BitDefender stops vorpx running

Homepage Forums Installation and Registration Support BitDefender stops vorpx running

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    CunningStunt
    Participant

BitDefender Total Security 2015 is preventing me from finishing the install process. Even though it doesn’t detect any threats when I scan the vorpx folder; every time you try to run vorpx, bitdefender puts a box up saying ‘disinfection in process’.

I created an exclusion for the vorpx folder thinking it would let me run it, but no, it just puts up a different box that says ‘malicious program detected’.

I’ve contacted support about the issue and will wait for a reply, hopefully they won’t take forever, i’m itching to replay some of my favourite games in glorious VR.

Edit: on a completely unrelated note, When I purchased vorpx I filled out all the info on the purchase page (using my Gmail address), then clicked paypal checkout to pay. my paypal account login is NOT the same as my gmail address, however the installation and activation email were only sent to my paypal address and not the gmail address that I used on the purchase info page. This threw me a bit as I have been monitoring my gmail account for 2 days waiting for the emails. I rarely check the old email account that I use for logging in to paypal so i’m lucky to have spotted them before coming on here and adding to the ‘wheres my email / key’ threads. I assume that by checking out with paypal all of the other text fields on the purchase page are not saved / forgotten.

TL:DR If your paypal login is not the same as the email used when filling out the purchase page then the VorpX links are sent to your paypal email only.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please contact BitDefender about this issue and inform them that it’s a false positive. They will then check the issue.

Most AV programs try to guess whether a program may be malicious, and apparently BitDefender guesses wrong in case of vorpX. Maybe because it “injects” other programs to work. Most AV vendors offer a web form or mail address to inform them about false positives.

ClassM
    Participant

Same for me, update to vorpx 0.9.1 with webinstaller.
    Bitdefender 2015 find virus “Gen.Variant.Kazy.771672” in vorpConfig.exe, so i can´t use vorpx with AV-program. Supression in AV didn´t work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

This is a BitDefender problem. Please contact BitDefender about this issue and inform them that it’s a false positive. They will then check the issue.

Most AV programs try to guess whether a program may be malicious, and apparently BitDefender guesses wrong in case of vorpX. Maybe because it “injects” other programs to work. Most AV vendors offer a web form or mail address to inform them about false positives.

tycjan71
    Participant

Hi ,
    Issue is still not resolved .
    Have same problem and its 2017 !

Only feedback that i recived from BitDefender is to convince vorp X developers to contact them directly .

This kind of problems should not appear on non beta software that cost 37 $

:(

Ralf
    Keymaster

This is a BitDefender problem, not a vorpX problem. It’s always possible to re-occur after a new version has been released.

Please report this as a false positive to BitDefender, so they can address the issue

In the meantime you can exclude the vorpX program folder from scanning.

Most AV programs try to guess whether a program may be malicious, and apparently BitDefender guesses wrong in case of vorpX. Maybe because it “injects” other programs to work.

In general I would recommend to use Windows Defender, which provides good protection without being as invasive and annoying as some other scanners.

tycjan71
    Participant

Hi Ralf ,

Could You stop copy and pasting same message over and over ?

Please read it carefully .

It looks like developers that are selling product should contact Bitdeffender support , not users.

Did You ever get in touch with BD support ?

Do You accept refund if software don`t meet security policy requirements ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

We can’t contact each and every AV vendor that falsely marks vorpX as malicious with each new release, sorry.

Your AV vendor almost certainly provides a way for its users to report false positives. They know too well that this happens fairly often. You can also exclude folders and programs from scanning.

False positives are a rather common issue with more aggressive scanners like the one you are using.

In general I would recommend to use Windows Defender, which provides good protection without being as invasive and annoying as some other scanners.

tycjan71
    Participant

Ralf

From what I know,
    this is a common problem that started over 3 years ago .
    And I can bet, that there are lots of other users ( your customers )
    that had same problem with their Bitdefender in past

The problem is,
    that they don`t necessary want to look for another reliable antivirus/malware solution,
    especially when they just both 3yr. subscription for current software !

:(

I think that I can provide cure for this disease :)
    Could You contact me directly ?

Maybe I will be able to find permanent solution for Bitdefender and other antivirus/malware applications that are affected …

Regards
    Tycjan

Ralf
    Keymaster

This happens on a regular basis with some AV scanners because they only whitelist specific versions of vorpX. Each time a new version is released, the issue occurs again.

Please follow the advice given above two times and report this as a false positive to your AV vendor, as a individual solution exclude the vorpX program folder from scanning.

