Fallout 4 in VorpX now working almost ideally!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Fallout 4 in VorpX now working almost ideally!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    CrashFu
    Participant

Wow, VorpX support for Fallout 4 sure has come a long way!

In Direct VR Mode (in an Oculus Rift) after using the Game Settings Optimizer, everything is just… so good, it’s coming awfully close to rivaling many made-for-VR games.

The graphics quality is surprisingly good, the scale looks great (albeit maybe a little too zoomed in? Any way to fix that? The FoV is set at 110 so i’m not sure what the issue is) head tracking is very smooth and aiming weapons via headlook is the second-best thing to motion control support I can think of.

Initially had an issue where interacting with Terminals in Direct VR mode would cause me to slide backwards five feet or so and lower my view to floor-level (???) while sitting in a chair would cause me to float right into the ground, before teleporting back to the current map’s “starting point” (a failsafe of the game itself, I assume?) HOWEVER that problem went away after using the Game Settings Optimizer, and trying to interact with a terminal from third-person view instead of first-person. Not sure which of the two fixed the issue, but everything seems fine now.

Hand/Weapon scale in first-person is still unfortunately an issue though, and I’ve tried using the console command “fov 120” followed by “refreshini” but it doesn’t seem to do anything, at least not in Direct VR Mode..

Adjusting the “First person FoV” setting in the VorpX menu comes pretty close to fixing the problem, IIRC it caps at a setting of +30? At that point the hand/weapon scale is STILL too large, but significantly better than at a setting of ~0. I feel like if that setting could go up to +50 or +60 we might reach a natural scale..

Of course the caveat is that the Pip Boy is ‘virtually unreadable’ anywhere above a setting of ‘0’, and imo looks best around -3 to -6. Is it at all possible that future VorpX patches could allow for the first person FoV scale to toggle between two numbers, dynamically, based on whether the pip boy is being activated or not? Alternatively does anyone know of a mod that shrinks down the scale of hands and weapons but does not affect the pip-boy at all?

Also experienced the occasional hard CTD, once when trying to activate Direct VR mode, and the last time when making the area transition from Vault 111 to the surface.. but honestly it wouldn’t feel like a Bethesda game without the occasional CTD, right? Hopefully the next time I load the game up I’ll be able to progress past there without further issues.

If anyone knows ways to enhance the experience further, feel free to suggest them. And Ralf, you keep up the good work! After getting used to VR, I’m not sure I could play games like this without VorpX!

CrashFu
    Participant

Hmmm okay after loading the game up again I made it to the surface, but for a while I was getting a CTD every time I tried to open the Pip Boy interface at all..

Some combination of clearing the direct vr cache and re-running the optimizer and generally fiddling with the settings eventually got that problem to go away, and it was clear sailing for a while.

Did notice that Scopes on weapons seem pretty much pointless in Direct VR Mode? Aiming with them just removes the weapon model from the first-person view and puts a crosshair over the screen without actually zooming in… presumably because the game uses FoV adjustments to zoom weapons, and the Direct VR Mode tries to keep the FoV locked into a specific FoV and won’t allow it to be adjusted? Is there any way around this, or will it have to be fixed in a future patch somehow?

Also, uh… tried hacking a terminal, and it locked my view distance too far away to read the screen. Any way around that?

The lockpicking minigame was even more broken. Initiating it just blurred out my vision while the minigame’s interface failed to come up. After a couple tries, the game froze up entirely when trying to exit the minigame interface, then did a CTD as well. Fortunately I -think- I had a recent autosave. Hmm.

Getting through the game without either computer hacking OR lockpicking could be difficult, or at least limit my options. Anyone know of temporary work-arounds to the issue, other than exiting the game, launching without vorpx just long enough to beat these minigames, and then relaunching in vorpx mode once I’m through?

Maybe someone has seen a mod that just replaces the minigame altogether with a simple percent chance of success?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Lockpicking should work with a 16:9 or 16:10 resolution. That’s a limitation of the game that messes up the lock picking screen at other apect ratios. For the hacking minigame try to temporarily disable Direct VR (ALT+B) before entering the minigame, alternatively you can disble positional Drect VR completely, with Geometry 3D you will still get the normal pos tracking. Weapon FOV: It’s dialed in that way because the value also affects the Pipboy.

