Frequent screen Judder (Fallout NV/ Rift S)

Homepage Forums Technical Support Frequent screen Judder (Fallout NV/ Rift S)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    STREET_BLAZER
    Participant

I’ve experienced some issues with what can only be described as “judder” on fallout new vegas while using 3D geometry mode. Oddly enough, this was never much of an issue on the Rift CV1, but since switching to the Rift S the problem has become quite frequent. It’s largely sporadic in nature causing the screen to rapidly twitch in and out once or twice. I can only assume that it’s some kind of tracking issue made worse by the Rift S’s integrated sensors but it should be noted that I’ve only encountered the issue w/ Vorpx and not with any native games in VR. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to alleviate the issue?

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

One thing I found with FO3 (same engine as FNV) is that you have to install *all* the proper fixes to correct the horrible problems those games had with stuttering in the first place, before you have any chance of getting them to work properly in vorpX/VR. Look for the FO3 Stutter Remover (requires FOSE). You’ll also have to cap your game to less than 60fps OR find some other fix for physics issues (don’t know if such a fix exists for FNV). Running Bethesda engines above 60fps causes all kinds of issues. (Amazingly, they didn’t even fix this with SVR! If you are running above 60fps you’ll still get the “random flying objects” bugs, to the extent that if you enter an area (especially noticeable in taverns) you’ll actually hear stuff in other rooms flying around! There IS a fix for SVR available on the Nexus).

STREET_BLAZER
    Participant

Thank you, however I have already optimized my game to the fullest extent (.ini tweaks, NVSE- NVSR/ NVAC, etc). Upon further testing, I’ve determined that the problem is linked solely to positional VR (when disabled, the juddering stops).

Ralf, can you shed any light on this problem?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not really. vorpX doesn‘t do anything different on Rift S than it does on Rift. On a general note: while I try hard to answer as much I can, you can safely assume that I don‘t have anything more useful to add to a thread if you don‘t see a reply from me.

Noisimus
    Participant

Have you tried turning off Asynchronous Spacewarp with the Oculus debug tool?

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-spacewarp/

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics

Run OculusDebugTool.exe as admin

The setting is under “Service” about halfway down.

Or if it’s already “off” try setting it to Auto.

STREET_BLAZER
    Participant

Unfortunately, disabling Asynchronous Spacewarp via the debug tool had no effect.

I’ve found that the “juddering” becomes most prominent while coming into close proximity with other objects. It seems like Vorpx tries to make repeated adjustments to head tracking, causing everything to flip out.

Here’s a link to a clip I made while using positional tracking in VR which demonstrates the problem. You’ll notice objects flickering in and out throughout the video, especially when in close proximity to an NPC.

Ralf, I understand that you’re not always going to have all the answers, but this issue with the Rift S has made Vorpx (a service I payed for) nearly unusable. I’d be more than happy to reinstall New Vegas to ensure that this isn’t a mod- related problem on my end, however, this is something I would implore you (or your team) to take a closer look at. Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I checked New Vegas after you original post, but could not reproduce your issue here. I’ll try again. If I find anything this time I’ll let you know. As far as vorpX is concerned there is no difference between Rift and Rift S at all. vorpx uses the Oculus runtime in the exact same manner for both headsets, there is not a single line of code that is different for Rift and Rift S.

That said: Please try to disable DirectVR positional tracking on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu. You will still have positional tracking after doing that, just not the DirectVR pos tracking anymore.

Mods: if you have mods installed for a game, please always try without any mods as the very first thing if you encounter issues. Most mods don’t cause an issue, but there are always some that could potentially. Obvious candidates would be for example image enhancing mods that hook into the render pipieline and any camera related mods, but there might be others. So whenever you use mods, removing them should be the very first thing to try in case of issues.

General sidenote: I always do what I can to help and will continue to do so whenever you have a problem, but having paid $40 years ago for some software (plus free updates ever since) does not entitle to personal support for the rest of your life, neither here nor anywhere.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Addendum: Judging from your video your issue looks more like an occasional frame every few seconds being rendered with the original FOV instead of the FOV that gets applied by DirectVR. For New Vegas applying the DirectVR FOV relies on overwriting the FOV memory address as fast and often as possible, which might be hampered e.g. by a camera mod or an AV scanner that monitors memory writes, so disabling your AV scanner’s realtime scanning is worth a shot. If you use anything else than Windows Defender, get rid of it.

You could also set the FOV manually from the game’s console. ‘fov 112’ should be the right command with all vorpX profile settings at default. If you tweaked vorpX settings, the right value might be different. In that case reset the profile to default first to ensure 112 is correct. Just in case.

STREET_BLAZER
    Participant

Addendum: Judging from your video your issue looks more like an occasional frame every few seconds being rendered with the original FOV instead of the FOV that gets applied by DirectVR. For New Vegas applying the DirectVR FOV relies on overwriting the FOV memory address as fast and often as possible, which might be hampered e.g. by a camera mod or an AV scanner that monitors memory writes, so disabling your AV scanner’s realtime scanning is worth a shot. If you use anything else than Windows Defender, get rid of it.

You could also set the FOV manually from the game’s console. ‘fov 112’ should be the right command with all vorpX profile settings at default. If you tweaked vorpX settings, the right value might be different. In that case reset the profile to default first to ensure 112 is correct. Just in case.

It seems that after testing your theory, you were right. The problem is in fact intermittent (regardless of movement or proximity to objects). Unfortunately, applying an FOV of 112 via console commands w/ both the default profile and AV disabled yielded no improvement. I’ll follow up with my results once I have time to disable all my mods and reinstall FNV. Thanks for checking this out Ralf, I really appreciate it.

STREET_BLAZER
    Participant

After doing a clean reinstallation using vanilla settings, I can say that the problem still persists. It’s possible that AVAST anti virus could be causing the problem, seeing as how the only way to truly disable it is by uninstalling it. Regardless, VorpX fails to work as intended.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is’t really anything else to suggest than I suggested above already.

TLDR:

If your issue is related to FOV, you can resolve it by setting the FOV manually via the game’s console.

If your issue is related to positional tracking, you can resolve it by disabling DirectVR positional tracking, vorpX will fall back to default G3D pos tracking when you disable DirectVR pos tracking.

Apart from that:

If you happen to have the Windows system restore functionality enabled, it’s worth a try to reset your system to a state from before the issue started to occur.

Unrelated but important information:

In regard to your AV program you might find this interesting.

STREET_BLAZER
    Participant

I completely uninstalled my AV software and the issue still persisted… I’ve tried everything. I was able to take some screen shots between “flickers” and oddly enough, it seems that the engine is actually trying to reset my position as opposed to FOV; could this possibly differ from what was initially thought to be the problem? Anyways, if you’re able to take a look, here’s a link to some screen shots that show what I’m talking about- the field of view doesn’t change at all; only my position. (A first person camera mod is active during the screenshots to show the effect; the problem persists regardless of whether or not the mod is installed)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Copy and paste from above, sorry. There really isn’t anything else I can add. Depending on whether your issue is related to FOV or positional tracking, you can resolve it with one of the suggestions below.

There is’t really anything else to suggest than I suggested above already.

TLDR:

If your issue is related to FOV, you can resolve it by setting the FOV manually via the game’s console.

If your issue is related to positional tracking, you can resolve it by disabling DirectVR positional tracking, vorpX will fall back to default G3D pos tracking when you disable DirectVR pos tracking.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!