Bad performance with Metro 2033 Redux + Rev G2

Homepage Forums Technical Support Bad performance with Metro 2033 Redux + Rev G2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    DerfelMax
    Participant

Hi all, I’m new on Vorpx. I have a 9700k+3090+Reverb G2 and tried to have fun with Metro 2033 Redux with Vorpx. I imported the local profile and the game hooks perfectly, but already at the first presenting video, Vorpx shows me a red message on the upper left corner saying that the game is running lower than 45fps, and advice me to lower settings. I run the game with my native monitor res 1920×1080, medium settings, fullVR game mode and G3D.
    Into the game, when I move forward/backward the character or turn left/right my headset indeed everything is juggering. Moreover the resolution is very poor and blurry (the image seems to be too zoomed in towards the screen).
    My questions are:
    1) is it possible that in G3D an old game like Metro is still so heavy for my system?
    2) how can I avoid that strong zoom effect I mentioned above? As far I read into the forum the local profile for Metro changes the FOV automatically so that I don’t need to bother about it.
    Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The performance warning may just flicker in occasionally because of loading hiccups or similar things. Just briefly checked the game start here on a 3080 and in the start location I get fairly solid 80/80 with default graphics settings at 1440p with occasional dips below that. You can check with ALT+F whether the warning is maybe just shown because of short hiccups.

Normally vorpX should indeed set the FOV automatically. Plrease try to reset the the profile to default in the config app and check whether you see the game listed under ‘Restore Game Settings’. In case of the Metro games vorpX adjusts the FOV by changing .ini values. If that worked as intended, you should see the game listed there.

If you still have access the the original Metro, it might be worth to check that out, probably runs better and IIRC DirectVR support also is a bit better.

BTW: In general keep in mind that with Geometry 3D everything has to be rendered twice, which typically costs about half the FPS, sometimes even more. On top of that there is a small additional overhead for rendering the final image to the headset. As long as you can keep up half the headset refresh rate all is well. GPU performance isn’t always the limiting factor, due to the twice as many draw calls that have to be submitted to DirectX, you can easily run in situations where a game’s main render thread saturates a CPU core. At that point a faster GPU doesn’t do anything.

DerfelMax
    Participant

Hi Ralf, thanks a lot for your precious explanation and prompt reply. Yesterday evening I did a reset to default and all my Metro games (Redux and Exodus) are both listened under Restore Game Settings. I also checked the game config file and the FOV line has been changed from default to Vorpx one (59.something to 83). Unfortunately I don’t have original Metro game (I also tried to buy a “base” copy online but it seems that only Redux version is available).
    I suppose I need to play with game settings in order to have a good balance between performance and eye candy.
    Just one more question. Yesterday I switched from G3D to Z-Adaptive and performance were absolutely perfect also with High settings and a res of 2880×2160 (so even if is not like G3D it is a very good mode with a perfect balance between immersion/graphic/performance).
    The “problem” is when I switch from G3D to Z-Adaptive, the scenery colours become more darker and zoom effect seems to be more pronounced like the screen is pushed on my face. May I ask you advices on how mend that darker colours (maybe play with game gamma setting?) and avoid that zoom effect (maybe work with FOV into ini file by increasing it?). Moreover, in order to increase image quality, I try to create from custom resolution a 3200×2400 but when I make the test windows freezed and I have to restart PC (even if I set 60Hz instead of my 144Hz). There are other higher custom resolution (over 2880×2160) which I can try?
    Thanks a lot again for your kind support!
    Max

Zloba
    Participant

Metro games are very weird ones on VorpX. I spent last few days trying the original and also the Redux version, just playing with game settings and VorpX settings, playing the short intro every time to compare the performance.

I was able to run the original in G3D with nice performance but once i got to the end of the intro, the game lagged like hell no matter what settings i used. Redux on the other hand was crashing every few minutes so i decided to stay with the original, but in Z3D. I had everything set up perfectly, getting 80-90 FPS @1080p, but the game lagged every 5-10 seconds so badly that it was game breaking and unplayable for me. It was like i was loosing frames every few seconds, i don’t know. And the problem prevailed no matter what settings i changed.

So i went back to Redux and found out that having the graphics preset above Medium caused the game to crash. Playing with G3D crashed the game too often also. So i switched to Z3D and now it’s buttery smooth and the game still crashes, but maybe every 30 minutes or so. I had a 90min session yesterday so i’m happy.

Btw. my specs – i5 6600, 16GB RAM, GTX1060, Win10, SSD .. so you should be fine with Z3D at least. Also one thing i find helpfull before i try to set a game with VorpX – i try playing with graphics settings, so my flat-monitor performance don’t drop below 100. If it can stay above 120, then great. This way i’m almost always able to get 80-90 FPS with VorpX. But i also turn off the Asynchronous rendering. For me it doesn’t feel smoother to have the game at 45 and HS at 90. So i turn off 2 of the options which affects that and there’s also 3rd one which i set to Faster or Safe depending which one is moother (sorry, but i can’t recall the names of the options and submenus right now. But it’s easy to find).

Edit:
    I forgot to mention that i also own G2

Ralf
    Keymaster

Worth a shot to try again with OpenXR instead of SteamVR once the next vorpX is out (will be soon). WMR via SteamVR has always been fairly prone to judder in various situations. Totally different experience in that regard with SteamVR out of the way. I’m almost inclined to say that WMR jumped from last place straight to the top as far as recommended headsets for vorpX are concerned just by getting rid of the SteamVR detour.

Wouldn’t really do anything if your issue is a problem with the game itself, but if it’s related to the less than ideal game/headset syncing with WMR over SteamVR, you’ll be in for a pleasent surprise. Either way I’d be glad to get some feedback once you tried with OpenXR.

