Fallout 4

Homepage Forums Technical Support Fallout 4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Infinite
    Participant

Hello! I have tried to start fallout 4, but that is about as far as vorpX gets. I start it and then vorpX crashes. At least I think it does, as I see the loading symbol, hear the sounds of the game (set to 1920×1080) and yet that is all it does. maybe I’m impatient and it takes a minute. But I was able to get IN game (looking past my nose at the monitor) and it still didn’t show anything. Is there a reason why?

red
    Participant

Please confirm : are you using an Oculus DK1, DK2 or CV1?

Are you using Oculus Runtime v0.x or v1.3.x?

Can you see the Demo Scene (if using Runtime v0.x) or the Oculus Store (v1.3.x) from your HMD?

Are you using VorpX v0.9.1 or v16.1.2?

Are you able to get anything running correctly in the Rift other than Fallout4 (with or without VorpX)?

Infinite
    Participant

I am using the Oculus CV1.
    I am running Oculus home.
    I can run all of the Demos (have not tested with VorpX running, will test that soon)
    I am running version #16.1.2
    Same thing is happening with all the games (borderlands 2 for one)

EDIT: when running Oculus home games through vorpX they ask to close Vorpx.exe and I’m betting that’s how it is for everyone.

red
    Participant

With the Oculus Runtime and VorpX running, can you right-click the VorpX icon (in the taskbar notification area) and run the VorpX desktop viewer?

Infinite
    Participant

Yes, and I can see my desktop, but once I run the game (even through the vorpX shortcut creator) it crashes and gives me the option to run the vorpX desktop viewer.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Infinite
    Participant

I don’t run oculus runtime, I just run Oculus home. Is there a difference, and do I need runtime? And if runtime is what I think it is, it breaks Oculus home.

red
    Participant

If you’re running apps in the Rift from Oculus Home (Lucky’s Tale, JauntVR, etc) then you’ve got the Oculus Runtime installed. Oculus Home is just a front-end for the Oculus Store, but requires the Runtime to work just like VorpX. So if you can run Lucky’s Tale then you’re in a good position to run VorpX.

So; with Oculus Home running on your monitor (showing ‘Store’ and ‘Library’ in the top left) and in the Rift (with ‘Welcome to Oculus Home’ heading) you can then run VorpX… when it’s running there is an icon in the taskbar notification panel (don’t run the VorpX Desktop Viewer).

You might want to right-click the VorpX icon and ‘Configure VorpX’ to use the ‘Game Setting Optimizer’ for whichever title you’re about to play (Fallout4!).

I’ll assume you’re using the Steam version of Fallout4 and that the game runs well without VorpX. Make sure Steam is also running.

We’ve got : (1) Oculus Runtime (Home), (2) VorpX, (3) Steam all running, so click ‘Play’ from the Steam games list entry for Fallout4. Ideally, you should now be running Fallout4 in the Rift.

If you can’t see anything in the Rift then click the middle mouse button to get into edge-peek mode, Alt+Space on the keyboard to recentre the Rift view, the press ‘Delete’ to fine-tune the experience.

Let me know which part of the process didn’t work, and we’ll take it from there.

Infinite
    Participant

Ok, I will try this at as soon as I can. So in about 6-7 hours ill write back and see if its fixed. Thanks once again for the help!

Infinite
    Participant

Wass able to try it real quick, and nothing. I restarted my computer, and turned on the CV1, and then oculus home. From there I could go and play Lucky’s tale, etc, etc. I then started VorpX from the Start vorpX shortcut that was created during my instal. Then I ran steam, and then I started fallout 4. Looking back and forth from the rift to my monitor, nothing changed in the rift. I closed fallout after I started loading the save, as I’m assuming it should have taken over after I started the game. I turned off the windows anti-virus, my anti-virus, and anything else I didn’t need to run those 3 programs. The only programs I had running (in the notification bar at least) were Teamviewer, Everything (Search engine), Realtek audio manager, and Logitech gaming software (for my mouse). You want me to send you my log files or such? Also, Fallout 4 has to run through the Bethesda launcher, would that affect anything? I start fallout, the launcher opens, then I click play. I see the loading screen then the options menu (load save, options, etc, etc)

Thanks!

Infinite
    Participant

Also, I just tried: Shutting down the Oculus home AFTER fallout is started, but the rift just shows blank, and then Oculus home starts again. Then I tried Starting Fallout 4, and then starting vorpX desktop viewer, and I can see my desktop, but as soon as I try to alt tab into Fallout 4…It crashes. Or at least it shows the loading symbol. I’ve only waited about 5 seconds after seeing that symbol. Does it take longer than that for it to load? And for both of those tests, I ONLY had Google chrome, Steam, vorpX, and Oculus running. I killed all the others ones.

red
    Participant

After selecting ‘Play’ from the Fallout4 launcher on the monitor (brought up by selecting ‘Play’ from Steam Fallout4 entry) the Rift should change to the white introduction scene (with the Health and Safety warning where you have to gaze at the bottom text or press ‘A’ on the controller).

You load your save from the Rift, not the desktop, as VorpX is pushing everything to the Rift by this point. If you’re loading the save from the desktop then it’s not working.

So, when you say that you click play from the launcher and see the loading screen, is the loading screen on the monitor or the Rift?

Infinite
    Participant

The loading screen (and everything else) is on the desktop. When I play a game, the Oculus rift CV1 does not change anything. So, if I try to play Fallout 4, nothing changes, if I try to play Borderlands 2, nothing changes.

Sorry about this, wish it just worked like most people :( (in NO FAULT of yours or the creators)

Infinite
    Participant

Just did some more testing. If I keep the game in not full-screen mode and then start the game, it works fine. I can watch, and see the game. But, if I turn the game fullscreen, and then start it, it crashes, but, I guess crash isn’t the right word, as it doesn’t crash, more of not work. Also, if I run the game as in the desktop viewer, and alt-tab to the game, it starts to like to track my head, then it breaks. If I alt-tab back and forth real quick it shows a snapshot of the game. But it just sits there loading, and if I alt-tab back the it shows me the desktop.

EDIT: With the snapshot thingy, the field of view is reduced (in the still picture) theFOV if the rift. So its like it starts it, gets it read, and then breaks. Does that help?

Infinite
    Participant

Also, is there any way to get a live chat? Do you use team viewer or anything? Something we could instant chat, I test, respond, repeat? Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no need to run games fullscreen. Running games windowed is the recommend way since the new Oculus software was released as this avoids several glitches that can occur in combination with Oculus Home when running games fullscreen.

Also please do not start games from the vorpX desktop viewer if that causes issues for you. Instead start them from your normal Windows desktop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!