Fallout 3 is amazing with Direct VR!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Fallout 3 is amazing with Direct VR!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Karlor
    Participant

I pulled IMPACT and RH Iron sights and the terrible lag went away. So somewhere in the Iron Sights mod is something that doesn’t play well with 3D. So might want to avoid using those few 2 or 3 mods together.

freelivorno
    Participant

Hi i have goty edition if i understand well (i speak not very well english):
    1) i must remove ddl of directx 9 from game directory
    2) apply the mods posted by Karlor
    3) in menu game launch direct vr option
    Its right? or i mistake something
    Thank you very much

Karlor
    Participant

The most important thing is to get the game running first. Dont worry about VR/vorpX or modding or anything until you get it running just nice and normal.

Depending on what operating system you have, getting it to run will require different things. Once you get the BASE game running normal in 2D then worry about vorpX/VR.. then from there think about mods that might aid game play.

Im staying away from straight graphic mods like over grainy bloated texture packs. I think they’re ugly especially in VR and they hurt performance quit a bit.

ALWAYS use safe modding. Create a few “hard” saves before adding ANY mods, that way you have a safe save game to go back to if you run into issues like I did. I got lazy and threw to many mods in to try to get something to run and all it did was mess up some things. I was able to revert but that’s not always how it works out so just be careful modding. Also mods that have zero chance of having issues in 2D will spring leaks in 3D… These are issues that more then likely would NEVER spring up under normal circumstances but in 3D they manifest.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Freelivorno:

I had problems getting FO3 working even after removing d3dx9.dll from the game directory. So if you still can’t get it going after doing so, then try un-installing FO3 from your computer and then re-installing it. That did it for me.

You then just need to apply Ralf’s fix for FO3 in the game optimization for FO3.

Cheers!!

dwfndley
    Participant

the mouse pointer is tied to the headset and not my (windows mixed reality) touch controllers. is there a way to fix that, because as is it makes the game unplayable.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Since WMR controllers have a thumbstick instead of the Vive controller’s touchpad you have to switch the “Trackpad Mode Right” option on the “Vive Hand Controller” page of the vorpX ingame menu from “Trackpad” to “Thumbstick” to use your WMR controller in the intended manner.

dwfndley
    Participant

BRO the touch controllers are a trivial problem. I’d play with mouse and keyboard or a gamepad if the game was otherwise playable. It’s not. You should advertise honestly and say ‘gamepad only’.

at the very least you need to hack and mod the game so that the zoom-in-to-face for every NPC interaction is disabled, because that causes quite a lot of sickness. and then the interface menus need to be static against the screen, and not move with the headset.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s not gamepad only. Some people played FO3/NV roomscale with Touch/Vive controllers for dozens of hours. Both games also work with mouse and keyboard, of course. Make sure to disable your gamepad in the game’s options menu if you want to use mouse and keyboard. Bethesda RPGs deactivate mouse/keyboard input while the gamepad is active, with or without vorpX.

For menus and conversations it’s best to switch to EdgePeek mode, which allows you to look around the screen while using static menus or watching cutscenes, making these situations a lot more comfortable. EdgePeek can be activated via: mouse: wheel click, gamepad: thumbstick click or VR controller: grip button click.

The above hint and other basics worth knowing can also be found in the “Quickstart Guide” and the “Essential Hints Guide” in the vorpX help.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!