[Feature Request] More screen size/distance options

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion [Feature Request] More screen size/distance options

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Ovo

You realize the :) behind that remark and my later reply that all suggestions are welcome? Developers are humans too though, and if after adding screen feature over screen feature for several years, there still comes yet another request in that regard, that IS a tiny bit funny.

You probably consider that post of mine unprofessional, but honestly, in my place you would also have found that funny. And I like to keep a bit of a human touch here every now and then, ‘unprofessional’ or not.

Don’t take every single word so goddamn serious, especially not if it explitely comes with a :)

ChronicHedgehog
    Participant

I would welcome a vertical option, but it wouldn’t be as good as it sounds. You aren’t actually rotating the HMD screen in real space so resolution gets reduced significantly. Also, vertical FOV isn’t as good. If you compensate for this by zooming in and extending the viewing area above and below the vertical cut off points you’re forced to constantly move your head up and down to take in any important information contained outside the border. I think it could work for some games like vertical shmups.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if I understand this correctly. The aspect ratio depends on the game resolution, so if for example you would run your vertical shooter with a 3:4 resolution, let’s say 768×1024, the screen would also become 3:4.

ChronicHedgehog
    Participant

My mistake. I was unaware. Maybe he is, too.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No need to apologize for anything. You didn’t do anything wrong.

I will finally restrain myself in the future though. No more funny remarks, from now on ‘corporate style’ replies and nothing else. If anyone ever wondered why you typically get answers from official sources that are as empty and shallow as possible, Ovo’s reaction above is why. A bit sad as far as I’m concerned, but probably for the best.

I’ll still reply to everything that I consider important, but don’t expect the fairly direct and prompt conversation style anymore that I liked too pursue here in the past. Sorry, guys.

Smoils
    Participant

Hey I like virtual desktop huge distant screen too, but I also like to be a smart ass

P.S.: please dont make fun of me because of shape of my eyeballs.

P.P.S.S.P.P.: Ralf you dont need to make every persons custom dream come true due to limited dev resource, but looking at what is good and popular in other similar apps is not a bad idea.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Smoils:

You have the honor to get the last non-corporate-style reply for the time being: by now the vorpX screen is so heavily customizable that honestly I would be quite surprised if there was any other with more customization options – except blowing it up to 30m. Like said above, I’ll keep that in mind though.

Would be great if stuff like this wouldn’t always become lengthy discussions. I hear you, I read you, and of course I will continue to hear you just as I always did, but at the same time I will reply to threads like this way less often in the future.

ChronicHedgehog
    Participant

I wasn’t apologizing, lol. I didn’t know there was already a vertical option!

Ovo’s comment was unfairly pointed and provocative, but comes from a place of frustration. The greater point, I think, in the same way that some people sit up front at the theater, while others prefer the back, or somewhere in between, is that’s it’s normal for these sorts of preferences to carry over into virtual space, and carefully considered options can be a net positive for everyone.

On the developer end I’m sure it seems like (and often is) a never ending barrage of feature creep, many of which don’t make sense. Obviously, there needs to be curation for a variety of reasons. Retroarch did a good job solving this dilemma by hiding advanced features from more casual users after MUCH push back from the developers. Thank you for your time and hard work!

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is handled by vorpX via the ‘More…’ buttons in several places that keep the most important options visible all time while still providing a huge amount of options for advanced customization.

My main issue here is not really related to vorpX, but to how feature request threads like this unfortunately end up way too often. You can’t know that and none of it is your fault, but there simply were too many occasions in the past were giving straight and direct answers just caused problems. In this case because someone was offended by a funny remark, in other cases because someone didn’t get the answer they wanted to hear.

That will change from now on, but don’t feel disheartened to suggest everything that comes to mind. I look forward to more suggestions of any kind, there just will be a little less prompt and direct feedback in the future, which probably is better for everyone.

ChronicHedgehog
    Participant

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know if it’s possible to for VorpX to “see” Virtual Desktop as a standard SBS 3DTV or whatever, so VD can handle the resizing, distance, etc, the same way it works with Tridef and ReShade?

someskunkfunk
    Participant

Yes, it technically works setting vorpx to generic 3d display and using VD in SBS mode but at about 1/4 the FPS vs just vorpx from what I’ve tested. I’d love to be able to achieve the scale of full vr mode but with the decoupled mouse vs head movement of immersive screen mode. Going to -1 in screen distance gets close but not quite there. Even extending it to go to -1.5 might be enough to do the trick if that is simpler. I’m not sure if when there are no other visual cues when viewing a 3d stereo projection it matters if the screen is bigger or closer in the virtual space. Wouldn’t you be converging your eyes based on the separation distance of the object you are focused on no matter where the plane of the screen is like looking through a window at something? Anyway, love the immersive screen mode, just wish we could get the game world scale of full vr mode there too. Thanks.

Ovo
    Participant

Ralf, I’m sorry you took my message so wrong, there wasn’t any intent of provocation, re-reading it I don’t really see why it was taken that way, but text can often be misinterpreted, especially when coming from non-native speakers like me. I was just trying to provide advice on how to mentally approach the situation in a way that would benefit you and us both based on your expressed sentiment. It was purely positive in my mind.

Ralf
    Keymaster

All good then, I guess. Still better for me to be a bit quieter from now in feature request posts. And certainly no more (apparently easy to misunderstand) funny remarks.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!