HTC Vive Pro 2 – Vorpx not working properly

Homepage Forums Technical Support HTC Vive Pro 2 – Vorpx not working properly

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Forux
    Participant

I sent you clean log, also there was not present in the vorpx logs crash during game launch, sent windows logs about the crash.

Also sent two video and here will post link for video how problem looks like so maybe someone else have the same kind of issue:
    https://youtu.be/nSsIHcuugUU

Forux
    Participant

Hi, did you have a chance to check clean log and video?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Like said earlier I get back to you via mail if I find something unusual in the logs. On first sight there wasn’t anything unfortunately, no obvious error message.

I don’t have a Vive Pro 2 unfortunately, and so far you are the only one reporting an issue with it. Whether that is because the headset is uncommon or whether it’s an individual issue related to your setup is impossible to tell at this point. I’ll keep an eye on the matter. If more reports like yours come in, I’ll get a Vive Pro 2 to check it myself directly.

For the time being all I can really recommend is sticking to your WMR headset if that works fine.

Forux
    Participant

Sad to hear that.

RJK_
    Participant

I dont own a Pro2, but i read from the web that the additional software thats required to be installed can be disabled. (Install is a must, but it seems using it may be optional). So if you find a way to disable that HTC stuff and run the headset with SteamVR only, try that and see if it helps.

Forux
    Participant

I dont own a Pro2, but i read from the web that the additional software thats required to be installed can be disabled. (Install is a must, but it seems using it may be optional). So if you find a way to disable that HTC stuff and run the headset with SteamVR only, try that and see if it helps.

Can you please share where do you found that info? Will check

And also I found real problem – when I chage resolution higher then monitor supported with custom resolutions to 3840×2400 the same issue happened if 3d mode fully disabled, so it is because of the higher resolution in geometry mode.

There are any known issues with higher resoltions then monitor supports? (game work on monitor but freezed in VR)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Might be a GPU memory related issue then. With G3D vorpX has to duplicate every render target texture for rendering both eyes. Both vorpX and SteamVR also create additional rendertargets for the headset rendering stage and apparently the Vive Pro has its own compositor which then would add another internal stereo swapchain. At a res that high all of that adds up.

3840×2400 is unreasonably high for G3D in newer (and thus more demanding) games anyway. Try something more modest. I know your headset has a high res and you’d like to utilize that fully, but you won’t get a decent framerate in newer games with G3D anyway when cranking up the res that heigh.

Forux
    Participant

G3D = geometry 3D ? I used 3840×2400 for plane image, not 3D

So my tests shows that there are no problem at 3072×1920 and problem starts from next 3456×2160

Also with 3072×1920 image much sharper, blur effect has gone (myabe it can be even better but vorpx stop working with higher resolution)

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you found that the culprit is setting a resolution above 3456×2160, there isn’t really anything else I can suggest than going for something more reasonable. That should be enough for a crisp and decent looking image in any game anyway. Unfortunately I can’t get a Vive Pro 2 because of a single isolated and largely academic issue report related to setting resolutions that are too high for practical use in most cases anyway. Hope that is somehow understandable.

BTW: 4K resolutions will be too much for good performance in newer games with G3D. Keep in mind that you not only need a good looking image in VR but also a decent framerate.

bjr84
    Participant

Im getting a sense that this is a resolution issue? i changed a game to a lower resolution in -game without the Vive Pro 2, then the game launched at that lower resolution in the vive pro 2. so maybe not accepting the vive pro 2 because of the resolution being too high?

Ben

Forux
    Participant

The main problem is in not working geometry mode, everything else is additional information.

So if you will found the route cause of that problem and fix it – it will be greate.

Ralf
    Keymaster

With G3D vorpX has to duplicate every render target texture for rendering both eyes. Both vorpX and SteamVR also create additional rendertargets for the headset rendering stage and apparently the Vive Pro has its own compositor which then would add another internal stereo swapchain. At a res that high all of that adds up.

3840×2400 is unreasonably high for G3D in newer (and thus more demanding) games anyway. Try something more modest. I know your headset has a high res and you’d like to utilize that fully, but you won’t get a decent framerate in newer games with G3D anyway when cranking up the res that heigh.

Forux
    Participant

I never tried for G3D something more then 2560×1440. It does not working with 2560×1440

bjr84
    Participant

For me, performance isnt an issue (I expect lag running G3D in 4k), but I’m having issues even running the game (i.e. hooking) and I was wondering if it was something to do with the Vive Pro 2, as this issue didn’t occur, even recently, with the Vive Cosmos.

Ben

bjr84
    Participant

So, a development on this…. (and repeatedly-unsurprising?). I updated all VR-related hardware (HMD and Base stations) and uninstalled and reinstalled SteamVR USB drivers, and all is fine now. The game hooks and runs fine.

FYI, running G3d in highest res – yes, its choppy, but z3d was just fine for me for this one open world MMO (FO76!)

Hope this helps.

I guess in short: Vive Pro 2 works great with VorpX. Just exhaust all other options before pointing to VorpX as being a pivotal point in the issue chain. VorpX is quite far downstream of any other troubleshooting that should be considered first. Generally speaking. Problem with that, of course, is that the list can be unclear at first. And if you are impulsive like I am, you might jump first to the place where you get good customer service. Such as Ralf :)

Thanks, as always, Ralf and others here!

Ben

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!