Feature request:zoom level 1.10 or more

Homepage Forums Technical Support Feature request:zoom level 1.10 or more

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

Hello Ralf,

Could we have the ability to increase the zoom level higher to 1.10 or even more depending on what you think it needs, it stops at 1.00 currently, this is for 8:9 aspect ratios which as you said is a bit too narow, we need to zoom in a little due to the sides being pillarboxed a little bit, this will crop the top/bottom a little bit but this what should be done at this aspect ratio, i think everyone would pick 5:4 over 8:9 until you can zoom in to 1.10 or there abouts. 8:9 with a zoom more than 1.00 should be the ultiamte goal for all games i think.

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t want to do that for two reasons:

1. The image quality degradation that comes with that, which would counteract the most important aspect of custom resolutions.

2. The cropping you mention.

It’s better to use the recommended 5:4/4:3 resolutions instead, which also have advantages in regard to async timewarp.

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

well for reason 2 you crop the sides of 5:4 more than you crop the top/bottom of 8:9.

well its only a very small amount,the pillarboxing of 8:9 that you see with zoom level 1.0 is very slight.

I hope you maybe reconsider, because this would be the ultiamte solution if it can be done, 8:9 with 2% crop top/bottom, better than 5:4 with 15% crop sides, numbers are a guess.

maybe it can be a hidden option somewhere, but its your software so your choice, but if i can’t zoom in then ill only ever do 5:4 which is a shame as its a waste of resolution and in almost all cases the HUD is better in 8:9 than 5:4 as its narrower, better to crop the top/bottom than the sides given the hud is always at the sides!

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you create cutom resolutions anyway, why not create one that exactly fits the headset instead of a 8:9 res (which was an exact fit for DK2)?

For CV1/Vive that would be 1080×1200 or 1286×1440 for example. This way you can easily reach your goal without the need for any image zoom.

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

yes that would be perfect, i just assumed maybe windows didn’t allow that given that you suggested in the main thread to try only 8:9 or 5:4 etc.

maybe the main thread should be updated to include 1286×1440 and to not mention the old 8:9 resolutions, 1286×1440 would be the ideal resolution we should all be aiming for so i think it should be advertised more.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The original text was for DK2 which has a 16:9 screen (hence 8:9). It is still used by many. If you are after a perfect match, you of course have to choose a resolution that matches your headset’s screen aspect ratio.

5:4/4:3 aspect ratios are still better BTW. At least the Rift CV1 has a feature called partial overlap, which introduces some left/right asymmetry. 5:4/4:3 provides some extra pixels for that as well as for vorpX’s async timewarp.

Hence 5:4/4:3 are the recommended aspect ratios now. All things considered they not only are easier to handle, but also work best.

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

when i set games to 1286×1440 i still see some pillarboxing, maybe it should be 1288×1440, this is just a suggestion.

i do see that the vorpx menu text is significantly better in 8:9 than it is in 5:4/4:3, just shought i’d let you know.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can use any resolution that works best for you.

5:4/4:3 are recommended for the reasons outlined above and because for most users they are easier to handle. If for you other things are more important, there is nothing wrong with using whatever meets your requirements.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!