I know you waited for this…

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion I know you waited for this…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

NOT.

But it cost me two days, so I feel like I have to bother someone with it. You’re the unlucky ones. :)

Whenever one wanted to apply 3D depth to a scalable HUD, but didn’t want to actually make it smaller (typical cases would be strategy or RPG games in cinema/immersive screen mode), one had to apply some manual correction to avoid the right edge of the HUD being cut off in the left eye and vice versa. Quite annyoing, especially since that probably had to be re-adjusted when a user changed the 3D-Strength.

Well, not anymore. Now vorpX takes care of that automatically no matter what you do. Sounds probably like a max. two hours fix to you (it did to me), but actually cost me two days due to some not so great design decisions in the past. As an added bonus the vorpX cursor is now guaranteed to have the exact same depth as the 3D HUD, which sometimes could fail before. Rejoice!

Thanks for listening, enjoy the rest of your weekend. Mine starts now too.

dellrifter22
    Participant

lol, thanks Ralf

steph12
    Participant

thank you Ralf :) that is indeed great news :)
    take some rest now man ^^

RJK_
    Participant

Interesting. I guess you still have to assign the HUD shaders as usual before this functions can take effect ?

JESUSTAYS
    Participant

Thanks for your dedication and hardwork.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ RJK: Yes, HUD shaders still have to be defined. This is really just a fairly small improvement that affects cases where you want a full size HUD with depth, which required some extra care before if you wanted to avoid cut off edges. Wouldn‘t have done it if had known beforehand how long it would take. At least I added a few other small HUD/cursor improvements in the process.

One of those occasions where you think ‚Uh, that little thing here could be better if I did it this way‘ and then the ‚little thing‘ turns out to be a severe time sink. Happens from time to time.

RJK_
    Participant

Hmm, i wonder if thats the same as using Focal Offset. I use that quite often without HUD shaders for cinema only games. As a matter of fact most of the time i check if focal offset works first because its more secure (not interfering with other objects later in the game). Besides its the easier (faster) way. (Hope i remember correctly that no shaders need to be defined for the “Focal Offset” trick though)

Ralf
    Keymaster

That does work, but comes with all drawbacks associated with using the focal offset (convergence) setting. Don’t use it unless necessary. For example it might not just affect the HUD, but also any FX that are rendered in 2D. Also you lose tilt safe 3D in cinema/immersive mode. As soon as you use focal offset vorpX behaves like an ordinary 3D driver and you get split images when you tilt your head. Hence the glitch warning when you use the setting. And last but not least in FullVR mode applying convergence is just plain wrong.

Whenever possible use the HUD shader method. It’s far more flexible and comes without these drawbacks.

RJK_
    Participant

Ups, thanks for the hint. Luckily never had any issues so far (crossfingers)..

Eola667
    Participant

Many thanks for your work Ralf, fixes are always welcome.

moarveer
    Participant

Sounds great, thanks for your hard work Ralf.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks! It’s really just a very (very!) minor thing though, probably noone ever noticed. Just felt the need to complain a bit since it took so incredibly long for such a minor fix. :)

RJK_
    Participant

It took me a while to figure out how to use this. Great invention Ralf !

Grocs
    Participant

Thanks Ralf – appreciate the effort.

RJK_
    Participant

I am not shure how to use this function, IIRC i got it working on one game but never again. Can you give us an example how to use it properly ?

1- Make HUD shader active
    2- Give em some depth
    3- Playing with the 2 new options sizes HUD to full screen, but always takes out depth at the same time, no matter what i do.

Does the settings depend on something a may not be aware of ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!