How playable is Skyrim SE FO4 on 1080 and 1080 ti?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion How playable is Skyrim SE FO4 on 1080 and 1080 ti?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tiggerdyret
    Participant

I am in the process of scraping together to buy a GPU upgrade from my GTX 980, but I’m unsure if it is worth right now. I mainly want to play Skyrim SE and Fallout 4, but I still want some graphic fidelity. I only want a stable 45 fps, but I don’t think the official recommended resolution is enough, maybe it is with the vorpx 2x sampling. What settings are you guys running these games at? Is SE even playable at this point?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I would highly recommend to use the original Skyrim instead. Not only does it run better in most cases with vorpX and has less visual glitches (e.g. shadows), it also looks crisper. Mainly because it doesn’t use one of these (blurry) modern post fx antialiasing techniques, which never look really good in VR.

Unless you absolutely love those oddly over-saturated colors of the SE there really isn’t much of a reason to use the SE with vorpX.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Ralf is correct. I have both a 980Ti & 1080Ti in 2 separate systems and even throwing brute force of 1080Ti at Skyrim SE doesn’t make much difference in VR. Original Skyrim runs much smoother and should get you consistent 45fps even with what you have…depending on your resolution settings. Be prepared to tweak vorpx though…for your personal preferences.

I would suggest waiting till Skyrim VR & (FOV4 in 2017) gets released on PC in 2018…after PS exclusive times out before doing your upgrade…unless you want to play other games also in VR and take advantage of the brute force. It should run quite well with Bethesda tweaking it for VR.

I pulled the trigger prob too soon on my 1080Ti when it came out. I don’t see much difference between the 980Ti & 1080Ti in VR in native VR games. Maybe a bit better using Vorpx though…but not enough to warrant a rushed upgrade from a 980Ti. From a 980…might be worth it for using Vorpx alone but don’t expect a huge difference. It will enable you to SS to higher levels…which most people want to do…but you will still see the limitations of the present VR technology…no matter what you do.

Cheers!!!

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

I’d consider it a vorpx/4k upgrade and no real upgrade to native vr, which is running fine on my system. I have used Vorpx alot and even made a few guides on how to setup games, so I’m no stranger to tweaking the app. It just doesn’t run and look sharp enough that I want to play it with my 980. What resolution do you run skyrim at? It gets pretty choppy at the suggested resolution, which is lower than the headsetss native res and a bit too blurry for me. I also want to mod the hell out of Skyrim and I prefer controller/normal locomotion to teleporting, so no real point in waiting for that ;)

Karlor
    Participant

I would maybe hold off on the GPU and think about maybe an SSD if you don’t already have one for your SKyrim/Fallout rig. I would think your video card will give you the same performance on those 2 cards compared to an upgrade, just because the limitation of the actual games and how they are made to function. That being said I would start your SKyrim VR roll with OldRim.

Get it set up and running and looking the way you want BEFORE adding a ton of mods. Once you got it looking good as far as resolution, FOV and vorpX tweaking then its time to patch it up. Get all the memory patches boosters installed and calibrated for your system alongside your ENB injector to make them work. Once you got it to that point you can go nuts with mods, but be smart about modding, use the same common sense you would for modding flat screen and you’ll be fine.

You should be able to get what you want now from your system and GPU, just make sure you patch your OldRim. Also I would recommend using a game pad over motion controls at this point simply because of a lack of inputs. If your clever you can get your controller to have all needed inputs plus some that are required from mods. Around 1000 hours deep after 3 years of playing with vorpX and it only gets better so if your a Skyrim freak just dive in and get it set up, you’ll be glad you did.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Tiggerdyret, if I play old Skyrim in VR…I run it at 2560×1440 (even tho Ralf recommends 4:3) with no visual gliches that I can see. Also, I run it at High settings, AA=2, AF=16 in Skyrim menu (no difference in visual quality going to Ultra in VR and loose a bit of FPS if doing so). I have SS set at 1.5 for Rift. With all this I get consistant 45fps with Geometry=on, DirectVR=on. Running 1080Ti slightly boosted but don’t really need to…I just have it set that way as standard for my overall system. I also have about 13 visual mods going in old Skyrim too.

As I am also spoiled with 4k…it’s kind of hard to go back to lesser resolution…even with these settings on the Rift…but only for Skyrim for some reason. The AA in old Skyrim doesn’t really do much other than suck up FPS when set for use in Vorpx. Thus the reason for only setting it at AA=2. No visual difference going to 4 or 8 on my system in VR. I can run old skyrim in VR at 4k resolution but the FPS falls below 45fps to often and not worth it. It does look quite a bit better than 2560×1440 though. The jaggies are nearly not there in 4k but are still there in 2560×1440.

Oh yes, I agree about the SSD. It makes a difference in loading stuff big time…

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Just to add to running old Skyrim in VR at 4k…if I reduce the settings in the Skyrim launcher to medium…I can run old Skyrim in VR at 4k, Geomitry=on, DirectVR=on with nearly consistent 45fps outside. The fps drops to about 38 or so once in a while but is nearly not noticeable visually and mostly stays at 45fps. Plus…since I have a cast iron stomach (been gaming since early 80’s…when it all started) I don’t ever feel the sickness.

