Dead Island Definitive Edition

Homepage Forums Technical Support Dead Island Definitive Edition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    VRan
    Participant

Hello VR enthusiasts and gamers :)

So, of course I would take advantage of Steam sale to buy some new games. And of course I will play them in VR, nothing new here :)

So, Dead Island DE, and also Dead Island Riptide DE, I am hooking both up, vorpX loads them into my Rift-s, Gamepad working, tweaked everything I wanted, FOV is nice and wide now, no Film Grain, no Chromatic Aberation. All should be PERFECT. But, it’s not… no head tracking, when I move my head, the whole frame moves with me, any suggestions? Ralf?

Cheers,
    VRan

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unless a game profile as dedicated DirectVR head tracking support vorpX emulates a mouse for headtracking, so normally any game that allows you to look around with the mouse should have headtracking.

If that doesn’t work, check whether maybe the ‘Headtracking Sensitivity’ option is set to 0. That would disable head tracking. The option can be found on the main page of the vorpX menu, as well as on the headtracking page.

VRan
    Participant

Thank you Ralf, I know the original game had perfect head tracking. It is the Definitive Edition that for some reason will not work. Also of course I checked the HT sensitivity, nothing makes any change. I tried turning head tracking off and on again (to maybe wake something up)… no…

The mouse does do the look around but it doesnt translate to the head position :(

Ralf
    Keymaster

The only other thing that comes to mind is checking whether you maybe accidentally enabled the ‘Headtracking As Gamepad’ option. That would also disable the mouse emulation. Since the DE is not supported and I never tried it, I don’t have any more specific suggestions, sorry.

Since it’s so dirt cheap currently I grabbed a copy in the Steam sale though and will check on occasion whether there is something unusual going on with the DE.

VRan
    Participant

Awesome @Ralf, yeah I got it since it was so cheap. I managed to find that in game there is an option to either use Keyboard and Mouse or Gamepad. And, when you select the Gamepad, therefore you lose the mouse/head tracking. Once you change in the game’s options to Keyboards and mouse, you get head tracking but then… no Gamepad… Is there a way to bind to the gamepad? I have tried changing in the vorpX menu to Gamepad but it wont make it work

Ralf
    Keymaster

I see, one of the (many) games that can’t handle simultaneous mouse/gamepad input. That’s what the ‘X-Box Gamepad Override’ option is for. When you set it to ‘Full’, vorpX overrides the native gamepad handling of the game and instead enables its fully configurable built-in gamepad > mouse/kb wrapper.

The default gamepad > mouse/kb mapping mimics common WASD controls, so the most important controls should work right away, but you probably will have to adjust some button mappings to make the controls work as closely as possible to a game’s native gamepad mappings.

VRan
    Participant

I have tried it, wouldn’t work for me.
    The profile for Dead Island Riptide DE wouldn’t give me head tracking even if I am using Keyboard and mouse. So I am using Dying Light’s profile since it is the same game engine. That one actually shows promise, but again, no Gamepad bypass :(

Ralf
    Keymaster

You may have to restart the game afterwards.

There really isn’t anything else I can suggest, sorry again. I never tried the game, so I can’t give you any specific hints unfortunately. However, I also never encountered any game so far where the gamepad > mouse/kb mapper didn’t work, so it’s extremely unlikely that this would be the first game where it fails.

If you can’t resolve this, please stick to mouse and keyboard. If I understood you correctly, that should work just fine.

Like said above, I bought the DE and will take a look at it myself on occasion.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is an updated profile available in the cloud (‘Dead Island [vorpX]’) that should work with the definitive editions of both Dead Island and Dead Island Riptide.

Make sure to reset the profile to default once after downloading the profile.

To compensate for the low game FOV a fairly low ImageZoom value had to be used, works best with a 16:9 resolution in this case.

The profile defaults to Z3D, which I heavily recommend. G3D is also available, but to make it work I had to set some profile flags that cost even more performance than G3D does normally.

VRan
    Participant

Thank you again, @Ralf it is working nicely, Gamepad is set on Full bypass since the game has to be set to Keyboards and mouse. Otherwise the head tracking wouldn’t work so I need to re adjust some bindings but seems like this is the best way to play this one :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Per default the override is set to partial (right stick only). That did the trick for me. Full is also OK, of course, but if possible a partial right stick override is better since that way the rest of the gamepad mapping still works as it does normally.

If you didn’t do so already, try resetting the profile to default once to make sure everything is dialed in as intended.

VRan
    Participant

Yes, I have set the profile to default. For me, it has to be set to Full for the Gamepad, otherwise the left stick wouldn’t work. Also, the buttons still need to be re bound, so I am mapping everything now and I will re bind with Partial. See how that goes.

Ralf
    Keymaster

How odd. Works perfectly fine here with an X-Box One gamepad and just overriding the right stick.

Anyway, If it has to be the full override for you for whatever reason, use the full override. The only real disadvantage is that you probably will have to remap one or the other button.

VRan
    Participant

Yeah it is weird :(
    I am trying to figure out now which key opens the wheel (on the Gamepad option it is LB but I can’t find which key does it, seems like this option is for Gamepad only)

VRan
    Participant

So far so good @Ralf changing weapons is a bit tricky but that’s fine. Any way to have the Hud tweakable?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!