Zloba
    Participant

Just after i posted the last post, the game started to crash like hell (on the level where you meet Khan). So i had to play with the settings again and i think i found the cause for the crashes. I turned off Advanced PhysX in the Game options and i could play for a nice hour without a crash. I’ve immediately switched to G3D and i’m amazed. It’s like night and day. Performance is not good, 30-70 FPS depending on the scene. Will see how it goes. I’ll stay in G3D if it’s playable during shootouts as it’s really amazing.

@Ralf do i have to wait until the next version of VorpX to try OpenXR? Also when i launch Mixed Reality Portal, a message pops up, that i don§t have it setup for OpenXR and that some applications could have problems. I didn§t pay attention to it as i always use SteamVR. Should i look into it before i try to play in OpenXR?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yes, you have to wait until the next update. The current vorpX version only supports the Oculus and the SteamVR APIs. OpenXR support is the major addition of the next update.

The message in the WMR portal means that WMR is currently not set up as OpenXR runtime, you should definitely confirm that prompt. WMR over SteamVR is a translation layer that translates SteamVR calls to native WMR. You only want to do something like that if you can’t avoid it. Whenever a game/app supports OpenXR or WMR natively (few do currently though), use that instead of SteamVR.

BTW: Worst thing you could do is activating SteamVR‘s OpenXR runtime instead of WMR‘s own. That would mean OpenXR calls get translated to SteamVR calls get translated to native WMR…

Zloba
    Participant

Alright, i will look into it. Looking forward to the new version. Keep up the good work ^^

Ralf
    Keymaster

Even if you’ll still encounter the framerate dips into the 30 range after the update, that will feel a lot better. Framerates below half the headset refresh rate (so everything below 45 in your case) are really bad with WMR over SteamVR. Heavy judder guaranteed. Thats’s precisely the situation where OpenXR is much, much better for WMR headsets.

vorpX is built to deal with framrates that low gracefully, but WMR headsets in SteamVR mode only really work right at either exactly 90fps or 45fps, hence the FluidSysnc option always has to be on for WMR in the vorpX menu. With OpenXR WMR finally behaves like it should (and other headsets do with vorpX).

DerfelMax
    Participant

@Zloba: thanks a lot for your reply, you gave me very useful info!

@Ralf: with the new release of Vorpx do we need to download OpenXR dev tool or we need just to prompt WMR as OpenXR (which I already have)?Thank you and have a good job!

Zloba
    Participant

Even if you’ll still encounter the framerate dips into the 30 range after the update, that will feel a lot better.

Interesting and really good news. I’ve played some more and i find it pretty playable. I even pushed the graphics settings higher now so i’m eager to see what happens :))

One question though. I’m also playing Deep Rock Galactic and i have 45/45 FPS according to the VorpX counter. But it really is so smooth, that it feels like i’m playing at 60 or even 90 FPS. So you’re right. But i was not able to reproduce that in Metro Redux. If i’m right, i followed same procedure while setting up VorpX, but my framerates were 45/90 which felt absolutely not smooth. After turning off the FluidSync and Async, i have the same framerates in-game and in the headset, but wildly jumping between 50-80 most of the time, occasionaly dropping to 30. I’ll have to check my Deep Rock Galactic settings and try it i guess.

@Zloba: thanks a lot for your reply, you gave me very useful info!

@Ralf: with the new release of Vorpx do we need to download OpenXR dev tool or we need just to prompt WMR as OpenXR (which I already have)?Thank you and have a good job!

No problem mate. After i found the thing with Advanced Physics, i’m thinking about reinstalling the original. There was also an Advanced PhysX setting which could cause the stuttering. And i played the game when it was released and i remember how it left me in awe, as it absolutely nailed the atmosphere and visuals that i was imagining while reading the book prior to playing the game. Redux version on the other hand feels like it lost some of the charm. Maybe it’s the lightning, the color scheme, or the changed music … but it feels totally different compared to the original.

And i’m also curious about the OpenXR. Today i clicked on “Fix It” after the message poped up in WMR portal (something about it not being set up for OpenXR), and after that i just got a message “Done, you’re good to go”. So is it really everything that needs to be done? I read on some Microsoft website that OpenXR does install automatically nowadays. But i also read about the developer tools.

DerfelMax
    Participant

@Zloba: as far as I’m concern click on “Fix It” should have done the job (you can check into SteamVR –> settings –> developer –> Runtime OpenXR = WMR).
    Like you I was asking to Ralf about the “OXR dev tools” as I read that for some app (like MSFS 2020) playing with some settings can improve performances without lose too much visual quality (but I suppose its not the case of Vorpx).

@Ralf: can you confirm us that with next Vorpx release we don’t need OXR dev tool installed to work best? Thanks a lot as always!

Ralf
    Keymaster

You don’t need it, but it also can’t hurt to have the dev tools installed. I have made sure that vorpX also works without by temporarily disabling vorpX’s automatic headset supersampling calculation for WMR/OpenXR since that only works right with the latest cutting edge OpenXR dev version from Microsoft.

So you should be good if you don’t want to install the dev tools. I’ll re-enable said feature once the current dev OpenXR version becomes the official one, of course.

Zloba
    Participant

vorpX’s automatic headset supersampling calculation

Sounds like something that makes life easier. Would you recommend installing the dev tools Ralf?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just realized that MS released a new version of the ‘Windows Holographic’ component yesterday, which also updates their OpenXR runtime.

Perfect timing, all working now without the dev OpenXR version. Making sure your Windows 10 is up-to-date is enough now.

Caveat: I’m not entirely sure whether there might be differences between the Windows 10 feature release versions that are still supported. If in doubt make sure you have the latest one, dubbed “20H2” (you can check that by typing winver + ENTER while the start menu is open).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!