Apart from that: Windows Defender is a less invasive but very good AV-solution these days. It provides almost the same level of security as scanners with more aggressive approaches, yet with a far smaller chance of annoying false positive detections. There’s not much point in using anything else.

Hope this answers your questions. It’s the best (and only) answer I can give you.

galovr
    Participant

Hello Ralf,

In this case I am on the customer side, I do not think that it is good to advise people to change their antivirus, like Tycjan stated before, what happens if the user just got a bitdefender 3 year subscription or even one year, even they got the free version and they like it, I mean yeah if you have a free version go for it, try a different antivirus, but for the paid users that is not an option. Personally I had some issues and do not like Windows Defender but to each his own.

I sent an email to support@vorpx.com about this issue and still do not receive any response (granted it is just been 24h, I do not know the waiting response time).

In my case being a little bit more handy I played with bitdefender options and even went that far to chat with their technical support and they helped me find the issue. Not everyone will look into this and they want a prompt answer from the support of a software that costs $40us, if vorpx is a free software, sure by any means you do have to do, but for me paying $49cad, the least I expect is good technical support (like the acknowledgement of email received).

The solution, you do not need to whitelist the folders of the antivirus, you need to whitelist vorpx in the Advance Threat Defense module, as easy as that, but not anyone will find the solution that easy because it is not straightforward. This makes me think that you did not even try to find the issue or were too busy to look for a solution and just referred a generic “solution” like just whitelist the antivirus folders and if it does not work, change antivirus.

I hope you use this information and put a warning to Bitdefender users to just whitelist vorpx in the advance threat defense module, because it looks I am not the only one that had this issue.

I am sorry if I sound a little agressive, as a vorpx and bitdefender user I am just stating my opinion and to be clear its been some time since I use vorpx (like 4 years), it works perfectly and I like it a lot.

Cheers.
    Rod.

Ralf
    Keymaster

This is not a vorpX problem, it’s a BitDefender problem which re-surfaces with every new vorpX release.

If you can’t do without BitDefender, you need to address this either by the steps you mentioned yourself or by reporting the issue to BitDefender so they can take care of the problem with their software by whitelisting vorpX. Unfortunately we cannot do that ourselves for every offending AV program with every new vorpX release.

Weighing the relatively small security benefit from more invasive AV scanners against the issues they cause on a regular basis, I would still highly recommend to switch to Windows Defender, which is far less annoying. But that is your choice, of course.

galovr
    Participant

I work in a company, testing proprietary software, we cannot tell the customers to change the settings of their workstations to match our software needs, so we need to do some testing to ensure our software works with all the settings and programs they need. Even if that customer uses that freaking old java version we cannot tell them html5 is better (bad example), every customer is important right?. Of course I cannot compare a work environment to a home environment.

What I mean is that vorpx is not cheap and most of the people buy it without knowing that (even if everyone says so) the program has some degree of difficulty to configure, but if they are running to an incompatibility with your program and in this case bitdefender then of course they will turn to you for help like I did.

This could be avoided by your support team or by yourself by just grabbing a free copy of bitdefender (for what I can see is the only antivirus giving this type of issues) and just do some testing to at least advice your customers about what to do, like the easy solution I gave above (repeat not everyone will know what to do), but the problem (or what I see) is that you did not even wanted to look into it just because you dont like bitdefender (I apologize if you did your testing), you cannot choose what programs the customer use, as you stated yourself it is a matter of choice. Like I said I do not recommend windows defender as I had a lot issues with it.

According with you answer you do know that vorpx has an issue with bitdefender, then why not some follow up, I repeat if vorpx is a free software cool I will look myself into it, but for the price I expect that you or your support team at least look into it and try help me resolve it.

Like I said vorpx is an excellent program and it gave me and its giving me good satisfaction and I think is worth the price, you just need to address issues like this one with some useful testing.

Cheers.
    Rod.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not vorpX has an issue with BitDefender, BitDefender has an issue with vorpX (and a lot of other software) due to its rather aggressive approach in guessing – that’s what the program actually does, it guesses – what potentially might be a “threat”.

Since this doesn’t get fixed despite numerous reports over the last years, but instead BitDefender still wrongly shows its users alarming messages, all I can do is recommend less invasive AV software.

Windows Defender is a good choice in this regard since it takes a more balanced and less invasive approach while still providing good security.

glAdius
    Participant

Thank u galovr for the solution for this anoying problem, i just bought this software and could not get it to work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!