Half Life 2 update, Breaks VorpX

Homepage Forums Technical Support Half Life 2 update, Breaks VorpX

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jarilo
    Participant

Few hours ago, Valve released ( who the hell knows why ) an update for HL2, Ep1, and Ep2. VorpX NO LONGER WORKS for this game with it. Those wanting to play it have to re-vert back to beta update “public build” in Steam options of HL2.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Looks as if the game now has some SteamVR detection built in. Fails to load even with only SteamVR running but not vorpX.

There is an easy workaround though: closing SteamVR before lauching the game should do the trick. It will auto start when vorpX initialises the headset.

I’ll try to find an automated solution. If that that should prove unfeasible, I’ll add an according start hint to the next vorpX version.

Jarilo
    Participant

Looks as if the game now has some SteamVR detection built in. Fails to load even with only SteamVR running but not vorpX.

There is an easy workaround though: closing SteamVR before lauching the game should do the trick. It will auto start when vorpX initialises the headset.

I’ll try to find an automated solution. If that that should prove unfeasible, I’ll add an according start hint to the next vorpX version.

Thanks Ralf for checking it out. Thanks for the work around and if anyone is really having trouble running it still, “the previous public build” under beta options in Steam also run the old version that works, as long as it’s there at least.

Tum
    Participant

Hey guys, Ive just downloaded to try Half Life 2 with Vorpx, It works fine, but the graphics seem a little fussy. Am using a 2080 ti.
    Is there any settings I need to adjust to remove the fussy graphics ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can run games at higher resolution to enhance the image quality. In case of Half-Life 2 make to set a 4:3 resolution (e.g. 1600×1200, 1920×1440).

You can even add resolutions to your PC that it does not support normally. For detailed information on this matter please check the “Custom Resolutions” section in the vorpX help.

Tum
    Participant

ok thanks, ill try change the resolution.

Tum
    Participant

I tried adding the following two 4:3 resolutions, they both show up on my desktop, but don’t show up in half life 2 resolution options menu.
    Is it because they are to high ?

2560×1920
    2240×1680

I will try the highest 4:3 resolution below 1920×1080 see if that works instead.

Tum
    Participant

I even tried 1920×1440 but after adding that as a resolution in my nvidia settings, I see the option on desktop, but it still doesn’t show up in halflife 2 options section.
    Am I missing something ?

slydog43
    Participant

Those resolutions should show up under the 4×3 resolutions. you have to select 4×3 first, then you should see 1920×1440, etc.

Tum
    Participant

I got the new resolutions working, but I had to switch to full screen from windowed for them to show up.
    The on,y problem I see now is my bullets don’t hit where the crosshair is with the bigger resolutions.
    So for now I’ve reverted back to a standard resolution where the crosshair is where the bullets hit until I can fix this problem.
    Game runs nice though.

slydog43
    Participant

I’m playing half life 2 again in prep for half life alyx. Does everyone else also have a blurry screen especially easy to see on the crosshair, except if I turn on edge peek, then everything is very clear. I’m running 4×3 very high custom resolution, but vorpx still complains sometimes and tells me to run 4×3. Maybe my setup got corrupt somehow. Just wondering as i enjoy this so much, but want it to be the best it can. Thanks

I got Biosshock to run with the high custom resolutions and it looks incredible, very sharp. Its like the convergence is off (might be compleely wrong here)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Are you sure the res you are using is really 4:3? If in doubt, check with a calculator. width/height has to be very close to 1.333333.

Minabe
    Participant

I’m playing half life 2 again in prep for half life alyx. Does everyone else also have a blurry screen especially easy to see on the crosshair, except if I turn on edge peek, then everything is very clear. I’m running 4×3 very high custom resolution, but vorpx still complains sometimes and tells me to run 4×3. Maybe my setup got corrupt somehow. Just wondering as i enjoy this so much, but want it to be the best it can. Thanks

I got Biosshock to run with the high custom resolutions and it looks incredible, very sharp. Its like the convergence is off (might be compleely wrong here)

You had to change to fullscreen bc windowed uses your windows resolution and you’d have to change it to a 4:3 res for it to work like that, which is impossible in many 16:9 screens.

What i do is unplug the tv/monitor (turning it off works) so that only the headset is detected and it’s native resolutions are shown, most being 4:3, and in this way you don’t even have to add them.

slydog43
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice. I got it looking great now, except the game menus font is so small (not vorpx fault as I’m running a very high resolution). I changed my resolution to 3200×2400 full screen and the crosshairs are sharp again!!!! Loving this game again, well worth the price of VorpX for only this game

evertec
    Participant

I tried hl2 and the directvr doesn’t seem to work. The world looks all distorted and positional tracking doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!