Critical Feature Request – Independant headtracking

Homepage Forums Technical Support Critical Feature Request – Independant headtracking

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

I’m sure this has been mentioned a lot but I searched de-coupled view and Independant on the forum and didn’t find it.

would it ever be possible to have Independant headtracking, as in I face east and body points north and I walk north.

I can only assume it would be a case of having to render about 180 degrees of the game constantly, its just that the whole thing doens’t really work for full stand up VR otherwise due to this, in some ways i view this as a Critical Feature Request as some view sit-down vr as being a much lesser expereince not worth the fuss.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If that would be possible, it would have been done years ago. Something like that would require access to a game’s source code.

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

Thanks for that information, hopefully this will help other people find out this information with the search tool.

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

could you not do it the way quake II fan mod does it, it does independant head tracking as a hack, it really just follows the direction of the GUN!

i am 99% this should be possible to do without being able to get into the games code, simply follow touch controller directon, try the quake II fan mod and you will see what i mean.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry for simply repeating my answer above, there isn’t really anything else to say: if that would be possible for vorpX, it would have been done years ago.

Separating walk and look directions requires a way to alter how the game “camera” works. Usually that means source code access is needed (which was the case for the mod you mention).

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

hmm, it may be doable with this hack, if

i look east, move touch thumstick forward ,
    touch controller is facing north,
    then send left in the thumbstick instead of forward,

maybe you can look into it later, I don’t see why a 3rd party software that picks up on the direction of the touch can’t do this, and this is without game code access.

RJK_
    Participant

I dont beleive this, cant you read ?

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

but couldn’t someone else write this to work with any game WITHOUT source code, all you have to know if the orientiation of right oculus touch compared to head.

face north, point Right hand/touch east, press forward on thumbstick, strafe right.

Just Idea, maybe it can’t work, It’s just an idea.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!