Can I Use Gamepad WIthout Vopx Overriding Controls?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Can I Use Gamepad WIthout Vopx Overriding Controls?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    haints
    Participant

Playing FarCry 5 with Vorpx right now and it is great–except the game keeps flipping between gamepad controls and keyboard controls, which makes aiming and other things difficult.

I’d like to just use my 360 gamepad as a straight up gamepad just like I was playing the game without Vorpx. I realize I’ll lose headtracking but I think it is worth it in this instance, so …

How can I do this?

haints
    Participant

Figured it out. There are options in the in-game menu. Just had to experiment a little bit.

xrc6
    Participant

I was considering recently getting FC 5 if VOrpx worked for it which is why I logged in today. What profile do you use and what settings did you adjust to get gamepad fully working?

haints
    Participant

I was considering recently getting FC 5 if VOrpx worked for it which is why I logged in today. What profile do you use and what settings did you adjust to get gamepad fully working?

Sorry for the late reply–haven’t been to the forum in a few days. I used the profile dellrifter22 created. You can download it from the vorpx cloud. All the information is in this thread here:

farcry 5 (uplay) injection failed

I’m not at my desktop so I can’t check which vorpx settings I used to fully enable gamepad but I will find out and post those tomorrow.

The profile looks good and runs really well … but unfortunately it isn’t “real” 3D. You CAN play the game in real 3D if you have Tridef 3D … there is a custom Tridef profile that provides full 3D in the game. It looks a little blurry compared to Vorpx though.

skubi007
    Participant

What is the option in the game menu of vorbX where I can only play with the gamepad? I rarely use the Rift Touch Controller.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Same question about using vorpX with standard controllers: Just got the last components of my VR rig but NOT motion controllers. I’ll probably get some in the future, but the vast majority of the games I play really aren’t suited to motion controllers, or use their own dedicated controllers (FFB wheels / pedals for racing sims). So mostly I’m in it for the head-tracking and 3D. I have little interest, for now, in the motion controller aspect of all this.

So if someone could just quickly point out, for us newbies, where in vorpX we set things up for use with Keyboard and Mouse, or Xbox controllers, that would really be appreciated.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No problem at all. vorpX even has a decent, freely configurable keyboard/mouse > gamepad mapper integrated for games that either don’t have native gamepad support or don’t like gamepad and mouse (might be required for head tracking) to be used at the same time.

TLDR: You can play any game with a gamepad, even games without native gamepad support.

skubi007
    Participant

@Ralf your help is unfortunately often no help, we need more understandable instructions. You developed the program, we bought it and we finance it. We want more support, with statements what goes and what does not work is not helped, how to do it is important.

@Ralf deine Hilfe ist leider oft keine Hilfe, wir brauchen mehr verständliche Anleitungen. Du hast das Programm entwickelt, wir haben es gekauft und finanzieren es. Wir wünschen uns mehr Unterstützung, mit Aussagen was geht und was nicht geht ist uns nicht geholfen, wie es geht das ist wichtig.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There are tooltips in the menu that briefly explain most settings.

One general thing: while vorpX allows you to customize many things, you usually don’t have to. If you are new to vorpX, most of the time you are better off trusting the profile authors that settings are dialed in in a sensible way.

In this particular case: the ‘X-Box Gamepad Override’ on the ‘Input’ page is usually enabled because otherwise there would be head tracking issues, e.g. because a game does not allow mouse and gamepad to be used at the same time. You can remap the gamepad in that case by clicking the ‘Change Gamepad Mapping’ button.

The gamepad override is a good example how trying to optimize settings can easily break the experience instead of doing anything good. It ususally is already set to the right value for a game. If it’s on, leave it on and remap the gamepad to your liking if necessary.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I’m trying to find the setting for vorpX to just let my controller pass through to the game completely natively, without vorpX trying to do anything with it whatsoever.

Is there an option for that (and where)?

xrc6
    Participant

The problem I have with trying to remap or turning off override xbox gamepad is that the game then thinks my gamepad is a keyboard and I lose some abilities. namely analogue controls. Some games are ok with this but some such as Assassin’s Creed doesn’t like this at all and becomes impossible to play.

I just want native xbox controller in the game to function

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you disable the override, gamepads work natively.

However, the override exists for a reason, and if it is enabled per default it’s usually enabled on purpose. Some games do not allow mouse and gamepad to be used at the same time. If the override is enabled per default, the game in question probably is such a game. Using a gamepad with the override disabled in a game that does not allow mouse and gamepad to be used at the same time typically breaks mouse based head tracking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!