Blurry issue in pimax5k

Homepage Forums Technical Support Blurry issue in pimax5k

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    uswin
    Participant

Hi Ralf and other
    I have some blurry issue with vorpx running on pimax 5k

here is my setting:
    pitool : 1.0.1.132
    render quality : 1.5
    refresh rate : 90 hz
    steamvr : steamvr beta 1.5.7
    nvidia gtx970 driver 430.86

it seem before vorpx 19.2.0.1 everything works great, but now after update 19.2.0.1 and 19.2.0.2, the vorpx itself (in game menu, cinema world look blurry and jaggy) looks blurry and unstable, as if it is run on low resolution thus affecting the game inside of it no matter how high i set the in game resolution, in this case i even set the in game resolution up to 3840×2400 for my pimax 5k and vorpx and the game still look blurry and jagged, unlike previous version of vorpx.

it is kind of hard to explain but it seem as if vorpx itself doesn’t follow steamvr manual application resolution and revert to lowest resolution instead of high resolution.

as for the setamvr home and steam vr application such as vrchat etc etc, it looks very sharp in pimax 5k, it just the vorpx that run on low res.

any idea how to solved this, it is kind of strange this issue occur now. maybe i missed some setting or something ?

regards
    Aswin

dellrifter22
    Participant

On occasion when I launch swbf2 or bfv it can look very pixely (menu included), and I’ve found that toggling the crystal image option on the image page of the menu can fix it. See if that helps any.

uswin
    Participant

sadly, i just tried it, no effect at all, have try to change it from normal, to off , to aggressive, no changed at all, already restart both vorpx, steamvr and pimax tool after change that crystal image setting, and still no effect, the vorpx menu and the game still look low res

dellrifter22
    Participant

What games, what resolutions you trying? Tried full-screen mode? I know some game play low red in windowed.

uswin
    Participant

I have tried 2 games so far,
    Alan Wake and Alice madness, alice madness is the worst, i barely able to read the vorpx menu, as in alan wake, i still manage to read the vorpx text somehow.

like i said it is as if vorpx use the lowest resolution for my vr device
    still confuse how to fix this since this issue doesn’t occur before

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please create a trouble shoot data archive in the config app and send it to support |at| vorpx com. Since 19.2.0 there is a new safety check for the final headset resolutions to avoid excessively large render target sizes that negatively affect performance. However, the final size should never be smaller than the actual game resolution plus some extra margin to ensure that here is no impact on image quality.

With the logfile in the troube shoot data archive I could check whether that works as intended.

uswin
    Participant

Hi Ralf, thanks for the reply.
    mail sent with troubleshoot archive log for both game

regards

Ralf
    Keymaster

Judging by the numbers in the logfile everything looks OK.

Alice: game: 1366×768, final headset: 1797×1536 reduced from 6144×5250
    Alan Wake: game: 1440×900, final headset: 2106×1800 reduced from 8192×7000

In both cases the original final sizes would have been excessively large, probably due to your supersampling settings in SteamVR, which doesn’t really make sense considering that the game resolution is 4x lower. Looks pretty much as if the new safety check did what it is supposed to do.

I’ll still try both games with a Pimax later and check whether I find something odd despite the numbers looking right.

uswin
    Participant

thanks for looking into this,
    i turn on supersampling in steamvr before because i think maybe it will help the vorpx look more sharp and less blurry, before i turn on the supersampling, the blurry still visible.

Yes, Please kindly take a look at this issue, since i believe this issue always occur 100% on me now, as for vorpx version before 19.2.0, i encounter this blurry issue sometime but it is fixable by restarting my pc/ replugging my Pimax5k, and restarting all service (pitool,steamvr).

But now restarting service / re-plugging HMD didn’t do the trick anymmore.

regards
    Aswin

Ralf
    Keymaster

One more thing: did you create the log files with a Pimax or a Vive? The headset identifies itself as “HTC Vive MV” according to the log you sent. Last time I checked a Pimax 5K it identified itself as Pimax. Would be quite a surprise if they changed that.

uswin
    Participant

I use pimax 5k with latest pitool and latest firmware,
    that is why I am a bit confused as why my HMD detected as vive in steamvr.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Odd, I’ll check whether that is normal now and let you know.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just tried my 5K+ with the latest non-beta firmware (2.1.255.212) and PiTool (1.0.1.132) and the latest non-beta SteamVR (1.4.18). For me the headset shows as Pimax in both SteamVR and vorpX.

Unless you have some special 5K version that is supposed to identify itself as Vive (unlikely) I would say there is something wrong with your setup.

You should get this sorted out since vorpX does a few things different when it detects a Pimax.

The slightly blocky looking menu at low game resolutions however is unrelated to this issue and a side effect of the render target size optimization, which just does what it is supposed to do. It should go away when you run the games at resolutions that are better suited for your Pimax (>1440p).

You have to raise the actual game resolution for vorpX, not the supersampling in SteamVR/PiTool.

If you haven’t done so already, you might want to add custom resoutions higher than your monitor allows. The ‘Custom Resolutions’ section in the vorpX help has a step-by-step guide.

uswin
    Participant

that is definitely weird, i will take a look at those weird pimax/vive detection later.

as for blurry, like i said before, i have run the game on higher resolution > 1440p, i created the resolution for pimax with 3840×2400 in nvidia control panel and set it in game in that resolution, especially for alice, this blurry issue still exist somehow. Im not sure why.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not for me, but I’ll use a Pimax for developing in the next few days and see whether something odd occurs.

You definitely should see whether you can fix the wrong headset identification. Won’t completely break vorpX, but there are various things that vorpX does different when it detects a Pimax.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!