So upgrading to a 1080Ti will probably suit your needs Tiggerdyret!!! As long as you have the CPU and SSD to handle the rest.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

I just noticed I accidentally had FXAA=on in the Skyrim loader menu along with AA=2 for medium 4k in VR. Turned FXAA=off…now I get consistent 45fps with the odd 42-44 happening outside. I find FXAA makes things a bit blurry for my liking in medium 4K Skyrim VR on my system.

I may just have to start playing Skyrim in VR now again!!!

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Cool, thanks for the thoughtful responses guys. I do have an SSD both for my windows installation and one for gaming. 16gb Corsair vengeance ram and a 4790k, so there should be no bottleneck. I might install the game again just to check if I can’t get a stable fps with my current gpu, but running Skyrim at those resolutions does sound tempting.

Karlor: I’ve never been able to get ENBinjector or even ENBoost to work with Vorpx.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

One more note on 4k setting in old Skyrim. I have tried turning off geometry and going with z-buffer for the best performance…and can get nearly consistent 90fps outdoors depending on the area (sometimes dips to 60+fps), but the stereo separation looks kind of funny sometimes. I guess if I tweak the separation setting I could get it to look mostly proper. I’ll need to experiment a bit.

The strange stereo separation looks like an object is half in stereo and half not…sort of… Also, characters take on a double image look…like another copy of them is in the same spot but a bit further back in the z-axis. I guess I could get use to it though…just for the performance gain alone.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Okay, so after experimenting with z-buffer in 4k Skyrim VR…I have come to a good setting…at least for myself. I have z-buffer set to adaptive, Stereo – strength=0.25. This is giving a satisfactory level of 3D at the benefit of amazing performance instead of Geometry reducing performance by half…and only a bit of 3D glitches (meaning less funny looking items and double characters, etc.).

I have Skyrim set to a custom level of ‘high’ settings. I have AA=2, AF=16, all distance items backed down a bit from high settings but much higher than medium settings, object detail fade= ticked. This is giving me 88-90fps most of the time with the exception of the odd drop to 57-80+fps outside. I am also running 15 visual mods for better immersion…and will be trying more as I go.

So, if you have a 1080Ti, there is no reason to run Skyrim at lower resolutions. It is incredible to upscale it to 4k in the Skyrim loader screen. Do not use the Vorpx internal res upscale…it just robs fps. I tried it using a lower resolution and it just makes skyrim very jerky.

Cheers!!

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Thanks, but I do think the whole point of upgrading is running it in G3D. I can get decent visuals and stable 45fps on z-buffered with my current setup. But if you are on Vive fps might be a bigger issue. As long as a 1080 ti can keep me over 45fps, I’m golden.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

I’m using a Rift in my setup.

You might find you will need to tweak the distance settings for Skyrim a bit too much to get geometry to run to your liking in 4k. That makes the immersion level drop…especially when you hear an enemy yelling at you that you can’t yet see and then he all of a sudden appears a short distance in front of you in attack mode. You could probably set the distance for enemies up to a more comfortable level and other objects to less but that still brakes immersion…when you consistently see trees, bushes and rocks all of a sudden appearing in front of you as you walk. It’s a balancing act of performance vs visual when you are pushing 4k in VR & G3D…even for a 1080Ti…but that’s prob due to Skyrim optimization or lack of it.

I just find geometry robs too much performance when running in 4k for my liking (have to turn down distance settings in Skyrim loader menu to much). I agree, geometry looks more natural in Skyrim but only marginally. I did forget to mention that I also turn off fluidsync in z-buffer so that my card is not restricted to 45fps. I don’t notice the fps fluctuations above 45fps to 90fps without it on…and that gives me a smoother experience (outside) in game play when running 4k in VR with z-buffer (Skyrim distance settings just under ‘high’). Inside I get consistent 90fps.

Definitely get yourself a 1080Ti though…it gives you more ability to tweak things…and that’s what it’s all about… ;D

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Thanks for responding. I think I’m aiming for native Oculus res in G3D and not 4k. I think it’s 1920×1440. But that’s the thing about Vorpx. Everyone has their own preferences. But as far as I’ve learned from different benchmarks 1080 ti will double me fps in most games on any resolution. That’s a good place to start ;)

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Sorry, I was referring to 4k as SS in Skyrim loader menu (which 1080Ti is fully capable of)…which looks astronomically better than just running native Rift resolution. It literally makes Skyrim look almost like a native VR game running at that res. Incredibly clear. Once you try SS at that level and succeed…you won’t want to go back to just the native res. Just a thought for you to consider if you get a 1080Ti. Give it a try on your system…just to see what it looks like…it will prob be a slide show but will at least show you what to expect.

As for just running at the native oculus res…just crank everything to max and go for it…the card will handle that without even breaking a sweat!!!

Cheers!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!