Do you know the feeling…

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Do you know the feeling…

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    dellrifter22
    Participant

It installs the same as any other update? or can we use a secondary install for testing?

I’d be happy to test of course. I would want to be sure though that it won’t break or corrupt my current install or database somehow, is the only reason I hesitate. Lots of custom settings and profiles :)

If it gives 10% in CPU heavy games like AC Odyssey that would be sweet!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The install procedure won’t differ from any normal update install, but you will be able to go back to the current regular version anytime by reinstalling the regular one. Profile databases will be fully interchangable.

There shouldn’t be much reason to go back though. I’ll backport the according changes from my dev branch to the current release branch. The beta basically will be the current stable build plus the new sync implementation which can be turned on/off in the menu.

dborosev
    Participant

Sounds easy enough. :) Email sent.

Ralf
    Keymaster

After some more testing with various headsets and a couple more games I’m now fairly confident that the whole thing will work out. Unless you guys find something next week that I overlooked, you will all be able to enjoy some nice 10-15% performance boost almost across the board pretty soon. G3D as well as Z3D in almost any game, with only some exceptions where it doesn’t really change much. There are also exceptions on the other end of the spectrum, e.g. Monster Hunter World with about 20%, Kingdome Come Deliverence (with some luck all CryEngine 3 games) 25% or Witcher 3 with almost unbelievable 33% in my test run. This is getting better and better. Your mileage may vary based on resolution, game settings etc.

The old sync method won’t go away, so if with one or the other game it turns out to be the better choice for whatever reason, that won’t be a problem.

@ dellrifter: didn’t check AC:Odyssey, but in AC:Origins the plus is somewhat north of 10% for me. Odyssey should be pretty much the same.

Anyone who wants to check this prior to release still can simply shoot me a mail to support at vorpx com. I’ll send out links to the beta build Tuesday, maybe Monday.

steph12
    Participant

this is great news !!! thanks for always trying to improve VorpX in many ways ! :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

One more observation: apparently there are situations where the current headset sync mechanism holds back things massively, way beyond the 10-15% that are to be expected. You will see huge benefits in some DX11 games when the GPU is the limiting factor, not the CPU. Typically this would be Z3D with high resolutions. With this combination the performance gain can be up to 40% compared to the prior default. Measured on a GTX 1080 Ti in Fallout 4 and AC:Origins at 4K resolution and 3D at ‘Z-Normal’.

Don’t expect something like that with every game at 4K/Z3D, but with some the difference can be huge under these conditions.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Wow! I try to push my Z3D games to 6k if I can which looks very sharp in the Reverb, but definitely taxes my GPU. Would be amazing to to see my sub 30fps hitting closer to 40. I’m excited to test this with AC Odyssey and RDR2.

I’m not sure what voodoo you are conjuring, those gains seem like they would out perform my 2D monitor play even. And no side effects so far? What gives?

Also great news for me if CryEngine 5 sees a similar boost you are seeing with CE3. Up to 25% G3D? Exciting.

Ralf
    Keymaster

For RDR2 things won’t change, DX12 is something else entirely. Maybe the next ‘big’ vorpX update will bring changes here since I’m currently working on a full DX12 backend troughout the whole pipeline. Currently DX12 uses a DX12/11 hybrid approach, rendering to the headset is still DX11. Can’t tell yet whether the DX12 only backend will affect performance in any way though.

DX9/10/11 and OpenGL are the APIs affected by this change. DX9 games for the most part are fast enough these days, here you will most of the time see the 10-15% that are to be expected (provided games don’t run at 90fps anyway). The big surprises are some games and/or special conditions under DX11.

Still, typically expect the 10-15% that I originally expected without much variation everywhere. The 20-30-40% cases will not be the norm. They are pleasent surprises though.

RJK_
    Participant

WOW, just a few more frames in FO4 and ill spend another 9 month in the wastelands…

.. would definately be smart to leave a switch in the final realease for games that may behave unexpected.

dborosev
    Participant

I’ve been running all my games at 8k resolution, so I can’t wait to finally run at 16k res in G3D.

;) Nice little performance boost to make an already awesome product even more awesomer!

kurry
    Participant

Cant wait to test this out when I get my HP Reverb G2.
    I sold my CV1 years ago, and the only thing I miss is tinkering around
    with Vorpx.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Last round of kitchen talk before I’ll do the beta build for next week. Checked Pimax today and so far Pimax was the only headset that in two of the tested games had issues linked to the new sync (added judder/double frames). Probably their ‘Brainwarp’ got confused somehow.

So for Pimax users there definitely will be cases where the old method is preferable. That won’t hold anything back though. Depending on your findings next week – I think we have at least two Pimax testers now – Pimax users will either get a warning in the headset or the original method will stay their default and they have to check whether the new one works per game.

BTW: Hadn’t used a Vive for while and have to say although the screen door effect is borderline offensive, its bright OLED display with at the same time (almost) true black still has a certain appeal compared to the LCD screens in most current headsets.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks again to all who want to participate. I think we have enough testers now. Totally awesome, guys. Since this change affects almost everything, I feel much better having it tested before rolling it out. Links will be sent on Tuesday.

To everyone else: nothing is 100% certain yet, so there still is a chance that things don’t pan out in the end, but if all goes well during the test, there will be a maintenance update containing this change shortly.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!