BTW: Next vorpX update will have 100% perfect G3D shadows for Fallout 4.

psyx
    Participant

I hate to sound impatient but do you know when the next update will be? I know in another thread Ralf you mention on fixing GTA5 G3D and I’m dying to play that again. I only played it for a couple of hours when it was working and I was blown away by it and that’s all I want to play now it was amazing.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No date has been set yet. The last update was released just three days ago.

The GTA V issues occurs randomly. If you had it working once, it will work again if you restart the game eventually. Just make sure that G3D is actually enabled when you start the game. It should happen rarely if that is the case. I have no idea yet what might cause this random issue, *if possible* it will be fixed.

psyx
    Participant

No date has been set yet. The last update was released just three days ago. Thanks for your patience.

The GTA V issues occurs randomly. If you had it working once, it will work again if you restart the game eventually. Just make sure that G3D is actually enabled when you start the game. It should happen rarely if that is the case. I have no idea yet what might cause this random issue, *if possible* it will be fixed.

Thanks for your quick response Ralf I did try restarting it multiple times and had no luck. It’s weird Saturday there was a Vorpx update and then it worked twice then after that it just stopped working. Do you think it’s some kind of memory leak or something?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I really can’t give you any other answer than the one given above and three times in the according thread, which appartently you read already. At this point the answer stays the same no matter how often you ask:

1. The GTA V G3D issue occurs randomly.
    2. It should happen only rarely normally if you make sure that G3D is already enabled when you start GTA V.

I will let you know *if* something changes in that regard.

CrashFu
    Participant

Thank you for the tips on my minigame issues, Ralf! I appreciate the quick response.

What do you think about possible solutions to the hand/weapon scale pip-boy scale issue? Would it be technically feasible for VorpX to detect when the PipBoy interface is opening and toggle to one First-person FoV Scale value, then toggle back to a separate value when the Pip-Boy is closed? (and for those two values to be set independently in the vorpx settings menu?)

Also, would it be possible to increase the maximum of that value?

And how about the weapon-scope zoom issue? Would it be possible for VorpX Direct VR Mode to temporarily revert control of FoV back to the game itself in circumstances like that, or is there no forseeable way for the program to judge when it should override the game’s control and when it shouldn’t?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry that I can’t answer each of your questions in depth. vorpX does not have control over detailed aspects of a game like for example modders (or the game developers have), so there are certain limitations to what is possible.

AndyW
    Participant

This mod might help, though from the description it could take some tweaking. I had a look, but I couldn’t find a proper Enhanced Camera or Immersive First Person equivalent for Fallout 4 :(

CrashFu
    Participant

Just a quick update: Playing in one of the suggested aspect ratios did in fact fix the lockpicking minigame as Ralf suggested… however it prevented the FoV scan in Direct VR Mode from working, and possibly related I ended up with a weird pip-boy glitch (screen magnified to the point a single word filled my entire vision. Also upside down) that only went away after I did a ‘fov 110’ and ‘refreshini’ console commands… which caused the lockpicking to stop working again.

On the bright side, turning off positional tracking as Ralf suggested fixed the terminal hacking mini-games, as well as the small issue of flying through walls or floors when getting in or out of chairs. Since I was playing the game seated anyways, nothing was really lost by turning off positional tracking.

Anonymous
    Inactive

VR with 3D geometry and headtracking is great. But since the release of Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Playstation VR it can do better.

Positional tracking “knows” where you are currently positioned in the room. It’s the thing that distinguishs computer generated 3D graphics from filmed 3D graphics. You can easy see the difference if you try to get close to whatever you see just by moving your head. Graphics with 3D geometry and 360 headtracking only, will always stay at the same distance when you move your head, while “real” VR with positional tracking will let you approach and even go around it … That’s a huge advantage over VR as it was 20 years ago. It is the thing that makes your brain belief, your there more than anything of this kind before.

Does this works in fallout 4 like in description above?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!