Black Mesa support broken with 1.0 release

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Black Mesa support broken with 1.0 release

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    a_giiling
    Participant

Ive been playing Black Mesa over the last few weeks with Vorpx and it all works great, Tried to jump back in today and it loads but the menus are completely black and you cant select anything. If I close Vorpx it launches fine and I noticed they are using a new menu screen so im guessing that is the issue.

Has anyone found a work around for it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The final vesion uses a rather unique DX11/9 hybrid approach for rendering their new menu. The next vorpX will be able to partially handle that, although the menu will be shown in one eye only.

Luckily there also is a simple workaround though that doesn’t even require a vorpX update: you can switch to the original DX9 menu by adding ‘-oldgameui’ (without the quotes) to the game’s launch options in Steam.

a_giiling
    Participant

Excellent, thankyou

Noisimus
    Participant

Confirming the -oldgameui launch option works, it doesn’t affect anything other than the main menu.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks for confirming that. I only checked the beginning but that was also my impression. The actual game HUD is completely unaffected.

the next vorpX will be able to show the new DX11/9 hybrid menu (in one eye), but will also show a notification with a hint to use the -oldgameui launch option, which is more comfortable even if the menu isn’t really that important

steph12
    Participant

man this game in VR is GLORIOUS !!!

like many others gamers i played half life back in the day, but playing this in VR is incredible, thank you Ralf for making this possible :)

and also thanks to the devs of black mesa of course :p

Noisimus
    Participant

Xen really stands out with VorpX, no pun intended

steph12
    Participant

so i just played 6 hours straight in full VR, standing, with positional tracking, i could not stop playing ^^

but i really need index controlers, vive wands trackpad suck so much, died so many times pushing by mistake that directional trackpad -.-

the only glitch i noticed is some flickers on weapons and when moving head right/left, but only if i move some irl (like turning around) if i keep standing and use right wand to look around it’s all good, i guess this had to do with positional tracking, maybe someone knows how to fix that ?

anyway even with that small glitch, it’s incredible, been more than 20 years since i last played hl1, back then i would have never imagined that we’d play that game in VR someday.

Aaroncls
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, Ralf

jjensson
    Participant

Does Black Mesa support G3D without issues with the shadows?

I’m almost done with Witcher 3 (after over 180 hours :) and would like to replay all HL games before i dive into HL:Alyx. So Black Mesa is already installed. []-)

Ralf
    Keymaster

For the most part the game uses precomputed lightmaps. I think you will be in for quite a treat. Black Mesa is vorpX at full capacity. Including basic roomscale (i.e. standing with two or steps freedom in each direction) if you want.

jjensson
    Participant

Sounds good, Ralf, but still: Are there some compromises in the dynamic shadows (i know that Source Engine uses mostly lightmaps) in G3D? If that’s the case, i’d rather use Z3D, because as someone who works with light every day, nice lighting is my Nr.1 immersion factor when gaming. []-)

Ralf
    Keymaster

There are almost no dynamic shadows. You can safely play the game with G3D without having to fear that you miss anything or the game might look worse in any way. You would sacrifice a lot more in this case by switching to Z3D.

jjensson
    Participant

Alright, you convinced me. I’ll try it out. Haven’t played any 1st person games in VorpX yet, so i’m looking forward to it.

steph12
    Participant

anyone else has dynamic light quality glitch specially with water shadows rendering only in one eye with any setting above minimum for this parameter ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!