“Direct Mode Show Original” always on

Homepage Forums Technical Support “Direct Mode Show Original” always on

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    chukovskiy
    Participant

Earlier when I launched Morrowind or Skyrim with VorpX I always got just a black window on my main monitor. Now I see an undistorted game translation on it with no option to turn it off.
    I found some threads with following instruction to turn the translation on:

1. Open the vorpX ingame menu with [DEL]
    2. Go to the display page of the ingame menu
    3. Activate “Direct Mode Show Original”

However I don’t see this option on the display page. Only “Direct Mode Mirror Window” that creates another stereo window over the one I have. There’s how it looks like: screenshot.

I’m okay with this issue if it doesn’t require full GPU power to render 1280*1024 scene once again. And that’s what I’m not sure about.

chukovskiy
    Participant

In addition: when a savegame loads, the black rectangle with tips on it appears in front of 3D-model – the one you can rotate – mallets, dragons, etc. Same story happens even in main menu. Screenshot. Never happened to me before.
    This and above issues were experienced on clean Skyrim install with VorpX re-install (just didn’t delete registry records).
    FPS has dropped significantly since I played the game last, a couple of weeks ago.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Both changes are on purpose.

Show original:

Not showing the image for one lead to confusion for some users, and – more important – caused issues with some games that did not like that at all.

Please check whether you maybe have VSync forced in your graphics driver control panel. If so, set it to “Off” or “App Controlled”. There should be a warning in this regard normally if necessary, but at least for Vive that wasn’t shown until a hotfix release an hour ago due to a glitch in vorpX.

Without VSync there is no performance difference between the image shown or not.

Skyrim loading screen:

The vorpX HUD scaling now works differently in Skyrim, leading to a much better readable HUD when it is scaled down. The black rectangle on loading screens is a side effect of that. A small price to pay for the better readable HUD.

transmu
    Participant

I have the same problem, now that my monitor doesnt keep in black I have less fps in my games, lower performance, lag, whatever u wanna call it, and I have my nvdia driver in App controlled and the Vsync off and we cant do anything to solve it.

The reasons:
    Confusion for some users ( mmmm lol? they dont know that the image is black because they have to look into the oculus/htc vive instead of their screen?XD)
    Caused issues with some games that did not like that at all (the game wants us to play in public so will have people watching the monitor while we play ?_? XD)

Sorry for my english I am from spain and please just let the option available for users with no NASA pcs XD or give us some trick XD

Gregan
    Participant

Hi ralf, thanks for the explanation for the skyrim HUD.
    Finally this update with directVR is great and tweaking it offers more possibilities than before.
    Therefore, I have two little issues indue to this:
    – In skyrim, the perks screen stay black, so you don’t see the branchs of the perks trees ( in fact thay are behind the black square.)
    – the lines of the books seems to superpose so the reading is impossible. ( still in skyrim )

And could we get later an option to desactivate the seeing of the touchs please?

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ transmu : The only “trick” required is the one mentioned above: disabling VSync in your graphics driver. With that there in no performance difference compared to before.

@ Gregan : I will check that, thanks for the heads up. If I overlooked any ill side effect of the new HUD scaling that affects gameplay, the old method will be restored either with the next update or before that with an updated cloud profile.

chukovskiy
    Participant

I can’t really compare now and before since there’s no way to launch an older VorpX version. For feelings, (even heavy visually modded) Skyrim was playable and now (with zero mods) it definitely isn’t.

1280*1024: no VR – 60 fps. VR with no 3D – 60 fps. VR with G3D – 15 fps.
    3240*2160 (NVIDIA oversampling): no VR – 30+ fps.
    That just doesn’t seem to work “as intended”. Something is going wrong somewhere. Wondering what and where exactly.
    VSync is disabled in Nvidia CP and in SkyrimPrefs.ini.
    GTX 970 / i7 4790k / 16 gb RAM

Thanks for fast replies by the way.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It may be a coincidence, but the numbers look like being vsynced. 60/30/15 would pretty much something one sees with VSync on a 60Hz monitor.

