Image seems oversample, cross-eyed

Homepage Forums Technical Support Image seems oversample, cross-eyed

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    daantje64
    Participant

I have tried runtime 0.7 only, because when I tried to install 0.4/0.5/0.6, it only gave errors and couldn’t connect with the rift, due to windows 10. I am indeed aware now of the fact that the oculus rift DK1 isn’t supported anymore in newer versions from 0.7 and on, but the forums of oculus state it should still work without any problems, and with every game or demo I tried for runtime 0.7+ it worked with the oculus rift Dk1. Just not with Vorpx atm, although it has never worked before on my pc, because I bought it like 1 week ago.

Stereoman
    Participant

Well on the oculus DK1 page it says

Minimum requirements for the Oculus Rift Developer Kit 1

Wednesday at 18:19
    Minimum Requirements

A desktop computer running Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10
    2 USB 2.0 ports (at least one powered)
    A dedicated graphics card Nvidia GTX 600 series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series (or better) with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output

Please note: If you are using a desktop computer running Windows 10, you need to be on SDK 0.7 or higher.

I take that as fairly cut & dry that the latest Oculus Runtime Supports both Dk1 and Dk2 and they are trying to maintain backwards compatibility at this point.

As others have pointed out everything else is working fine it’s just Vorpx that has this issue with the DK1.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry if I didn’t say that clear enough: As far as I’m aware they don’t support the DK1 after 0.7 officially anymore, but right now it is still supposed to work. Mostly wanted to express that DK1 support probably won’t be there forever, which shouldn’t surprise anyone as these are development kits and not consumer products.

The actual DK1 vorpX issue will be looked into shortly, I just wanted a bit of feedback regarding different runtime versions before that. The issue is quite strange, as vorpX doesn’t work any different with a DK1 connected than with a DK2, so this has to happen in the runtime somehow.

Hope that clears things up.

daantje64
    Participant

That makes sense Ralf, going to test a couple more things, and I’ll give feedback in this post. Also I’ll try to contact technical support of Oculus, because as you say it might also definitely be an issue with with the new runtime utilities.

cecilbgnome
    Participant

LOL – just realised we are having this exact discussion on reddit.

*Ralf – Windows 10, so I am stuck with .7 or .8 – the older versions (below .7) give me a boot loop and just don’t work with windows 10.

I know some people have had luck with getting it work but not me (this could be because I did not perform an upgrade and did a fresh install).

I rolled it back to .7 still same problems as .8.

with the DK2 – I have not had any problems whatsoever, same hardware in both machines. AMD 15.10 beta drivers on both – the only difference is the RAM.

have swapped both over and tested both but yeah same problem happening on DK1 – just a hea

*Castane – I have had a look at the Netserver.cfg – it looks like this.

{ “LoggingMask”: 256, “RSWakeupMins”: 5, “DebugHMDType”: 3, “DK1LensSeparationOverride”: 0, “LowerReportIntervalWhileIdle”: true, “DK2LensSeparationOverride”: 0, “HASWLastDisplayedTime:default”: 1445138985, “HardwareCollectionLevel”: 65535, “AllowFirmwareMismatch”: false }

I have heard some people setting theirs back to Zero has fixed or alleviated the issue (myself I have not changed it).

castane
    Participant

@ cecilbgnome – Yup, changing it to zero fixes it, but I wanted to use my 69.5mm adjusters. Other apps, this works well, so there must be something wrong on the calculations side of Vorpx?

If I change “DK2LensSeparationOverride” to 0.060, then it looks good, but that can’t be right. Software IPD is set for 72.4mm. Physical IPD with adjusters is 69.5mm. Why would 60mm look good and only in Vorpx?

After changing to 0.060, I can then go back into the config demo and it’s waaay off. I change it back to 0.00695 like it’s supposed to (with the IPD adjusters) and bam. Perfect, but then Vorpx is bad again.

cecilbgnome
    Participant

It’s very weird – almost like its negative IPD (is that even possible?) as left eye is right eye and the right eye is where the left eye should be.

All of the apps/demos etc all work as they should, anything hooking with VorpX is whats doing the problem.

Kind of wishing left at least one machine here on windows 7.

castane
    Participant

Are you able to focus when the images are crossed like that? I almost feel like the issues we’re experiencing are related, but not exactly the same.

With mine, it just feels like it’s just out of focus. Adjusting the IPD down by 9.5mm seems to get it perfect, but either way I can get it to focus. Without the adjustment, my eyes are crossed and strained but it is focus-able.

cecilbgnome
    Participant

Not even close to being able to focus unfortunately – your on a DK2 right?

DK1, It’s definitely flipped right and left eye.

DK2, everything as it should be.

Appreciate all the help guys, Ralf – thanks again, your support is great – once there is an update will let you know if it corrects things as I think it’s there that the issue is happening when it’s hooking in via VorpX as it seems to be only isolated to VorpX.

again keep up the good work, you guys are doing a stellar job.

abowling
    Participant

I too am having the same issue with the DK1. Playing around with Netserver.cfg didn’t make any improvements. I’m running windows 10, so rolling back is a problem for me also.

Love Vorpx! Great work team!

cecilbgnome
    Participant

Hey Abowling,

So far it looks as though we need an update on VorpX to get it working with DK1 – as its swapping left and right eye for some reason.

nanard421
    Participant

I have a DK2 and using vorpx desktop viewer, i have the same problem as screenshots in the post.

My IPD in Oculus config is 73,8mm
    I’m using a physical lens separator to enlarge with my physical IPD (i bought the 69.5mm).
    So i changed the NetServer.cfg
    My normal config is “DK2LensSeparationOverride”: 0.0695
    This works fine.

But with Vorpx, seems like DK2LensSeparationOverride is wrong
    So i tried to set it to 0 => same problem

Then i figured i had a separation too “strong” when i set 0 (default value).
    And what if i can reduce the DK2LensSeparationOverride even more
    I tried -0.0695 => crash

So when you dont use physical lens separtor, seems ok with DK2 users. I will apply the exact distance but in the other way:

Default Phycal Lens separation is 64.0mm
    My Lens enlarger is 69.5mm
    69.5 – 64.0 = 5.5mm
    Now i do 64.0 – 5.5 = 58.5 mm

OK i keep this value and give a try in NetServer.cfg
    “DK2LensSeparationOverride”: 0.0585
    Restart OSVR Service

I Launch Vorpx Desktop Viewer and “Tadaammm”, it works for me.

castane
    Participant

Yes! This is the same issue I’m having (@nanard421). Interesting that you were able to come up with the 5.5mm difference.

Virual
    Participant

@nanard421, In your post you mentioned that you restarted the OSVR server and you got your DK2 to work? Did you get OSVR working with Vorpx? Just curious because I have the HDK for OSVR and I really wanted to be able to use Vorpx on it.

MiniDemonic
    Participant

Sorry if I didn’t say that clear enough: As far as I’m aware they don’t support the DK1 after 0.7 officially anymore

cybereality on the Oculus Dev Forums have confirmed that DK1 is supported on 0.7 and over.

There are a few applications that have problems with DK1 such as ARK, JanusVR and VorpX. But there are plenty other applications that work flawlessly such as Virtual Desktop and many more.

I have even tried making a quick demo in Unreal Engine and that works without any issues. A demo made in Unity does have issues though.

If it was a runtime problem then no application would work on DK1 but that is not true.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!