Fallout 3 is amazing with Direct VR!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Fallout 3 is amazing with Direct VR!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Karlor
    Participant

I had to come give further props to Ralph and vorpX. I’ve used it for a long time, ever since I got my DK2 when those first shipped. It’s always worked, and been a great tool to enjoy non VR games in VR. I got a Vive now and am going over all my favorites to see how they play now. I tried the direct VR in a few games and it worked great as an easy solution to just tweaking settings like the old days. But when I ran it in Fallout 3 I about fainted.

I have to say vorpX has really, really knocked my socks off yet again. After running the direct scan in Fallout 3, it just feels like your actually transported into the wasteland. The FOV gets set, the position locates you and bam your there… Its damn near perfect 1 to 1. Crystal clear image, the best image quality in an injected game I have ever seen. The vanilla textures even look good in VR! They’re muddy up close but the clarity of the image and the fact that parallax textures now work in 3D and you got a feast for the eyes.

The room scale works so good I’m actually stunned. You can use cover, peek around corners, walk around and browse and loot. Its unreal how good they got it working for this game. This feels as close to a native game as your going to get. Sure there are some issues with UI and CTDs but that’s more a Fallout issue then vorpx. Really need to patch the memory and get some other UI mods to see if I cant solve these few issues..

I was so floored by how amazing it worked that I ended up playing until 5am two nights in a row. I haven’t even tested out mods because I cant resist popping back in to Fallout 3 VR. Its just so damn good, its freaky…. Really guys, if your half a Fallout fan you must try It in Direct VR. Even if you think you’ve played it with older vorpx versions, try it now, you wont be disappointed.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Are you using Windows 10 to play? I have the GOTY edition but am unable to get it working with Vorpx due to the d3dx9.dll fix for getting Fallout 3 at least working with Windows 10.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please remove any d3d9.dll drom the game folder. vorpX has a Windows 10 fix for the game built in. No need for any DLL copy hack.

Karlor
    Participant

It took some doing but I got it running on windows 7. I used the old fix to get it running, i had to get it booting then I was able to remove the dll. After that it fires up no problem. I need to look into memory patches next time I get the time. Also a bullet time VATS mod would be really cool. If you dont need to run win 10 i would recommend 7 for Bethesda games. I guess 7 has more memory it can use with the hacks then with 10.

I still cant pull myself away to go modding! The only way Fallout 3 VR could get any better would be for someone to make a mod that adds motion controlled guns and melee. Cant wait for modders to get headsets and start making awesome stuff.

Anyway this will more then hold me over till FO4 VR comes out.

P.S. Using the mini gun in VR is a hoot! It also looks really cool to hold that big gun in 3D.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Ralf:

I have tried to get Fallout 3 GOTY working without the D3dx9.dll in the game folder and tried applying your fix (in the past) in the optimize game section of Vorpx but it doesn’t work on my computer. I tried your fix again today without the .dll file and fallout 3 still crashes and refuses to run. I’m presently stumped as to getting this working without the hack and to get it working with Vorpx. Frustrated (along with everyone else) with Bethesda for not thinking about their Fallout 3 customers & Windows 10. Thanks again Ralf…if you have anymore suggestions I’m listening.

Karlor:

I don’t have Windows 7 anymore. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You do not need a d3d9.dll in the game folder. vorpX contains a specific fix that makes the game run on Windows 10, probably the same that the DLL you tried applies. Any d3d9.dll in a game folder bears the potetntial of injection conflicts. Hence the warning message in this regard. Please NEVER do something like that when using vorpX.

The game is tested on a regular basis (current Steam version). Maybe old CD versions don’t work since the need the now defunct “Games for Windows Live” in addition to the Win 10 fix. The current Steam or GOG version should work just fine.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

As I stated already, I’m ‘NOT’ using the hack in my game folder and have tried your fix but it is not working with my system. I am using the steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY. The only other option I will try is to uninstall Fallout 3 from my computer and reinstall a fresh copy. If that doesn’t work then I guess I’ll have to give up on it.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry that I can’t be of any more help regarding your issue. The current Steam version works perfectly fine on Windows 10, as it always did. Tested for you a minute ago to be extra sure.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Thanks Ralf. I just finished reinstalling and applying your fix to Fallout 3 on my system after uninstalling and it actually works now!!! Thank you so much for all your hard work in bringing us this great software.

Cheers!!!

Karlor
    Participant

Glad you got it running! I did some modding finally and heres a few to look for.
    Patches:
    Fallout3 WinXP-7-8-10 Multicore Threading 4GB LAA
    https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/21888/?

Quality of life impovments:
    RH_IronSights – FOSE
    https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/6938/?

DK_BulletTime
    https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/1193/?

No Scopeless Zooming
    https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/11269/?

Fallout 3 – Enhanced Camera
    https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/20183/?

HUD Stuff:
    UIO -User Interface Organizer
    Adjustable HUD
    Immersive HUD
    Interface Mod – Revelation

In game set your bullet time hotkey to C (right hand pad button with Vive).
    Set your permanently run button to left shift from caps, this way it matches left hand pad button and you can toggle run and walk easily.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Thanks Karlor, I’ll look into these soon.

Cheers!!!

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

The FWE mod is amazing. Might be a bit too hard for VR on the default settings, but it is highly customizable. Having to scrap for food and supplies just to survive knowing that every bullet counts works so freaking well for this setting. Going throug the sewers of DC was one of my most tense video game moments ever. I highly recommend it if you want to refine the gameplay a bit or completely overhaul the game into a hardcore survival experience.
    Gopher made a great series on some of the essential FO3 mods, though some mods might be a bit outdated, so do your research if you want irgon sights with FWE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_f4vHiutA&list=PL77ECC4B6194E1685

Karlor
    Participant

FWE does sound cool, I’ll end up doing a full install of it and EVE and the other cool ones Im sure. I’m trying to be minimalist about mods this go around though, but that never lasts too long :)

I’m trying to get ENBoost going next but need to tinker with settings. USE THE PATCHER I have listed above. Its a life saver! I went from crashing every 5 to 30 min, after patching I had 1 freeze up in about 8 hours. Really worth installing.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Make sure to install this https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/? You need FOSE, but the New Vegas version works just fine on FO3 and even Oblivion.

You should also consider playing Tale of Two Wastelands, which makes both 3 and NV playable in the NV engine. You can travel back and fourth between the two games by train. I’ve heard that it is more stable than FO3 and you can use many NV mods in the FO3 world.

Karlor
    Participant

I ran into a nasty bug where the game lags to the point of not running while wielding certain guns. Things will be running fine but when I equip certain guns it lags to the point where it takes me out of the game and I see just the Steam VR loading room until I put it away.

I think it could be the No Zoom aiming and the Iron Sights mod conflicting maybe. I also installed IMPACT about the same time it started glitching out with certain guns. That mod required adding few more ESPs to the Iron Sights mod and that’s what I think broke the scripting in FOSE. When those extra scripts for the added guns required for IMPACT I think did something. So I gotta go back and uninstall those and find a save that’s not infected yet. Seems to run fine in 2D but when in VR it glitches out.

So just a word of cation on those 3 mods. I read that FOSE can get “clogged” up when trying to run scripts that don’t need to be ran at that time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!