Half Life 2 + Cinema mod

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Half Life 2 + Cinema mod

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    slydk1982
    Participant

I just tried this and it works!! Thank you Ralf for this awesome software :)
    I have not played half life 2 in over 10 years and with this mod, its a blast to be back :)

But I also tried (very shortly) Black mesa… Is it normal that you get frame drops in the beginng?? I think i get around 30 fps and its nearly not playable.

And does vorpx works with Half Life source??

Ralf
    Keymaster

The first few minutes after the train ride in Black Mesa are a common test case here. Last time I checked it there were no frame drops, with a decent GPU you should have no problems normally. Might make sense to set the game’s graphics options to default and try with and without antialising.

Never tried Half-Life Source, a clear oversight. Probably not too hard to get it working with full DirectVR support. I’ll look into it.

BTW: Also check HL2 Episode 1. The first hour or so in the Combine fortress is a mix of action and puzzles so perfect for VR that I consider it one of the best VR experiences to have, with or without vorpX. Make sure to play it standing with Touch/Vive wands.

slydk1982
    Participant

I will try that :) I pumped everything to max, so maybe that could be the problem. But I got a 2080 rtx, so i didnt fought there was any problems.

I surely try that out :) My plan was to run trough everything Half Life ;) So i will get to EP 1 at some point :)

slydk1982
    Participant

I have played a bit further in Half Life 2 with the cinema mod. It runs pretty well, but there is a few bugs. And i don´t know if its the mod or simple HL2.
    I get a lot of that zooming in and out at times. I read somewhere its vorpx that tries to prevent a crash. Is that the cinema mod who is screwing things up??

And do you have any idea when DirectVR support could come to HL source? :)

Also, I tested Bioshock 1 & 3 today.. It runs really nice!! Ralf, I don´t have that much time to play all these games with this awesome software :) :)
    Thank you for this!!!!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Make sure that you are running the game with a 4:3 resolution, there should be a message in that regard on start. Pretty much applies to all Source engine games. With a 4:3 resolution the DirectVR FOV should be stable.

I’ll check HL:Source as soon as possible. Currently I’m knee deep in release testing/finishing the next vorpX version, will probably have to wait until after that.

slydk1982
    Participant

Then there is something wrong. I do play it in 4:3, but in window mode. Can that be a problem?? Most games with vorpx runs in window mode.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Shouldn’t matter, but can’t hurt to try fullscreen. Set 1600×1200 or 1920×1440 (if available) as res just to be sure it’s really a 4:3 res and not 5:4 accidentally.

slydk1982
    Participant

I will try that.. But i can´t get the res to high. Vorpx tells me that to prevent that weapons will flicker I should go with 1280*960 (can´t remember if those are the right numbers, but i think you know what i mean)
    But I will try the full screen mode :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

To enable resolutions higher than your monitor can display check the ‘Custom Resolutions’ section in the help or alternatively this post.

slydk1982
    Participant

Thank you :) I will try that. But I just tried full screen and it seems to work a little better. It only seems to do the zooming when i enter a new area, fx when im outside and going in a building. But only for a sec.
    Also, in the mod I can make it so that it preloads alot stuff when loading. I disabled it and that also helped :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try without the mod. IIRC it uses extremely large textures which probably cause hiccups that aren’t there without the mod.

That goes for every moddable game BTW. Before assuming something is wrong with vorpX, please first check whether an issue you encounter also occurs unmodded.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!