Gamepad unusable with VorpX. Switches to keyboard controls

Homepage Forums Technical Support Gamepad unusable with VorpX. Switches to keyboard controls

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    xrc6
    Participant

I’ve had this issue for quite a while, at least an update or 2 ago. When Vorpx is running, my gamepad switches to keyboard or is recognized as a keyboard in the game, making it unusable. I know in earlier versions, I used to just turn the controller over ride setting to off and it worked fine, now it doesn’t.

I have both an Xbox One and Steam Controller, same issue with each. I tried messing with the gamepad override settings but doesn’t work. I can’t figure out how to get the game or Vorpx (whichever the case) to recognize my controller as a gamepad.

I do not have a Touch Controller. Games this effects seems to be all of them, GTA 5, AC: Origins, etc. Gamepad over ride is set to off but I have tried partial and full without success….how do I prevent vorpx from messing with my gamepad?

nieda113
    Participant

i guess if u once allowed vorpx to modify ur gamefiles it changed the controls.
    Try without vorpx and if it works u know why.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ xrc6: vorpX only changes the way the gamepad is handled while the gamepad override is active. That hasn’t changed recently. With the gamepad override disabled the gamepad is handled by the game itself. Keep in mind though that there always is a reason whenever the override is active per default, usually related to mouse based head tracking.

@ nieda: your guess is wrong. Also again: please stop suggesting things at random that make configuring vorpX more difficult unless you are 100% certain that actually helps in a given context. I know you are just trying to help, but without checking whether your suggestion makes sense this is not helpful in any way. Thanks (again) for your understanding.

xrc6
    Participant

Ok. So if gamepad over ride is off, shouldn’t the gamepad function as normal? It used to a couple of versions back but hasn’t since. I think the version where you first made all the settings automatic, is when I had issues with it, I haven’t used it much till recently hoping it would work itself out.

Do you have any recommendations. On that option screen I tried turning everything off but can’t seem to get my gamepad to function as it should, the game thinks I just have a keyboard.

Ralf
    Keymaster

This still works as it always did. Automated settings have nothing to do with the gamepad override. I’ll check whether there may be circumstances that don’t allow to disable the gamepad override, but TBH I have no idea how that may be possible. Also haven’t heard of anything like this until today.

For now all I can suggest is to do a full factory reset. Maybe that helps for some odd reason.

I’d also like to reiterate that there always is a good reason for the override being enabled per default in a profile. Otherwise it wouldn’t be enabled in the first place.

xrc6
    Participant

Well in AC: Origins, it’s not enabled by default. Changing any of the options does nothing. It’s as if the game can’t even recognize there’s a controller attached. When Vorpx isn’t running, the game controller works fine. I can only assume vorpx is still over riding somehow or maybe is trying to use the Touch Controllers despite that I don’t have any.

In GTA 5, I think it was set automatically to partial but didn’t work when turning it off. I know with GTA 5, one of the options allows me to have the buttons work just as an Xbox gamepad but one or both of the thumbticks didn’t function at all but I do know that over ride off used to work just fine.

So if it’s not vorpx, then I wonder if a driver is causing some kind of issue when vorpx is running? Like maybe xbox driver or steam controller driver?

By full factory reset, if you mean vorpx then I already have done that, it’s also updated at least once since I first had this issue. If you mean Windows itself, then I’ll do whatever you suggest.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unfortunately I can’t give you any other answer at this point than the one I gave you above already.

I’ll check whether there may be circumstances that don’t allow to disable the gamepad override, but TBH I have no idea how that may be possible. Also haven’t heard of anything like this until today.

xrc6
    Participant

Just to update. I did a complete reformat of Windows 10. downloaded all updated drivers, installed Oculus, Steam, Vorpx and left everything at default.

I started AC: Origins and my gamepad still does not function as a gamepad. I double checked the vorpx settings and gamepad over ride is set to off. I don’t have anything else installed.

Issue perisists using both Xbox One gamepad or Steam Controller with xbox setup. The game still thinks I only have kb/mouse. The only difference I notice now is that the left analogue stick rotates the camera but all the other buttons basically act as various kb keys. For example pressing UP directional key brought up the Vorpx mini screen or whatever it’s called.

GTA 5 is effected the same but I did find that Ghost of a tale works fine with the gamepad. So it’s not all games but apparently certain ones or only certain ones are not effected.

As before, shutting down vorpX then the game works fine. So I’m pretty confident now that something in vorpx is the only cause. I just don’t know what is over riding it or what else to try.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try to turn off VR-controllers in the vorpX menu or simply switch them off hardware wise in case you use Vive wands. That should help.

What you see is the intended behaviour. When VR controllers are reported as active and set to keyboard/mouse emulation (which is the default), they override the gamepad setting in the vorpX menu.

If possible without unwanted side effects, I’ll change the way this is handled, otherwise I’ll add an according hint to the vorpX menu that will be shown whenever the above is the case to avoid future confusion.

xrc6
    Participant

I have no VR controllers at all. My Oculus came only with the Xbox one controller. In the VorpX menu, I see Oculus controller in the menu but there’s nothing there. How would I turn this off?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Without Touch controllers the above does not apply to your setup and disabling the override should always work as expected. I’ll look into this again, but for now I’m out of ideas.

For the time being you can either change the vorpX gamepad mapping to your liking in the ingame menu or play with mouse and keyboard.

bjr84
    Participant

I have the same sort of issue. Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout NV. Weird thing tho, every once in a while it works fine… (i.e. controller is default). I tried different sequences leading up to opening the game, but cant replicate. It simply works sometimes and does not others… it only started for me about 3 weeks back. Also when this started to happen, Half-life 2 stopped working properly.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In Fallout 3 and New Vegas vorpX automatically switches between its built in gamepad > mouse/keyboard emulation and the game’s native gamepad handling depending on whether you have run the DirectVR scanner.

Without DirectVR active the native gamepad handling of these games can’t be used since they do not allow mouse input (required by vorpX for head tracking) and gamepad input at the same time. After running the scan vorpX does not need the mouse for head tracking anymore and thus turns off the override.

morgoon
    Participant

Shame that this issue hasn’t been resolved

Ralf
    Keymaster

As explained above some games do not allow mouse/keyboard and gamepad input at the same time. So whenever vorpX emulates a mouse for head tracking in affected games it overrides the gamepad and switches to its built in gamepad to mouse/kb mapper.

There is nothing to solve here, on the contrary vorpX’s gamepad to mouse/kb mapper actually is the solution for head tracking issues in games that do not allow gamepad and mouse/kb input at the same time. If it wouldn’t exist, you would not be able to use your gamepad at all together with mouse based head tracking in affected games.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!