Custom Resolutions for the Direct VR Settings Optimizer

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Custom Resolutions for the Direct VR Settings Optimizer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

This is a purely optional step to take full advantage of vorpX’s Direct VR settings optimizer. vorpX will still work fine if you can’t add custom resolutions on your PC.

What are custom resolutions?

Custom resolutions allow games to run at resolutions that are normally not available on your PC. Adding them allows vorpX to choose resolutions that are better for VR than your ‘normal’ monitor resolution(s).

Hint: If a game profile supports DirectVR auto resolution, you can choose your preferred quality on the DirectVR page of the vorpX ingame menu. vorpX will then figure out the best resolution depending on various factors.

Resolutions to add

Some of the resolutions below may already be available on your PC. You don’t have to add resolutions that are already there.

Hint: If adding a resolution fails on a monitor with support for high refresh rates, try a lower refresh rate (e.g. 60Hz).

4:3       Narrow       Wide
    1440×1080
    1600×1200
    1708×1280
    1920×1440
    2240×1680
    2560×1920
    2880×2160
    3200×2400
    1024×1080
    1080×1200
    1200×1280
    1368×1440
    1600×1680
    1824×1920
    2048×2160
    2280×2400
    1728×1080
    1920×1200
    2048×1280
    2304×1440
    2688×1680
    3072×1920
    3456×2160
    3840×2400

Add custom resolutions for nVidia GPUs

1. Right-click an empty spot on your desktop and choose ‘NVIDIA Control Panel‘.
    2. Go to ‘Manage 3D Settings‘ and make sure all ‘DSR Factors‘ are unchecked.
    3. Switch to ‘Change resolution‘ and click the ‘Customize‘ button.
    4. Make sure that ‘Enable resolutions not exposed by the display‘ is checked.
    5. Click the ‘Create Custom Resolution‘ button.
    6. Enter the width and height of your custom resolution in the according fields.
    7. Click the ‘Test‘ button.
    8. If the test succeeds, confirm the next dialog with ‘Yes‘.
    9. Repeat steps 5-8 with all resolutions listed above.

Add custom resolutions for AMD GPUs

On AMD GPUs resolutions higher than your monitor allows will not work. If for example you have a 1920×1080 monitor, only add 1440×1080 and 1024×1080.

To get at least some 16:9 resolutions higher than your monitor allows enable Virtual Super Resolution under Settings/Display in the Radeon Software.

1. Right-click on your desktop and choose ‘AMD Radeon Software‘.
    2. Click the cog icon in the top right corner to open the settings section.
    3. Switch to the ‘Display‘ tab.
    4. Click ‘Create New‘ next to ‘Custom Resolution‘ (right half of the window).
    5. Enter the width and height of your custom resolution in the according fields.
    6. Change ‘Timing Standard‘ to ‘CVT‘ or one of the other automatic modes.
    7. Click the red ‘Create‘ button.
    8. Repeat steps 4-7 with all resolutions listed above that are lower than or equal to your monitor resolution in both directions.
    spacecadet102
    Participant

Any resolutions for 5:4 for use in Skyrim?

Ralf
    Keymaster

For Skyrim the custom resolutions set in the graphics driver have no relevance at all for vorpX. It’s one of the games where resolution and aspect ratio are set freely in the best possible way. The resolutions above are for games where that can’t be done.

freelivorno
    Participant

there is a direct vr updated compatibility list? I cant found it

matteo39
    Participant

there is a direct vr updated compatibility list? I cant found it

off topic: are you italian free livorno) ? :)

freelivorno
    Participant

di dove sei matteo🙂
    sto riesumando vorpx sperando vada meglio di quando l ho provato con un maggior implemento di direct vr
    per quello stavo cercando i giochi compatibilie
    ciao

matteo39
    Participant

di dove sei matteo🙂
    sto riesumando vorpx sperando vada meglio di quando l ho provato con un maggior implemento di direct vr
    per quello stavo cercando i giochi compatibilie
    ciao

I’m from Puglia :)

I’m mad for oculus!

iselvisforreal
    Participant

For AMD, you can actually use downsampling to pick resolutions higher than those of your monitor. I previously used those with VorpX. Instructions here:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/downsampling-with-amd-crimson-demonstration.404125/

Muskoka1847
    Participant

I don’t understand what’s being done here. Is this only for people with 4k displays? My computer is connected to a 1080p tv, so the max output for that display is 1920×1080, 60Hz, that’s the max. There’s a lot of resolutions already listed, none of them are over 1080, and there shouldn’t be, the tv is not capable of anything higher.

I’m using a Rift Cv1 for Vr, and it’s also available under “Change Resolution”, listed as “VR-Desktop”, and only has a single resolution available, it’s 3840×2160.

Where are the above changes supposed to be made in “Change Resolution”, my LG tv, or under the Rift listing, VR-Desktop?

I really don’t think I want to be “testing” 2240×1680 on a 1080p tv, do I? That’s my concern, the testing of resolutions that are way outside of what my tv is capable of?

Muskoka1847
    Participant

I think the issue lies with the way the Oculus Core with Dash work now. Prior to Core 2 / Dash, there was only one monitor listed in Nvidia, now there’s 2. I’ll assume this is “messing” with what is being suggested in this post? I don’t mind adding custom resolutions, but it shouldn’t be done to a display that can’t handle them, and it doesn’t state in the original post how to manage that with the new Oculus core, and 2 monitors listed in the Nvidia control panel. I’ll leave things alone until further instructions are given, seeing as we can’t go back to the original Oculus core / home.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The whole point is to add resolutions that your PC/monitor cannot display normally. Simply follow the step by step instructions and the above resolutions will become available despite your PC “only” being connected to a 1920×1080 display.

Custom resolutions have to be added for your actual monitor, not the virtual Oculus monitor. The virtual Oculus monitor is completely irrelevant in this regard. I updated the original post to clarify this, thanks for the heads-up.

Muskoka1847
    Participant

Thank you Ralf for the clarification, will add them right away.

matt90410
    Participant

When adding the resolutions on nVidia, what refresh rate should be selected or does it not matter? (it defaults to 60).

pintman
    Participant

Hi,

Two questions, should us RIFT S users be adding the custom resolution of 1280 x 1440, the Rift S per eye resolution? It’s not on your list.

2nd question, I can only get nvidia control panel to allow me to set 60hz despite my Rift being 80hz. If I try to set 80hz, it completely black screens and I need to reset my PC altogether.

Please advise.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Adding the resolutions listed above is enough. Due to the lens distortion correction done by the headset runtime game resolution does not correlate 1:1 with the display resolution in VR.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!