F22 TAW

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Staniol
    Participant

Dear vorpx experts.
    Let me introduce you one of my favourite vintage flight sims.
    This had a really good dynamic campaign, ability to create and fly missions, being AWACS, etc.
    It has a fan made rework, which has headtracking and using dgvoodoo 2.
    If I could fly this in 3d vr, that would be awesome.
    With my limited knowledge, I tried to run it with no success.
    I don’t want to ask someone to do this instead of me, I am happy to start working on this, but I need a couple of clues, how to start experimenting with dgvoodoo2 and vorpx.
    Thank you in advance,
    Staniol.
    Link to the game: https://community.combatsim.com/topic/20202-f-22-total-air-war-230-final-released/

Staniol
    Participant
    Staniol
    Participant

Some additional information, which can be useful, someone managed to get it working with 3dvision:

https://community.combatsim.com/topic/46806-taw-now-working-with-3dvision/page/2/

RJK_
    Participant

First you must find out the Directx version the game is using. Anything below DX7/8 will not work with VorpX in 3D. If it has DX7 or 8 there is a chance of 3D. When using the default DGVoodoo3 profile and you dont see any 3D right away you may go through the shader settings page and step through the shaders with option (top right) “Hide”. If you meet a shader that makes the game 3D, make that shader “active”. Then do the fine tuning like 3D strength ect.

Staniol
    Participant

Thank you for the help, will give it a try tonight.

Staniol
    Participant

Had no luck. The game’s executable is called f22.dat (yes, tell me about it…). Without profile it runs fine in immersive screen/no 3d. If I assign dgvoodoo profile, it cannot attach.

RJK_
    Participant

This is weird because you are using DGVoodoo2, vorpx should hook into the game when using the base profile.(Not one game i have tried so far refused to work, though many were 2D only) the only thing i can imagine is the remake is using iether OpenGL or DX9. To verify this try different DX9 profiles with the game eg. Tombraider Legend, Halo ect. or try an openGL profile eg. Quake4, Descent2. Also make shure that you add the proper games executable to the profile. IF vorpx is hooking with one of the methods above and you have no 3D, you can put the game on the wishlist.

Staniol
    Participant

Alright, I had some time yesterday and I am closer now to understand the problem.

Yes, the main executable of the game is f22.dat, but without dgvoodoo, vorpx cannot hook on it.
    The base game can be run in directx and opengl.
    Directx version by default is 5 so its out of the scope as vorpx is not supporting it.

For opengl, the remake comes with an older dgvoodoo (1.5), and it is being used only for the 3d (opengl) elements as far as I understand.

So, dgvoodoo 2.5 will render the whole game (ui and the 3d part) on the required DX layer (11) which Vorpx can hook onto.
    So my main task is, to get the game working with dgvoodoo 2.5 (without pass-through for dx).
    Is my understanding correct?
    I already tried dgvooddo 2.5 and failed miserably, but if I am on the right track, I wont give up. :)
    Thank you for your help so far.

RJK_
    Participant

You must uncheck the pass through option. Enable the DGVoodoo logo to see if DGVoodoo hooks. If so, vorpx should hook into the game through DX11 but since the game is DX5 VorpX will provide 2D only.
    If you wish to use opengl remove any DGVoodoo stuff from the games directory and try vorpX with one of the Quake and Descent 2 or other OLDER OpenGL profiles. There is a chance of 3D through OpenGL.

For opengl, the remake comes with an older dgvoodoo (1.5),
    DGVoodoo 1.5 is not an OpenGL wrapper it wraps Glide to DX7 or 9

Note: Some games dont even work at all. So no guarantee.

Staniol
    Participant

Oh my old, defecting brain!
    Really sorry for everything.
    The game has no opengl, it has glide.
    Every time I wrote opengl, I should have written glide.
    This explains a lot of other stuff.

So in nutshell, Dx5 is no go, glide is no go too.
    Well, apologies again. I am really getting old.

RJK_
    Participant

One thing you could do is trying one of my experimental profiles together with DGVoodoo2 s glide wrapper. Click here, scroll down to Undying and Summoner. There is a chance for some fake 3D, no real 3D reconstruction of coarse. If it works use force resolution in DGVoodoo2 for a better image quality.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!