difference between a native vr game and a vorpx g3d game

Homepage Forums Technical Support difference between a native vr game and a vorpx g3d game

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    matteo39
    Participant

yesterday I tried alien isolation with the mod vr, and I must say that graphically it is scary, in the good sense! very precise, almost realistic graphics, practically “real” 3d …

the g3d effect of vorpx in what does it differ?

just to try to understand some technical aspects that may be of interest

p.s.
    ah now that I think of it, I’m curious to try alien isolation with vorpx to see the graphic difference

Ralf
    Keymaster

That particular case is rather unique. The game has an unused VR mode built in by the game devs, the mod simply unlocks it.

Ideally there is no visual difference, but that ideal case is not always possible, e.g. shadows are often more difficult for vorpX. With access to a game’s source code one can shift the actual “camera” for stereo 3D while vorpX works on the graphics API level (DirectX, OpenGL) after the game has done its rendering.

matteo39
    Participant

I LOVE VORPX

in the future, all 2d games will have a built-in “vorpx” mode to play also in 3d, but now we have…VORPX :) THANKS TO RALF! :)

zahncisten
    Participant

Hear hear! Lol, I definitely agree, Matteo. I played through Isolation with VorpX it is awesome! Best experience I’ve had in a game in years. It wasn’t just because the game is good, but VorpX makes games like they should be. Thanks Ralf. Looking forward.

RJK_
    Participant

Last night i tried Doom3BFG VR.Shame on me, that was the first native VR game i went into a little deeper. There was something i noticed and i hope i can describe my observation properly without beeing sceptical. – With the native VR game everything was in place, it felt absolutely “real”. The environment looked stable and in place. Later on i was testing a few other games with vorpX and “somehow” they looked different. Expecially when using headtracking i had the impression of parts of the environment geeting bent, or lines on the ceiling followed the view away from the eye in a rather non natural way.(compared to the native VR game). The only explanation i had for that (after intensively reading the forum) is that FOV seems to be the most important aspect for realism in VR and if FOV isnt right a game with vorpX may not look as good as a native VR game (i assume its all about the camera position, wrong FOV, no precise camera calculation). – In summary: Bad FOV, bad VR. !?

Ralf
    Keymaster

For ‘Full VR’ mode that pretty much sums it up. FOV indeed is the single most important thing to get right in ‘Full VR’ mode. You have to make sure that the game FOV precisely matches the headset FOV. For DirectVR games vorpX handles that automatically, for your custom profiles it has to be done manually one way or the other.

This topic is covered in greater detail in the ‘Essential Hints Guide‘, which also lists a few workarounds if no option exists to change the actual game FOV.

Note that this only applies to Full VR mode, in immersive screen/cinema mode FOV doesn’t have to be exactly right.

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, the Essential Hints Guide explained it all. Very good ! (Not that i havent read that before, i’m just getting old )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!