Ralf
    Keymaster

One thing worth mentioning is that Asynchronous Spacewarp is not the definitive answer to very low frame rates. It can’t make 20fps feel like 90fps. To quote the in-depth explanation linked in the Oculus blog post: “There’s no completely free lunch, however. ASW doesn’t scale well below half the display’s refresh rate.”

So you will still need “real” 45fps for a fluid experience like before.

There are also a few minor catches in regard to artifacts with transparent objects, small regular patterns etc., quite similar to the glitches you see with other motion detection based frame interpolation methods that you may know for example from your TV.

Ralf
    Keymaster

A few impressions after toying around with the final runtime 1.10 ASW.

To make it brief: I’m 100% sold now. Maybe they changed something between the prior runtime and the final implementation or maybe I just didn’t activate the right mode when I originally tried it last month. Either way results are much better with vorpX now. Also works with the current release version of vorpX now, which prior wasn’t the case for me for some reason.

As soon as a game gets close to 45fps (which personally I would still consider a requirement), ASW works beautifully. If there ever was a reason to prefer Oculus over Vive for vorpX, this is it. Hopefully Valve can get something similar up and running soon.

Let me know what you think.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Update: There can be situations where Async Spacewarp introduces judder (randomly inserted wrong frames) with the current relase version of vorpX. If you experience this, enable “Fluid Sync” on the display page of the vorpX ingame menu. The reason is already known, I will look into a hotfix for this next week.

grumdark
    Participant

For the moment,in my first test,I have tried to activate “fluid sync” with Cv1, while playing trying to reduce “stuttering”,but it works even worse than when it is disabled.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The Fluid Sync fix is ONLY meant to get rid of the Spacewarp related heavy judder mentioned above (randomly inserted frames a few times per second), it’s not something that generally enhances the frame rate.

If that does not work for you, please always mention the game(s) you tried in issue reports, otherwise I can’t try whether it’s reproducible.

Another option to address this judder would be to disable Async Rendering on the display page of the ingame menu. That reduces the overall frame rate though, so Fluid Sync is the preferred way.

The hotfix that addresses this is almost done and will be released after some additional testing next week.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The hotfix that addresses the Asynchronous Spacewarp glitch is now available.

Read more about it here.

alegse
    Participant

I have oculus 1.10 and used the new hotfix.
    I must say I notice no difference or performance improvement with ASW. Everything seems exactly the same for me as before. Does anyone else notice any kind of improvement?
    Do you have to enable or activate ASW or is it automatically active?
    I am running Windows 7 and the oculus home page lists Windows8 or newer as a requirement. Is it possible that ASW is not working in Windws7 or maybe the benefit is just very subtle and not easily noticeable?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The hotfix fixes the issue mentioned above (randomly inserted wrong frames a few times per second), which could occur under certain circumstances with Asynchronous Spacewarp. This didn’t happen always and for everyone, you would have noticed if you had been affected.

If you didn’t experience this issue, the hotfix brings no changes despite addressing the settings save glitch.

reanor
    Participant

I have oculus 1.10 and used the new hotfix.
    I must say I notice no difference or performance improvement with ASW. Everything seems exactly the same for me as before. Does anyone else notice any kind of improvement?
    Do you have to enable or activate ASW or is it automatically active?
    I am running Windows 7 and the oculus home page lists Windows 8 or newer as a requirement. Is it possible that ASW is not working in Windws7 or maybe the benefit is just very subtle and not easily noticeable?

I think you need Windows 8/ Windows 10 for ASW to work properly. Also, considering that development platform for VorpX is windows 10, I recommend to upgrade your Windows, or much better – Install a fresh Windows 10.

I play Skyrim and before ASW, playing in Geometry mode (full 3D) was almost impossible (GTX 1080). Now, I can actually play Skyrim SE in Geometry mode, thanks to ASW and lowering down a few settings here and there. It’s not perfect, but I don’t mind and my brain doesn’t seem to object, I don’t get nauseous at all.

alegse
    Participant

Great news. I have been playing VorpX skyrim since DK2 and have had one major GPU upgrade and 2 cpu upgrades. I have seen improvements each time but am always looking for better performance. Installing WIN 10 today.

alegse
    Participant

Upon some play testing I really find no benefit with ASW.
    I have read a lot of people saying it is a major game changer, but I found it actually makes the experience worse.

I have only tried in Skyrim.
    In interiors I usually get 80-90 FPS and I really see no difference with ASW and actually feels a little worse (more jittery) for some reason.
    In exteriors I typically get from 35 – 75 FPS because of the great variation.
    With ASW off I usually sit around 50 fps with game at solid 90fps and feels okay
    With ASW on I usually sit at 42-45 fps with the game at 45fps (or60fps game 90fps)
    In general it all feels more comfortable with ASW off (CRTL 1 on numpad)

With Skyrim the most significant problem seems to be micro-stutter that makes the occasional frame skip and miss head rotation that feels uncomfortable. I find this still equally bad in Z-3D with FPS 89-90 fps so there is probably no real way to improve it. I just try not to rotate my head too much. Translation always feels smooth.

Side note: I noticed that the bifocal image gets really blurry and de-focused with head roll in CV1. I remember this was not the case in DK2. Could be due to the Fresnel lenses, but I noticed it is not the case in CV1 native apps. Anyone else notice this artifact?

Ralf
    Keymaster

When ‘Asynchronous Spacewarp’ kicks in, the Oculus runtime always caps the actual frame rate to 45fps and then produces one intermediate frame for each real frame based on motion estimation. The basic principle is the same as the frame interpolation you may know from your TV – including the rather similar visual glitches and hiccups it sometimes can produce.

There isn’t much of a difference between ASW and No-ASW for rotation since rotation already was/is covered by ‘Timewarp’ in a seemingly similar (albeit technically very different) manner. As you noticed ‘Spacewarp’ now does something with a similar effect for positional tracking. Nothing more, nothing less.

If a game runs at true 90fps, ‘Spacewarp’ is never active. The Oculus runtime dynamically decides to enable/disable it based on GPU workload.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!