Fire in Oblivion

Homepage Forums Technical Support Fire in Oblivion

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    random_string
    Participant

Hi,

the fire in the game appears to be shifted incorrectly between each eye. When I set my main eye to the left in Vorpx, the fire appears correctly for that eye, but is in the wrong position for the other eye. The issue affects all torches, candles, lanterns, but also spell effects it seems (can’t confirm all spell effects as I’m not very far in the game).

I did try changing bDoImageSpaceEffects in Oblivion.ini from 1 to 0. This had an effect on the depth of the fire, but it was in completely different depth.

I’ve tried adjusting various Vorpx settings, but nothing seems to help. I don’t have any mods installed, and everything is up to date. I tried validating files in Steam, reinstalling DirectX redist, various other Oblivion.ini settings and settings in Nvidia Control panel, …

Another user on the Vorpx forums had a similar issue caused by anti-aliasing, but I’ve already turned that off. Also tried disabling HDR and basically anything I could find.

I also tried all available compatibility options, running as admin, high dpi scaling settings, changing resolutions, windowed vs fullscreen.

Running on Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, RTX 2070 Super, Vive Pro.

Please advise, I’m loosing my mind.

CyberJ
    Participant

I could be wrong (someone please do step in and correct me if so), but this sound like the typical behavior in some games when the Vorpx FOV is increased.
    In order to work around this, in most cases if you alter the FOV in some other way then this doesn’t happen (happens a lot with shadows, lighting, water etc..).

I just checked the PCGW page and you can indeed alter the FOV in Oblivion with another method (leaving Vorpx FOV at 0);
    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion#Field_of_view_.28FOV.29

If of course you didn’t use Vorpx to increase the FOV, then please just ignore me.
    I don’t have this game but I figured I would say it anyways, just in case :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

In this case it has nothing to do with that. I’m sure torches and other fire effects worked at some point, was one was the cases where most of the game gets rendered with the DX9 shader pipeline while effects like fire get rendered using the older DX9 fixed function pipeline.

I must have made a change at some point to how fixed function get treated that causes the glitch. Can’t promises anything though, I vaguely believe to remember I had to choose between either a scalable HUD or correct fire. But I’m not sure currently, that was years ago. Will check it next week.

CyberJ
    Participant

Ah, in that case my apologies ;)

random_string
    Participant

I will be very grateful, thank you in advance

Ralf
    Keymaster

For better or worse my memory served me right: it was either scalable HUD or correct fire. I considered the HUD more important.

It’s an interesting little riddle though, so I’ll invest an hour or two later today to see whether maybe this time I have an idea to make both work, but don’t hold your breath for it. If I can make it happen, I’ll let you know here tomorrow. If you don’t hear anything tomorrow, it didn’t work out this time either (which frankly is the more likely outcome).

Ralf
    Keymaster

Surprise, surprise. Found a way to have a scalable HUD and fire at correct depth at the same time. Didn’t really expect that, but sometimes it pays off to revisit things after a long time. Thanks for bringing this up!

One little caveat: I don’t believe the fix could have broken anything, but since it’s largely untested, I can’t entirely rule that out either.

Required a code change, you will have to switch to the 23.1.0 beta to get the fix. I uploaded a new build that you can download here: click.

random_string
    Participant

Wow, thank you so much! Can’t wait to try it out. Downloaded the beta and will let you know in case something broke.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!