Gamepad unusable with VorpX. Switches to keyboard controls

Homepage Forums Technical Support Gamepad unusable with VorpX. Switches to keyboard controls

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    RadWavingSnutes
    Participant

The issue is that the steam controller works as a direct m/kb input, usually. It can use a gamepad setting but is ideal for games with no controller support for that reason. The problem is that in order to function properly the steam controller must be attached to an .exe and Vorpx creates a different injector each instance.

I’ve tried adding Start Vorpx and Vorpx Control to steam library, but that doesn’t work. Somehow Vorpx changes the .exe of the original program that the controller profile is bound to so settings don’t stay and the Vorpx .exe’s won’t activate the settings, either.

I can’t figure out how to bind a steam controller profile to an .exe running through Vorpx. I don’t know what program to attach the controller profile to.

RadWavingSnutes
    Participant

I found a workaround by making the default desktop config the one I wished to use in-game, since that’s what it seems an .exe affected by Vorpx defaults to.

Zloba
    Participant

It seems like this will be a headache for more games. Metro Redux, LL and Exodus are affected also. I didn’t pay attention to it and just played through the first two games with mouse and keyboard. But now i’m going to play Exodus for my very first time and really want to make XBOX One game pad working. So let me elaborate first …

The game is working with the controller without a problem on flatscreen without VorpX. Once i start it with VorpX attached, the in-game prompts are showing keyboard prompts instead of controller ones. This would be not an issue on it’s own, but sometimes the game refuses to register gamepad inputs.

For example – the very first door in the game which you need to open to progress further .. when i stop ahead of the doors, it shows me to press E on the keyboard. Alternative controller key is X. The game refuses to register the controller input UNTIL i hold left stick in a direction. Then and only then the prompt on the HUD changes to X and i’m able to open the door. You could say, this is a workaround and it should be fine … UNTIL you encounter a QTE just few moments later and the game won’t register your input and you’re killed. This is not an annoyance anymore but it effectively stops the player from progressing through the game.

Ralf, you said that after the DirectVR scanner is done, the gamepad-to-mouse/keyboard should be turned off automatically and it should be OK. I made sure to have the autosettings feature turned ON right from the start. Started a new game and Head Tracking worked out of the box even without the scan. HUD was showing keyboard prompts.

Now i did a scan which was unsuccessfull. So i repeated it a few times without luck. I decided to continue just to learn the head tracking stopped working AND the HUD prompts were showing controller’s buttons.

So i restarted the game and the same happened as before – head tracking is working but the game shows keyboard prompts. So i tried the Scan again and this time it was successful. But the head-tracking stopped working again and the HUD prompts were showing the controller’s buttons.

Restarted the game again just to find out, the controller is not working in the game at all, but when i press DEL to show VorpX menu, it does work inside that menu.

So i restarted it again and i’m back to “normal” (headtracking works with keyboard prompts, until i do a scan after which the HT stops working and the prompts are showing controller buttons).

I also tried turning off HT while it was working. I have the Reverb G2 controllers turned off, tried changing them from Auto to Oculus Touch. But i can’t seem to find a way to keep working HT while having the game showing controller buttons instead of keyboard ones.

Now i’m really out of ideas how to proceed.

theman0864
    Participant

Im having a similar issue. I cannot seem to use steam input settings with Vorpx. I think that after Vorpx hooks to the game that steam stops recognizing the game as an active window. And then reverts steam input to the desktop configuration settings profile. I tried mapping that to controls I want and it came close to working but left stick click would still bring up vorpx controls. I’m wondering if there is a way to manually switch the active steam input profile but I can’t find any way to do it. If anyone knows of anyway to lock a steam input profile to always active and or switch active profiles manually that would be great help. Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX has its own gamepad > kb/mouse mapper built in. You can configure it on the input page of the vorpX menu.

Now you may ask yourself, why the heck does a VR app come with a gamepad mapper? Answer: Many games don’t allow simultaneous mouse and gamepad input. So whenever vorpX needs to emulate a mouse for headtracking in an affected game, the gamepad mapper is used to resolve this conflict. The alternative to that would be no gamepad at all (or no head tracking) in affected games.

grumbel45
    Participant

I am having a similar/related issue here with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. When I start the game, the gamepad will function properly as gamepad and everything is fine, but after 10min or so, the game starts to think I am using a keyboard (icons swap fowards and back between keyboard/gamepad), my aim sensitivity is way off and the VorpX menu keeps popping up when I hit ‘Start’, which it didn’t 10min ago.

As far as I can tell, I have disabled headtracking, gamepad override and everything else that could screw with the gamepad.

I had similar issues with Tomb Raider: Legend earlier, when after some minutes the gamepad controls would completely shuffle around and for no obvious reason.

Now I can understand why mouse/gamepad emulation could screw things up, but I can’t figure out why the game works fine and things only start getting broken after a couple of minutes. Any ideas?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!