Farcry 4 + Vorpx 0.7.5 woes

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Farcry 4 + Vorpx 0.7.5 woes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    adamwalker13
    Participant

Has anyone had any luck getting farcry 4 up and running? I see the sbs oculus view for about 2 seconds (with working headtracking) but then an immediate crash. Looked in windows event logs and nothing hugely useful there (just 0xc0000005 fault in farcry4.exe). I’ve just clean reinstalled the game, Oculus 0.4.4 and Vorpx 0.7.5 which made no difference. Any tricks to getting this working? Would really like to give it a go.

moarveer
    Participant

Try to turn the uplay layout settings off, turn online play off, use the optimized vorpx profile to see if that helps

adamwalker13
    Participant

Forgot to add the list of things I’ve tried. Offline and overlays for uplay are amongst them :( . The things I’ve tried so far :
    •Disabling UPlay overlays
    •Uplay offline mode
    •Vorpx as Admin
    •Direct and extended mode (direct crashes at splash, extended allow the game to start but crashes when loading, way before the main menu)
    •Applying the vorpx optimisations for fc4
    •Removing optimisations
    •OVR service running and disabled
    •AMD Catalyst drivers, both beta and stable

I’m on windows 8.1 x64 with latest updates running an AMD 290X with latest drivers. Rift is connected via DVI and the adapter, screen via hdmi. Other games run fine both with and without vorpx

Szabby
    Participant

Hi!

I have almost the exact same problem. I have new VorpX 0.7.5, I set the rift to extended, I use VorpX Far Cry 4 settings, apply them, I start the game as administrator, Uplay is offline, overlay is disabled.

The game starts up fine, I see the double images on my monitor with the VorpX logo and VorpX settings, I can start the game, I see the rift has the head tracking, but no matter what I do, I just can not make the game run on my rift, only on my monitor. I also tried to set the rift as primary display, and in VorpX settings I tried using system settings and show on DK2 only as well, but no luck.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Wallace79ITA
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m writing from Italy,
    I have the same problem!!!

I have new VorpX 0.7.5, I set the rift to extended, I use VorpX Far Cry 4 settings, apply them, I start the game as administrator, Uplay is offline, overlay is disabled.
    The game starts up fine, I see the double images on my monitor with the VorpX logo and VorpX settings, I can start the game, I see the rift has the head tracking, but no matter what I do, I just can not make the game run on my rift, only on my monitor. I also tried to set the rift as primary display, and in VorpX settings I tried using system settings and show on DK2 only as well, but no luck.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not opening on Oculus: please make sure that the game runs in 1920×1080 fullscreen mode. If it started in windowed mode, ALT+ENTER or ALT+TAB may also be enough to send it fullscreen to the Rift (provided the monitor configuration is correct).

Crash on start: not reproducible here so far, so just a general hint unfortunately: starting the game windowed and then activate fullscreen mode later like described above (ALT+ENTER or ALT+TAB) may be worth a try. Just a guess, but may help. Would be great if you could report back if that works or not.

adamwalker13
    Participant

Tried windowed and full screen, the x86 and x64 version of the occulus service, admin and none admin vorpx and farcry. I even tried using uplay removed versions of the executables, but nothing has worked :(

As I said, vorpx works great in outlast and skyrim, just zero luck in farcry 4 so far. Going to try a different machine next as this has to be an environmental issue.

Szabby
    Participant

Hi!

I think I found a solution, at least worked for me. The problem was, that for some reason, among special conditions (alt-tabing or maybe else) ingame settings fullscreen mode sometimes turns to borderless, and I didn’t notice that also happened in my game settings.

So, for me the following steps made it OK on DK2:

1. Enter the game first without launching VorpX, and you make sure to have these settings: aspect ratio: auto; refresh rate: 60 Hz; screen: fullscreen (NOT windowed or borderless!).
    2. Save the changes and quit the game to desktop.
    3. Set the rift to extended, and pause the service in configuration utility.
    4. Launch VorpX (make sure VorpX was updated to the latest build).
    5. Launch Far Cry 4 in offline mode.

I hope this helped!

p.s.: The game makes terrible nausea for me in the rift, however I tried to alter several VorpX settings (image zoom, vignette scale, etc). It would be really usefull, if somebody made a little guide about the VorpX options and how the lower or higher alterations of these settings one by one will take an effect in the game

victorrw
    Participant

Easy solution:
    1-Pause Vorpx watcher
    2-Run U(don’t)play launcher (make sure overlay is disabled)
    3-Resume Vorpx watcher then play.

InfiniteHydro
    Participant

Adamwalker13: Did you get it to work?
    I’ve tried everything in this thread but the game crashes as it loads. All I get is the FarCry 4 splash screen on my desktop monitor then it crashes. Nothing ever shows up on the rift.

Wondows 7 / EVGA GTX 970

InfiniteHydro
    Participant

Ok, I got it to work by exiting all Nvidia apps and using Szabby’s methods.
    But there is still a problem. As with virtually every game I’ve played, the dpeth / distance is a real issue. Everything is way too close and makes things very difficult to play.
    Settings Menus are so close to my face I can only read them if I zoom out by hitting delete and enabling the Vorp X menu. On screen menu’s are out of the visible range and whenever I enter a room, the walls are so close it’s like the room is tiny.

Does anyone have workarounds for these issues?

adamwalker13
    Participant

Still zero progress. I’ve clean reinstalled my AMD drivers, and even tried the new omega driver to no success. I’ve tried all the methods here and still nothing. I see the sbs vorpex view for a split second, which then switches back to standard view when the progress bar comes up followed by an immediate crash with no explanation.

adamwalker13
    Participant

My card is an AMD 290X running latest drivers if that’s any help…

Szabby
    Participant

Hi!

Is your DK2 set to primary or secondary screen in desktop/VGA setings?

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ InfiniteHydro : Did you check the Essential Game Hints in the vorpX help? One of two things that you need to do once per game is dealing with FOV (field of view). For Far Cry 4 this is pretty easy, as you can do the necessary adjustment with a single click using the Game Settings Optimizer in the vorpX config app. Doing this also modifies the HUD in this game.

Just in case: Be aware that this may not work with “unofficial” Far Cry 4 versions as Ubisoft apparently removed the FOV option for non-paying users as a little reminder.

For looking at HUD elements in corners vorpX has the EdgePeek function (middle mouse button). I would highly recommend to take a look at the Quick Reference. This and other useful functions are explained there in greater detail.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!