Fallout 3 – HMD Goes Black After a Time

Homepage Forums Technical Support Fallout 3 – HMD Goes Black After a Time

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gse111
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve searched on the forums and on Google for similar problem description that I am having and I couldn’t find anything, so now I’m posting to request help.

I’ve just started playing Fallout 3 and I’m having the strangest problem. After a period of time running the game, say 30-60 minutes not sure exactly how long, the picture in the HMD goes black. Even with the HMD black, the picture is still there on my monitor. Also, although the game world has disappeared in the HMD, I can still bring up the VorpX menu on the HMD. Finally, when I quit the game, the SteamVR underlay immediately comes up, so I know there is no problem with my HMD.

So HMD game world goes black, VorpX menu still comes up, game world on monitor is fine and game keeps running (so I can save and quit and not lose any progress).

I do have a few mods on Fallout 3. The recommended ones like the unofficial patch, the 3GB enabler, the automated Purge Cell Buffers as well. I do have others on also but I’ve already tried running with mods disabled and it doesn’t help. Actually I only installed the 3GB enabler and automated PCB after coming across the problem in an attempt to fix it, but it didn’t help.

Also, I’m playing with DirectVR mode enabled.

It doesn’t matter if I’m actively playing the game or not. I’ve paused the game before to do something else away from my PC, and when I come back it is in the blacked-out state.

Throughout it all, the game continues to actually run, I can hear sounds, and the image on the monitor is still there as well, only the game world rendering in the HMD seems affected.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue? I’d appreciate any help trying to fix this.

Thanks

edo
    Participant

I have the exact same issue with Skyrim and my HTC Viv. I haven’t played fallout much . It may be there too. After a interval which seems always about the same , maybe 45 to hour , it starts blinking an then goes black.

I looked to see if there was a timer option which was trying to tell me to take a break but no such thing apparently. It is almost clockwork in the time frame in which it cuts out. Like you the display once I Task quit the game is on and running fine in the steam world.

Maybe Ralph is just looking out for our health and wants us to quit for a break every hour?

gse111
    Participant

I think I’ve found the solution, or rather someone else had a similar problem and I’ve tried the same solution.

I disabled Crystal Imaging as suggested by forlaunchcast in the thread Various games crashing after about 30-60 minutes.

I’ve played about 2 hours so far and it hasn’t repeated this HMD glitch on me once (got the game crashing on me fairly often at the moment but I think that is just Fallout 3)

markbradley1982
    Participant

Yeah disabling Crystal Imaging will fix this problem.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!