Fisheye/Image Warping

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Fisheye/Image Warping

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    sucaj
    Participant

I recently purchased VorpX, having used both Tridef, Vireio, and native Rift games extensively.

Vorpx would be my hands-down favorite driver if it wasn’t rendered entirely unusable due to it’s bizarre lens correction that grossly distorts the image at the edges. I’ve spent a great deal of time trying to solve it – I’ve tried all of the aspect ratio correction settings, (Letterbox1 seems to be the least offensive, although the screen size is too small and the effect is still somewhat present), FOV settings, and zoom levels. I’m even more confident that this is a universal issue since all VorpX videos that I’ve watched on YouTube have the same problems. Frankly, I’m not sure how anyone uses VorpX in it’s current state… the distortion is extremely sickness-inducing and breaks the stereoscopic illusion on close objects. Neither Vireio or Tridef suffer from such issues. Does anyone have a solution, or at least word that this will be fixed in future versions?

sucaj
    Participant

And just to elaborate on my troubleshooting process, I did notice this thread and others like it:

Moved: Reply To: How to Get the Most Out of vorpX?

As suggested, I tried 5:4 and 4:3 resolutions such as 1280×1024 and 1600×1200 using all of the various aspect ratio correction methods. The effect was alleviated, but it’s absolutely still there.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX only introduces additional top/bottom distortion in two scenarios:

1. When using the default ‘Smart’-AR-Mode
    2. When using 2D-FOV correction

In all other scenarios the standard Rift SDK warping shader is applied.

The only *possible* reason that comes to mind regarding any asymmetrical distortion apart from the above mentioned cases is maybe a display resolution that isn’t displayed fullscreen on your Rift. If you happen to use other resolutions than the Rifts native 1280×800, sticking to 1280×800 might be worth a try.

BTW: You can counteract black bars in letterbox mode by raising the Vignette Scale value. If you set it high enough, you shouldn’t see any black bars at all, even when using letterbox.

sucaj
    Participant

Hi Ralf – Right, I’ve read a similar response from you before, but there is clearly some other factor involved as distortion is present in all configurations and scenarios, not just those two specified. When using Smart AR and/or 2D FOV correction , the distortion effect is clearly exaggerated, but they are definitely not the causing factor. Using any of the AR modes, at all resolutions, at any zoom or FOV level, results in clearly visible “fisheye” distortion on all edges, not just the top on bottom. Like I said, this distortion is not present in any other driver or rift game. Other posts around the internet indicate that I am not alone.

Also, I’m using Vignette scaling at it’s max of 1.30 and can still very clearly see all edges on Letterbox1 mode. I’m using the A lenses with the screen as tight in as it goes.

CylonSurfer
    Participant

Op, I have the same issue, Tridef and Virieo work fine. I’ve mentioned it a couple of times but pretty much got the same reply as above.

The issue makes me want to vomit also, I cannot use the driver in its current state which is a shame. I wish there had been a trial.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yeah, with A cups extremely close to your eyes you might see a slight hint of a black bar ijn letterbox mode even with a vignette scale of 1.3.

Provided nothing extremely weird goes on your system, the above scenarios are the only ones that cause asymmetrical distortion. The shader definitely only applies additional distortion with the above mentioned options. Not sure what to recommend otherwise unfortunately.

I will take a look at the matter though, maybe there is some arcane bug that activates the non-linear scaling when it is not supposed to be activated under certain circumstances.

sucaj
    Participant

Like I said, the issue is present on every single VorpX video on YouTube as well, so it’s not just my system. It’s also worth mentioning that the aspect ratio of every game I’ve tried seems stretched vertically using VorpX (other than the letterbox 1 AR mode). There is something strange going on with VorpX vs every other Rift solution, which is quite frustrating since VorpX is the most expensive and doesn’t have a trial. It’s pretty disappointing to hear that not only is there not a fix in the works, but that you either can’t reproduce or somehow don’t notice it.

Letterbox1 is the only AR mode that has what appears to be a correct aspect ratio and the least amount of distortion, but it still doesn’t take up the full FOV at current max zoom levels. Would you at least be able to make next version of VorpX allow us to zoom in further?

CylonSurfer
    Participant

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Letterbox mode 1 is certainly the best mode but the issue remains and is glaringly obvious, I don’t understand how it’s not noticable. As you state, all the videos I see have excactly the same problem also I doubt its our systems either.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@Cylon: Most videos are almost certainly done with the default settings, which include the ‘Smart’ AR mode, the asymmetrical distortion in this mode is on purpose.

BTW: What cups are you using and which value for the vignette scaling do you use? Also: Are you near- or far sighted? Maybe there is some kind of pattern.

sucaj
    Participant

I’ve spent so much time staring at my Rift trying to solve this issue that I feel fairly strongly that the AR correction has nothing to do with it… the various AR modes certainly have an effect, but overall, contrary to what you’re saying, “Smart” is one of the modes with the LEAST amount of distortion.

Ralf
    Keymaster

This gets stranger every minute. :) The ‘Smart’ mode distorts the top and the bottom of the image quite heavily, and it’s the only AR-mode that does apply this kind of distortion…

Could you please make some screenshots from the same scene (with FRAPS for example) using the various AR modes and send them to support |at| vorpx com . I’d like to check whether they show anything that can be considered abnormal. I need something I can refer to.

CylonSurfer
    Participant

A Cups, 1280×800 res, cloned display, NVidia 580, 20/20 vision, if I choose letterbox 1 i have to change the vignette scale to 1.30, the highest it will go. Black bars are stil prevalent both top and bottom of the screen as is the warping. All other modes, (SMART, Letterbox 2 etc) have extreme warping issues and stretch or squash the image so I cant use them at all.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@both of you: If you’d be willing to invest a little bit of time, I’d like to run some tests with you either next week or the week after that. Please send me a mail (address above) in case you are interested. Since you are both using an ultra large vignette scale I have a suspicion what *might* be going on, but that needs to be verified by using some test (grid) images that allow you to easily describe the distortion you see.

CylonSurfer
    Participant

Sure I’d be happy to. I’ll try and send you my email tomorrow.

sucaj
    Participant

Mail sent. For the record, vignette scaling has no effect on the distortion either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!