Do you know the feeling…

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Do you know the feeling…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

*** Disclaimer: the below is NOT 100% certain to work out in the end ***

… when you lose something not terribly important, but still can’t really get over it? You probably do.

In terms of vorpX about 10% performance were lost when in the very early VR days Oculus made their devkit VR headset not behave as a second monitor anymore, which is how since then all headsets work. That made VR way easier to use, but added some complexity for vorpX. There would have been less costly methods to make things work most of the time, but in the end for a bunch of reasons the 10% performance were sacrificed instead. Sometimes the last ounce of performance isn’t everything.

The whole matter still bugged me all this time, so every once in a while I revisited it. But all the commonly used less costly approaches to related questions I tried over time (as well as some more creative ones) had their drawbacks in one or the other situation and thus were scrapped. However, I’m now about 90% certain to have found a way that works across all graphics APIs and well enough with all headsets at high as well as low framerates to be the general solution I was always aiming for. The advantages of the costly method, just (almost) without the cost. And it only took half a decade. ;)

Judging from the past there still is a chance that making this post will prove being unwise in the end, but I’m reasonably optimistic that I, and more importantly you, will finally have that effing 10% back pretty soon. Fingers crossed!

steph12
    Participant

mmmm you got me really interested here Ralf, a performance increase would be much welcome :D

fingers crossed as well !

matteo39
    Participant

very good

Minabe
    Participant

One can only hope, all the best wishes Ralf !

dborosev
    Participant

We’ll need every last frame per second for CyberPunk 2077 even in Z3D mode!
    Clear your schedule starting Sept.16 Ralf! ;)

apollon01
    Participant

Good news. Please keep us posted!

RJK_
    Participant

When i think of high res HMDs like the Vive Pro and Fallout 4 for example, every single percent can be helpful. Nice to hear that you got something cooking.

jjensson
    Participant

Most definitely! I will pre-order a Reverb G2 as soon as it opens in Germany, especially in light of that magical date, Sep17. []-) I’m done with the pixellated Rift S. And that means that every percent plus in efficiency is appreciated.

Thumbs up, Ralf!

dellrifter22
    Participant

Nice!

steph12
    Participant

Most definitely! I will pre-order a Reverb G2 as soon as it opens in Germany, especially in light of that magical date, Sep17. []-) I’m done with the pixellated Rift S. And that means that every percent plus in efficiency is appreciated.

Thumbs up, Ralf!

hum first time i hear about this reverb G2, i went to the official site and looked at specs, seems interesting ^^

Ralf
    Keymaster

A little update: after trying a few more ‘difficult’ cases, i.e. games that make heavy use of multithreading, I’m not fully optimistic anymore about the whole thing, but nothing is off the table yet.

Ralf
    Keymaster

OK, so far so good. I’m not 100% sure what the performance increase will be in every single game, most of the time it’s the expected ~10% with the observed best case being almost 20%, although that’s not something to expect in general. In some cases surprisingly it doesn’t change much at all. Long story short: since this change would affect basically everything and theoretically may have side effects, I don’t really feel comfortable implementing it without broader testing. That’s where you come into play if you want.

All you would have to do is playing your games as usual while occasionally switching between the regular and the beta headset sync and letting me know if you encounter anything noteworthy with the new method (jitter, no difference in framerate at all, cat dying, etc.). That would be a tremendous help in letting me decide whether it’s worth it or not.

Shoot me a mail to support |at| vorpx com if you are interested, I’ll prepare a beta version for early next week.

Eola667
    Participant

This is great news, whether it ends up working out or not I’m happy it’s being attempted, I’ll send a mail when I get back to my desktop, many thanks for your work.

Michelangel0
    Participant

I will contact you to use the Beta.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks so far to everyone who wants to participate. For now we have half a dozen of participants, which is great but a bit disappointing. I’m sure you can do better. Come on guys, doing a little test with the games you play anyway costs almost no time at all. Nothing to lose here, you can only gain a 10% performance plus.

Every once in a while someone comes in here who can muster incredible amounts of energy for discussing some feature they deem absolutely essential for themselves. Show me that you can also invest five minutes of your time for a little test and writing an e-mail afterwards when it comes to help actually implementing one. :)

To those who already expressed their interest: I’ll get back to you on Tuesday.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!