Crosshair question

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Crosshair question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    face9
    Participant

Hi all,
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Very much looking forward to the next VorpX release, we’re really at the bleeding edge and it’s talented devs like Ralf are doing the cuttin’

In the meantime I’ve been playing DK2 Skyrim (Skyrift, if you will) using hacked DLLs for Vireio Perception and encountered some common 3D / VR issues and was curious as to how these are handled in VorpX.

The usual HUD / menu issues I’ve managed to work around using ini tweaks and SkyUI addons, but the 2D crosshair, as always, is an issue.

So my question is this: How does VorpX handle the 2D crosshair issue? Is there a 3D crosshair / dot sight or does it use a dominant eye method a la Tridef (which actually, I think I’d prefer)?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The “dominant eye” (shifting only one view) technique doesn’t work very well in VR, that at least was my conclusion. To be honest, I don’t think it works very well at all. vorpX worked that way first, but it’s often just awkward since your visual location gets slightly offset from your real ingame location this way, leading to a wrong yaw rotation axis, issues with collision detection etc.

I will look into a 3D crosshair at a later point in time, but would generally suggest to disable crosshairs whenever possible for the most immersive experience. In Skyrim that can be done in the game options. Doesn’t make games exactly easier of course, but at least for me a crosshair right in the center of my view is highly immersion breaking.

face9
    Participant

Yeah the visual location offset is a very good point. Guess that puts an end to my ArmA career as a sniper then ;)

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

Yeah I’m playing black mesa atm and I can’t get the crosshair to work in 3D, it has double vision, this has been fixed for 3D vision people with helix’s mod, I think the best thing for vorpx to do is offer a crosshair, it can be similar to the vorpx pointer that already displays, and that will display in the middle of the screen, of course the graphic wont be the same, but the functionality will.

I am trying to search for ways to fix this issue for this game, there does not appear to be any laser sight option that could be used instead, there is one on the RPG though, if i could find some way to put that into every gun that would be great.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Quite a few games will allow you to give a custom depth value to HUD elements (incl. the crosshair) in Geometry 3D mode shortly, which mitigates the issue for the most part. Won’t apply to everything, but at least to all games that allow to somehow separate the HUD programatically inside vorpX, for which there are several methods now. Not sure ATM whether Black Mesa is among them though.

The other way to achieve something like laser sight is using one of the Z-Buffer 3D modes. In these modes the crosshair is always drawn at the depth of the scene elements it is overlaying.

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

oh right, well that seems interesting I will give that a go with the new update and let you know how it goes.

“at least to all games that allow to somehow separate the HUD programatically inside vorpX”

hmm, not sure how you mean there, some games allow you to change the hud with ‘scale UI’, some games when you increase the 3D FOV enhancement it also moves the hud as well, changing camera height modifier sometimes also changes hud position (but not camera position).

also I did try Z-3D in black mesa, unfortunately the crosshair has a distressing shimmering effect when that type of 3D is engaged, overall I just played the game in 2D due to these issues, however the game worked really well in 3D and would love to get the crosshair issue fixed.

if this fix works this may also solve the 3 tomb raider games, as those games also had those issues.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX cannot know what is a HUD element and what is something else in all cases, since it does not have access to the game source code.

In some games it is possible to detect when the HUD is drawn through various methods, and in these cases it then can be treated separately. In other cases it is not possible to detect the HUD, in these cases it can’t be manipulated separately.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!