Cyberpunk WMR Controller Mapping

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Cyberpunk WMR Controller Mapping

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vintager
    Participant

Trying to play Cyberpunk with Vorpx, gamepad used to work, but doesn’t anymore (even with the Vorpx override).

Is it possible to play with WMR controllers? The default mapping lacks half of the actions–does anyone here have a better one / any suggestions?

Great thanks in advance!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try the standalone mod: https://www.vorpx.com/cyberpunk-vr-download/. Will be included in the next vorpX, but currently is only available as an extra download.

Comes with game specific 6DOF-tracking incl. decoupled walk/look. Since that doesn’t require mouse emulation for head tracking, controllers are set to gamepad mode per default, which works without key mapping.

vintager
    Participant

I’ve just tried the mod, and while it does offer higher visual clarity, the controls are supremely confusing. Normally, in VR, you walk in the direction in which your primary motion controller (joystick) is pointed, and while doing that, you can also turn your head around. In your mod, I’m going in the direction… specified by the second joystick. Is this a “feature”? How can I switch it off? There’s no documentation, as far as I can tell.

Or was this mod designed for playing sitting and using both joysticks to turn / walk around? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just mighty confused.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s not really a roomscale mod, the mod does not alter the gameplay. You can play seated or standing in place, that’s up to you. You should maintain your forward direction though. Turning is handled by the controller/gamepad, not via actually turning yourself around.

vintager
    Participant

I’ve no idea what this mod is, Ralf, because there’s no concrete information anywhere (apart from a few youtube statements saying it’s “Vorpx on acid”).

> You should maintain your forward direction though
    This isn’t acceptable, and inferior to the simple mouselook emulation of the “normal” Vorpx. I’m in VR, I’m not here to turn my body with a joystick, for chrissakes. How can I switch this “feature” off? Can it be switched off?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry for not meeting your needs. Yes, decoupled walk/look direction is a feature since that isn’t possible with vorpX normally, even more important for driving than for walking BTW. If you dislike that, you should indeed stick to the normal vorpX profile.

The mod will be included in the next vorpX version, where you will be able to turn the mod-specific part on/off if you wish to do so.

vintager
    Participant

No, I apologize for the blunt language in the previous post, I was just afraid this “feature” will stay as the only option in Vorpx’s next version. As long as I can turn it off, I’m fine.

Listen, Ralf, I really appreciate all the support, but I shouldn’t be the one telling you that anything, _anything_ you do in VR that “bypasses” your own body as an interface is immersion-breaking. You look where your head is pointed. You walk where your body is pointed (well, actually, where your primary motion controller is pointed, but it’s aligned with the body most of the time, so…). These are the basic rules.

It’s bad enough we have to walk with the help of a joystick (and I always prefer to use Natural Locomotion whenever the game allows it); turning your body with one is unheard of. I mean, maybe that’s how people played at the dawn of the VR age, with the Rift’s DK1 or whatever, but these times are behind us now.

I can’t describe these vaunted “6DOF” of the Cyberpunk mod as anything else but a flying armchair simulator. It’s completely and utterly immersion-breaking.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I perfectly understand that not everyone will agree with adding VR to a game “halfway”. But there are technical limits as well as time contraints, even more so for a free mod. Adding VR to flat games is a lot harder than you probably imagine and this is by far not the only mod working in this fashion.

However, being fully aware that some only want everything or nothing, I even added a little question to the beginning of the installer that is supposed to make everyone aware of what to expect in a funny way.

vintager
    Participant

I do understand the technical hurdles–I used to be a 3D engine developer back in the aughts (C++/OpenGL, started when there were no shaders at all, then worked with the horrible ARB_fragment_program extension, then GLSL, etc.), and like I said, I certainly appreciate your work & support. I just never cut you any slack because, hey, Vorpx costs 40 bucks :) And something that works well in a car or a plane game isn’t necessarily the brightest idea for a walking person simulator, regardless of how big of a technical achievement it represents.

I think you would be in a much better position if you made it clear:

–what this VR mod is and isn’t;
    –more importantly, how it’s different from vanilla Vorpx.

As it stands now, if I were someone who’d never tried Vorpx before and installed the mod, I would play it for 5 minutes, uninstall the cr*p out of it, and never touch anything Vorpx again. If you clarify, however, that the mod is meant to be played sitting in a chair and turning around with a joystick, and that the VR aspect of it is that you can tilt your head slightly to the side–AND that vanilla Vorpx allows you to turn with your whole body–that would clear up a lot of confusion.

You could also market the mod as a disabled person simulator (not joking), but it could be interpreted as an affront by a lot of people.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll consider an option for linked head-body-turning, at the very least you will be able to turn the game specific mod-stuff on/off when the mod gets included in the next vorpX.

Try driving a car with and without the mod. Lets talk more afterwards.

RobCram
    Participant

I get what V is saying. If you want to stand up and turn around when playing then obviously the body has to follow where the arms are pointing/head is looking realistically. Otherwise your head will do an Evil Dead type zombie thing and rotate whilst the body remains stationary. The way developers have gotten round this is to just have the hands/arms (HL:A etc.) and no body.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The mod is not intended to be played like a native roomscale game. If you want to play standing, the best approach is standing in place. Use the controllers to turn the body, turning your head just turns the head, like your real head.

If you want linked look/body rotations, just stick to the normal vorpX profile for the time being. I‘ll check whether both methods can be combined later as an option. No promises though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!