Maybe try some other place, e.g. a small interior like an inn, as an additional check whether or not this is a coincidence.

Danoi7hexgtx1080
    Participant

Hi ralph i think you are right on 60hz monitor problem , thumbs up on vorpx by the way, if you can help me before putting hand in pocket for new tv i think you might have a solution to all complain about frame loss in game with a simple patch 100% confirmed its something to do with monitors and refresh rates locking fps to monitors hertz rates , my main pc display 50inch tv @ 60hz able to customize refresh rate to 75hz and has been main display for awhile i have been threw many pc upgrades since dk2 days ( now have htc vive ) my pc is beast it eats most things thrown at it but for ages its been hit and miss with some steam vr games and cant work out why until eureka !! past few days been having a blast with my summer car and yes its one of the games i get weird judder in thats when noticed when left fps counter on in game and was messing with refresh rate values in nvidia control panel from 60hz to 75hz and noticed slight difference was showing up on fps counter so asked a friend to pop around earlier with his pc monitor it goes up to 120hz so set it to 90hz to match htc vive …. guess what works perfect , if you can make a patch to lock vorpx to match headsets refresh rate not tv or monitor you will have a lot less people complaining about so called judder, somehow steamvr is doing it with certain games ignoring monitor and forcing headset first im not software savvy so asking you for help witch after all this time can confirm its users monitor/tv hertz thats conflicting cheers for help

Danoi7hexgtx1080
    Participant

so telling people to turn vsync off only a cure if got 90hz to 144hz tv/monitor anyone with 60hz or less will 100% be getting 60 frames or less with v sync off

Ralf
    Keymaster

VSync off also allows higher frame rates on monitors with 60Hz. It also works on your normal monitor.

Danoi7hexgtx1080
    Participant

i think this will make more sense https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

…..what i am try to say as mentioned in this reddit is that example (monitor 1 htc vive 90hz) + monitor 2 60hz = monitor 1 htc vive now 60hz due to nvidia bug ? is there a way you can make vorpx turn headset into main display or some work around as i think this is affecting alot of people and are unaware to situation or do i need to buy a new tv to match htc vive 90hz or above ?

chukovskiy
    Participant

VSync off also allows higher frame rates on monitors with 60Hz. It also works on your normal monitor.

It is true, but certainly not for Skyrim. Despite I have seen multiple old threads about “VSynced Skyrim needs FPS lock or things go crazy”, I never managed to see anything above 60 on my monitor playing Skyrim. I even set highest possible settings to be able to see horizontal distortions that are specific for VSync-off mode. And they were present. Windowed or fullscreen mode – doesn’t matter. Other games shows their 100+ without VSync. Maybe it’s a game-special driver issue or the game itself, but I can’t do anything about it.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you apply the Game Settings Optimizer settings in the vorpX config app? Skyrim is one of the regular test cases here and I can assure you that in runs smoothly at 45fps (and full 90fps in interiors on a fast machine) on a 60Hz monitor with vopX 17.1 with the mirror window shown. It also has the exact same performance as before (on Vive even slightly better).

Danoi7hexgtx1080
    Participant

new tv it is lol as said before my tv/monitor able to go to 75hz max so when used to play dk2 vorpx was flawless as dk2 75hz and my tv 75hz so constant 75fps , same when plugged in mates monitor and set to 90hz to match htc vive 90hz vorpx flawless again 90fps only drops getting are from the odd in game artifacts so hope it helps you to let people know its not vorpx it could simply be your monitor not being good enough lol i was asking if there was a work around as non vr steam game doom bfg modded can hit 90fps and still mirror to my 60hz tv without affecting fps/hz of headset i am happy with vorpx software but i do think worth looking into to stop all the judder moaners . thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!