Fallout New Vegas Pipboy

Homepage Forums Technical Support Fallout New Vegas Pipboy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Cheekyfella
    Participant

I have discovered a problem with Vorpx and Fallout New Vegas.

When I view the pipboy, its screen information goes into a small box in the top left corner instead of being centred. My arm and pipboy is shown correctly however.

I have loaded the same save without Vorpx running and everything is fine.

Don’t know whether its because I am supersampling (3840×2160), but it almost seems that the texture used for the pipboy screen hasn’t increased and is still being displayed at 512×512, whereas the pipboy has gone to the correct resolution.

Does anybody know how to fix this issue.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The PipBoy has some issues in NV since it uses the same shaders as the HUD. Hence vorpX considers it a HUD element and scales it down. You can either disable HUD scaling, or – the better solution – use EdgdePeek mode when you want to use the Pipboy, which is more convenient anyway. It may still be misplaced then, can’t remember currently, but in EdgePeek mode it’s never scaled down regardless of the HUD scaling setting.

Can’t say whether supersampling may have an additional effect on that. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Cheekyfella
    Participant

Hi Ralf

Yes, I have had to use the edge peek mode to see the screen, but even in then it still displays it as a small box in the top left corner.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Could you check whether the same thing happens without your supersampling resolution? Not impossible that it’s related to that.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

I also had this issue last time i tried New Vegas right after the update. I wasn’t supersampling then and was running the game in 1920×1440

Cheekyfella
    Participant

Okay, I have just set the resolution to 1920×1080 and when I select the pipboy the screen still goes to the top left but is much larger. It looks as though the box is a set size in pixels and is not being scaled up to match the resolution.

geekrobot
    Participant

I’ve seen a few posts about this issue and would love to figure out a solution. FNV is one of the best candidates for VORPX play right now, and as far as I can tell, the only blocker is this Pip Boy issue.

When I use edgepeek on this or some other similar UIs [like the character creation pane at the beginning of the game], the UI is boxed to the top left, as the OP noted. However, the cursor and the UI hotspots are somewhere in their original location, so using the menu becomes impossible.

Any thoughts on how to fix it? IIRC, even turning the HUD scaling off didn’t work.

Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Fixed for the next vorpX version. EdgePeek will still be required for the Pipboy to be usable with the mouse, but that’s a lot more comfortable anyway.

geekrobot
    Participant

Thanks, Ralf!

RJK_
    Participant

Hello there, dont know if this is a bug, but when using vorpX camera height setting, pipboy s frame moves all the way to the top of the screen while pipboy s screen remains centered.

Furtheron i would like to make a suggestion in main for a game where the HUD can be adjusted by vorpX, how about a feature like a HUD/ON-OFF Hotkey ? I can imagine this could gain some confort for taking screenshots or when discovering the land for hours like in Fallout NV.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Changing the camera height may have unwanted side effects. IIRC there is a warning shown in the menu whenever it is set to anything else than 0. I’ll check whether that is the case and add one in case it is missing.

dellrifter22
    Participant

On the note of camera height, I’ve wondered recently playing a lot of shooters in G3D, if a side to side camera adjust could be beneficial as well – for more natural ironsights.

Other than performance cost, the awkward cross-eyed sights are the only thing that bother me about G3D. If there were a way to snap the actual center to a preferred eye by toggle, or manually adjust the camera sideways same as height, perhaps this could be alleviated.

I realize this might include the same danger of artifacts as changing height, might not even line up at perfect angles even. Could still be a useful option to mess with.

It’s neat how in some games with positional tracking like ArmA, you can physically lean to one side to use the sights more naturally, but most games the gun is glued to your face, so you can’t.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can handle aiming down sights glitches by temporarily disabling 3D via a hotkey, the default is ALT-X. Can also be automated for aiming down sights by using a game’s ADS key instead of the default.

Hint: this shortcut works as a short key press to toggle 3D on/off and also as press->hold->release.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Yep I’ve been using this trick, thank you. But ArmA showed me that it looks cooler in 3D :)

Just wondered is all, if nothing difficult.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’d rather avoid adding more options that can cause both good and evil at the same time. Similar to the camera height setting this would be good for one thing but may cause other issues depending on the game, thus making it easy for users to break a game completely by trying to solve an issue that already has a working solution.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!