dgVoodoo2 on Windows 7

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion dgVoodoo2 on Windows 7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

Hello Ralf,

Thank you very much, this did indeed solve the problem, everything works as usual.

I know what you are talking about with win10, but as far i read many older games wont even run on win10. I guess i would need to setup another HD for that purpose (when it becomes nessecary).

As you would guess now that vorpX works again, i tested dgvoodoo with Unreal 2. To give some feedback on that, VorpX didnt hook (newest dgvoodoo used), i found some DX11 WRNs in the VorpX log, may be that could be interesting for you:

INF: ProgSetting User: D3D11/iG3DShadowTreatment: 0
    WRN: D3D11 Base: feature level < 11.0 detected. Trying to force 11.0
    INF: D3D11 Base: CreateDevice
    WRN: D3D11 Base: Device creation failed: E_INVALIDARG: 2147942487
    INF: DXGI Base: CreateSwapChain
    INF: DXGI Base: CreateSwapChain
    INF: Vive Controller Manager: No controller found
    INF: Vive Controller Manager: Initialized
    ERR: D3D11 Manager: Device Feature Level too low: D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_1
    INF: Main: Detaching from unreal2.exe

Edit: also tested the game “PARIAH” (DX8) with the same result.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please consider the dgVoodoo2 preset as a playground for experimentation, nothing more. Expect most games to fail with dgVoodoo2 and enjoy the ones that don’t.

I won’t look into any issues with individual dgVoodoo2 games, sorry.

No problems with Unreal II here though, that was one of few I tried myself, so I can’t give you any hints how to solve your issue.

The main error that causes the failure is “Device Feature Level too low: D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_1”. Unless you use a fairly old GPU that error probably is also related to using Windows 7. As I said, you really should consider making your peace with Windows 10. :)

RJK_
    Participant

Hello Ralf, i am aware of that, i just thought i give some feedback on Unreal 2 because it was listed in the dgvoodoo profile. I will try the 2.54.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t think it’s related to the dgVoodoo version. vorpX uses a workaround to get dgVoodoo working and judging from your logfile that probably just doesn’t work on Windows 7.

Demosthenes
    Participant

I would recommend a separate Win 10 disk with a power switch so you don’t have to leave your Win 7 behind, and Win 10 won’t be able to interfere with boot partitions etc. Then you just switch and choose OS in Bios.
    Search for SISUN PW4101 on Amazon. That’s what I use. And Win 10 keys can found cheaply.
    Win 10 does have some great performance improvements for VR especially with newer cards.

Currently dgvoodoo on Win 10 seems to work great. Just tested Gothic 2!

RJK_
    Participant

There is a DX11.1 update for win7 ( KB 2670838 ) mentioned here. As far i understand this could possibly handle the DX11 10_1 level feature on Win7.

Though i havent tried it yet.

I would appreciate any report if anyone has got dgvoodoo to work on win7 (with or without the KB 2670838 update.)

Ralf
    Keymaster

I still haven’t tried dgVoodoo myself on Win7, but TBH I’m a bit surprised that the trick vorpX uses to make it work fails on Win7.

One thing you could check is whether you run the games you tried with a compatibility mode setting (e.g. Vista, XP or even lower). If so, disable any compatibility mode setting.

RJK_
    Participant

Yes, thanks i have tried all kinds of settings but no luck.

My debugging capabilities are very limited, otherwise i would debug a bit deeper, but if i should do some guessing into the blue, i could imagine the following (be aware my knowledge of DX is relatively limited also and i might be talking crap): In dgvoodoo you choose beetween DX11 feature_level_10_0 and 10_1. So my guess is that the device has been already created. Where Win10 possibly can handle multiple instances, the same attempt will fail on Win7. – Only some late saturday evening guessing..

Well, the dgvoodoo is not “so” important, just would have been cool to experiment with that (without installing another windows yet) because i have a couple of hundret DX7/8 games also in my crazy game collection.

Because i might me the only one with that error it would be good if other users could verify this on WIN7.

RJK_
    Participant

Hello there, i found a “workaround of the workaround” ;-) to play at least DX8 games on Win 7 with vorpX using this DX8 to DX9 Wrapper.

– tested with Unreal 2, great 3D
    – i will do some more testing with other DX8 games, may be this can be a replacement for DGVoodoo for DX8 games under WIn 7.

Ill report back when other games work too and put a profile to the cloud if that was susccessful.

Note: In case you try yourself right now, there is no profile yet for this, so you will have no 3D. I will repot back as soon i have done some more testing and a profile is finished.

Check out this nice quick late night 3D shot on Unreal 2 :-)
    UNREAL 2 with DX9 and VorpX

RJK_
    Participant

Ok, for everyone who wants to use this, i tested a few games with it and its different each time, on some games it does not work at all, other games will not terminate properly.
    So i think this can be partly used to wrap DX8 to DX9 on WIN7. It seems to behave just like that you have to try different engine profiles to get the game to work. (Vorpx seems to always hook) I will upload some profiles to the cloud for the games below soon as i have finished any.

Games tested with success (G3D) : Unreal 2, GTA 3, Madagascar.
    No success (no 3D yet) Advent Rising, Die Hard: Naktomi Plaza

RJK_
    Participant

Just uploaded “Madagascar” (G3D) to the cloud. You can use this as a base profile to experiment with other DX8 games in case DGVoodoo does not work with WIn7. ( Some games will work, some not )
    (Dx8 to Dx9 wrapper required)

RJK_
    Participant

I hope i am not raising too much confusion here.

I have now installed this DX11.1 Windows Platform Update KB 2670838

VorpX now hooks into DGVoodoo2 but without any 3D ( Tested on Unreal 2 ).

Now the main question is this implementation supposed to provide 3D or 2D ?

RJK_
    Participant

Important News for Windows7 user

I have managed to create a profile which provides G3D with DGvoodoo2 on Windows 7. There is a very good chance that this profile will work with many DX8 games, but unfortunatley i am not able to verfiy this on Windows 8/10 at the moment.

Before i properly upload and name any games to the cloud , i need your assistance for Unreal 2..

Please download this profile and add it to VorpX. Then rename Unreal2.exe to Unreal22.exe and see if you get a clean G3D on Windows 8/10. Also check if you experience problems with HUD.

Beside Unreal2 i have tested Schizm 2 today with the same profile susccessfully.

matteo39
    Participant

<strong class=”d4pbbc-bold”>Important News for Windows7 user

I have managed to create a profile which provides G3D with DGvoodoo2 on Windows 7. There is a very good chance that this profile will work with many DX8 games, but unfortunatley i am not able to verfiy this on Windows 8/10 at the moment.

Before i properly upload and name any games to the cloud , <strong class=”d4pbbc-bold”>i need your assistance for Unreal 2..

Please download this profile and add it to VorpX. Then rename Unreal2.exe to Unreal22.exe and see if you get a clean G3D on Windows 8/10. Also check if you experience problems with HUD.

Beside Unreal2 i have tested Schizm 2 today with the same profile susccessfully.

can thief 2 or deus ex 1 run with this profile?
    with standard thief 2\deus ex profiles, there are no g3d, or a bad g3d

RJK_
    Participant

Please lets concentrate on the issue from above for now.

Some News for Windows 7 readers, it appears that the DGVoodoo profile is very game dependend concerning G3D and WIN7/8/10. Today i have tested “The Thing” with DGVoodo2_54 successfully on WIN7 . (default settings)

Still looking for assistance in this concern https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/dgvoodoo2-on-windows-7/#post-173668

Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!