Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth. Possible with Vorpx?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth. Possible with Vorpx?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    gonzaxpain
    Participant

Ok, I’m new here, in fact, I don’t even have vorpX yet but I am considering buying it, mostly for older games that I would like to replay in VR.

Since Call of Cthulhu DCOTE is one of my favorite games of all time I would like to know if anyone here has ever tried it with vorpx. That alone would make me buy vorpx instantly. I know it’s an old game and not very popular but I guess asking doesn’t hurt.

One question: I’ve read you can play in cinematic mode, is that the same as playing a game with something like Bigscreen or does it offer any other advantages?

RJK_
    Participant

Call of Cthulhu (original game from 2006) works very well with VorpX. I have just uploaded a G3D profile to the VorpX cloud.

VorpX Cinematic Mode is different to Bigscreen. As far i know Bigscreen displays a game monoscopic on a “big screen” while VorpX (depending on the game and its profile) provides stereoscopic 3D either on a Big Cimena Screen or on a Full VR environment where you can move yourself around in. There is also another Mode which is called Immersive Screen mode which is something like a Cinema Screen with headtracking.

You have a wide range of options using one of these modes to comfort you. Some games look better in cinema Mode, some in FULL VR. I choosed Immersive Screen for this game, but you can switch to any other mode to see what suits better for you.

Now you know where to go

matteo39
    Participant

Important Note on Call of Cthulhu

Sometimes the game does not shut down properly so VorpX might not hook on restart. Remove CoCMainWin32.exe from taskmanager manually if this occurs.

gonzax
    Participant

Call of Cthulhu (original game from 2006) works very well with VorpX. I have just uploaded a G3D profile to the VorpX cloud.

VorpX Cinematic Mode is different to Bigscreen. As far i know Bigscreen displays a game monoscopic on a “big screen” while VorpX (depending on the game and its profile) provides <strong class=”d4pbbc-bold”>stereoscopic 3D either on a Big Cimena Screen or on a Full VR environment where you can move yourself around in. There is also another Mode which is called Immersive Screen mode which is something like a Cinema Screen with headtracking.

You have a wide range of options using one of these modes to comfort you. Some games look better in cinema Mode, some in FULL VR. I choosed Immersive Screen for this game, but you can switch to any other mode to see what suits better for you.

Now you know where to go

Thanks a lot, you’ve convinced me to get it. I am waiting for the activation code to arrive. I wonder why it’s 30+VAT from the link you gave and 36+VAT from the official vorpx site, by the way.
    Anyway, thanks both of you for your help. Let’s see what I can do with this. Cheers.

matteo39
    Participant

i’ve buyed dark corners now, via key (2.50 euros) :)

gonzax
    Participant

If that’s for the Steam version make sure you take a look at this, Matteo:
    https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth

to solve some of the problems the Steam version has.

RJK_
    Participant

I have used the retail version for the profile. Also tried “DCoTEPatch” but without any effect on the game. May be the steam game need that pach. PS: I have no idea where the difference is beetween those purchase links, i just copied the link from the top of this site. (Perhaps there is a regional difference in tax or so)

gonzax
    Participant

Vorpx says it can’t inject into the Call of Cthulhu exe so I’ll try at another time. I have already imported your profile so thanks a lot for that.

I’ve installed Alan Wake and it works well in cinematic mode, not so much in full VR but I sort of expected that being in 3rd person.

I’m gonna try Bioshock and see if I can play this in full VR. Thanks for the help!

RJK_
    Participant

Unfortunately i cant be any help what steam is concerned. I would suggest enabling “try to block known game overlays” in the vorpX config app. Also start the games exe directly,not through the launcher and not through steam. Set games exe to Windows XP compatibility mode. – Make a VorpX shortcut = Click on the VorpX icon in the taskbar -> then create desktop shortcut -> point to CoCMainWin32.exe . Run game directly through this shortcut.
    BTW: which windows version are you using ?

gonzax
    Participant

Windows 10.

I’ll try what you say but based on the 2-3 games I’ve tried I’m not too sure I’m going to use vorpx that much.I’ve played Singularity for an hour and while full VR works perfectly well the graphic quality is not that great, which I guess it is to be expected. Cinematic mode is very good, I might play a few games that way though I have a pretty big 4k TV set so I’m not too sure it’s worth it only for that mode.

I have to do more testing, anyway. The software is great, I don’t regret the money I’ve spent on it even if I end up not using it as much as I hoped I would.

RJK_
    Participant

When i was new to VorpX is was quite disappointed , but at the end the insane 3D experience outweights the loss in image quality against 3D Vision for example. I play most games in VR now and when ever i go back to a normal monitor evenything looks so small. I remember playing Call of Duty 2 on a 27 inch monitor with 3D Vision, that game was so hard to play, i died every other minute and i stopped playing it. A while later in VR the game was such a breeze because i was able to spot each enemy just like in real.

It will shurely take a while until you get familiar with vorpx, but when you learn how to optimize a game, i am shure you will enjoy it more. A short hint for the first day: turn up resolution to the max. Create some custom 4:3 resolutions and use the highest that your machine can take. You will notice the higher you get, the better image quality will become. ( in many older games i use resolutions way above 3000 with real crisp results ). In the VorpX menu (del) you find an option that let you sharpen your image which results in an even crisper image.

… you have purchased a space ship today ;-)

gonzax
    Participant

Well, that’s very interesting. I have a pretty powerful computer, i57600k, 16DDR4, 1080Ti so I’ll test more games doing what you say. That’s very encouraging, thanks a lot.

RJK_
    Participant

I am slightly ambarrassed, the profile ive created for CThulhu is DX9. Today i read that the game is availiable in DX8 also. Please read here for details. I very much apologize for this.

gonzax
    Participant

No worries. I have several versions of the game: Xbox, Steam and GOG and I even used to own the original retail CD but I don’t know what became of that.

Your shortcut trick worked perfectly, by the way, I was unable to open the game, vorpx wouldn’t hook but after trying with the shortcut it opened! thankyou so much for that. Now I just have to test your profile, apply the widescreen fix and see how it goes.

I still have doubts about using the profiles, I imported your profile from the cloud so it’s already there but do I have to choose it and press on APPLY every time before starting the game or only once? What if I change to a game with no profile, should I do something in that case?

RJK_
    Participant

Glad it worked !

VorpX hooks into any valid profile that is visible under “local profiles” automaticly. Theres is nothing you need to do on the VorpX side. May be a shortcut, or a compatibilty setting (windowsXP/7/Vista ect.) if a game doesnt hook right away. If no profile for a game is present, vorpX hooks into most DX9(Dx11?) games but without 3D. If you wish to play a game that hasnt a profile yet with 3D, you can try different already existing profiles by making a copy of one and adding the games exe you want to play to it. This process can be very time taking because you never know if a profile will work or not. Check in the ingame vorpX menu, if on the rendering page “Geometry” or “Z-Normal” is visible. If not you will turn out in 2D and must try another profile. Sometimes a game shows 3D this way but the image is completely distorted, theres not much you can do exept trying Z-Normal mode or lowering 3D strength so see if it helps.

I makes sense to use this game engine list to find a game with an engine that your game is using. This can speed up finding a working profile a lot.

If you are completely out of success you could put your game on the official gamewishlist or request a profile here for older games.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!