Don’t let Shader/profile editing intimidate you, its easy.

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Don’t let Shader/profile editing intimidate you, its easy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Just wanted to say, I went in and fixed a profile I was having lighting issues with last night. (Deep rock galactic), and it took my maybe 10 minutes of messing around to find the offending lighting issue and set it to “no transform” which made the visuals 10x better.
    Looks nasty at the start, but once you see how it works, its not bad. Just follow the instructions in the help under “user profiles”.

Petoodle
    Participant

Thanks a lot for that, Ill be trying it to fix some issues I have.

nrosko
    Participant

Is this advance profile authoring where you have to request it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Largely, yes. There are still a few unlockable things for the super-pros, but the most important things are available for everyone since quite some time.

nrosko
    Participant

If i create a user profile how to a delete the exe. the the local profile so i can try the user version? Add remove button is greyed out.

cercata
    Participant

What do you mean by shader editing ?

Editting the VorpX profile is much easier than I expected, I guess no technical knowledge is needed, only following Ralf’s tips. And if you read the VorpX manual 15min easier.

Amazing job on making this accesible

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

Thanks for the encouragement – I tried it out. It is very similar to shaderhacking mods with 3D Vision by our 3D Vision community.

Is there any explanation about how to stereorise something which isn’t stereo? e.g. Shadows? Disabling them is all well and good but playing a game without shadows in 2020 is a bit basic. 3D Vision guys mostly get things working perfectly and I would like to be able to do that with VorpX if possible too without too much messing about :)

There are plenty of shader settings in VorpX such as Matrix etc. It would be good to have detailed documentation on what these settings mean and how to effectively wield them.

Hats off to Ralf for making this an in-game feature. Well done. Just needs a little polish now…

Ralf
    Keymaster

There are a variety of options shadows can be dealt with. Not all of them are exposed to the UI though. Replacing shaders is currently available for DX9 in alpha state. If you want you can already do that for DX9 games.

That’s quite a bit more complex with vorpX though than in some basic stereo injector you may be accustomed to. vorpX is a lot more than that, e.g. it can also do positional tracking, which you will have to also handle in your replacement shader code when you fix effects.

Hint: when you keep the 3D-Strength at realistic levels (which is the purpose of VR and thus vorpX), typical shader glitches are usually not overly distracting.

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

Unfortunately Most VorpX games have broken Shadows, which “basic” stereo injectors manage to fix in DX9/10/11 just fine.

Maybe you might consider asking some 3DVision guys how they do it? I’m sure they will be happy to help from my humble experience. Win-win for everyone.

Hint: Broken shadows are distracting no matter what the level of 3D strength ;-)
    Hint 2: As many people have replied to you – “realistic” is a relative term, and varies game to game, person to person, profile to custom profile – even with seemingly perfect math behind it.

Looking forward to advancements in this area in the future…

Cheers.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Wrong. Actually no basic stereo injector manages to do that better than vorpX. Quite the opposite is the case if I may say so.

There are communtity fixes done by volunteers for one particular basic stereo injector that do that for some games, fairly often broken BTW and obviously not officially supported by anyone. Also as said above vorpX does more than just stereo shifting, making this a more complex matter than in a basic stereo injector.

You can do similar communtity fixes (currently DX9 only) for vorpX too. Replacement shader support will eventually come to DX11 too, so far however only DX9 is available in alpha state.

If you have some experience with that kind of stuff, hack away. :)

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

…anyway:

Would it be possible to write more detailed documentation on how to make profiles/fixes with Vorpx’s various options? The various ways that VorpX handles shaders is intriguing and it would be great to have more details on what each method does and when it ought to be used, e.g. Matrix(?)

It would be cool if there was a community who learned from the documentation and helped each other. Less stress and work for you, and win-win for everybody.

Maybe RJK could start a school of some sort?

Cheers.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If only there were was a community anywhere 1/10 the size of the number of people wishing there was a community doing this or that for them. In other words: Writing a forum post about how great it would be if there was some community doesn’t really help create one, only doing stuff does. :)

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

“If only there were was some community anywhere 1/10 the size of the number of people wishing there was some community doing this or that. Writing a forum post about how it great it would be if there was some community doesn’t really help create one, only doing stuff does. :)”

I don’t understand – I asked if you could write documentation so we can make fixes and perhaps a community would arise helping each other out, as with numerous examples out in the world.

Your reply is sarcastically highlighting that people wish communities would do something instead of doing it oneself.

…what?

Making fun of people who want to make fixes, and the idea of a community arising around your own product, is disheartening. Sarcasm is also toxic and obnoxious, as well as being considered the lowest form of wit my friend. I’m sure this is not what you desire for your forums, but who am I to judge…

Anyway: Indeed, if there was detailed documentation on how to do it, people might try – I already have, as mentioned earlier. One cannot progress if one doesn’t know how ;-)

Cheers.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In case you overlooked that above: replacement shaders are still alpha. There are some basic instructions in the help though (which you probably didn’t read). Caveat: a lot of that is still subject to change.

I wasn’t sarcastic at all. I’m just fairly well aware that your contributions to communities usually are limited to talking, which personally I happen to consider not too much of a contribution actually.

RAGEdemon
    Blocked

My reply was deleted by you and this one will likely be too, but I did read it as stated above – that’s how I was able to activate and disable shaders.

Nowhere in the documentation does it explain such things as the ‘Matrix’ option or any of the modifiers, as stated above (“which you probably didn’t read”), hence the reason for asking for detailed documentation.

Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!