Image splitting on head movement?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Image splitting on head movement?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mattthefourth
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to VR, just got my Vive a couple weeks ago, so if this is a dumb question I apologize. I tried to search for an answer, but didn’t exactly know how to search it succinctly.

I’m currently playing Skyrim SE with the preliminary settings let out a bit ago. It’s looking great in general, but the image is splitting slightly whenever I turn my head. It’s not a stutter, it just splits at a degree relative to how quickly I’m moving. It’s most pronounced (or at least easiest to gauge) with text, or when the Vorpx menu is up — it’s slight enough that it just looked a little blurry before I realized what exactly was happening. I’m at 45fps, so I don’t think it’s a performance issue (GTX 980, i7-4790k).

Is this fixable, or normal, or what? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is an inherent side effect of asynchronous timewarp that usually applies to elements that have a fixed screen position (e.g. HUD, menu elements).

It’s a bit complicated to explain: since the game does not run at the full 90fps of your headset, additional frames are created by vorpX before the image is sent to the headset. These frames are transformed in a way that makes head rotation look fluid despite the <90 FPS the game runs with. On screen text/HUD elements etc. however, that do not rotate with your head, appear blurred or doubled when doing this.

If this also applies to the game world itself and not just HUD elements when you rotate your head, try to adjust the head tracking sensitivity. It's probably slighty off in that case and doesn't translate the head movement 1:1 into camera rotation.

Asynchronous timewarp is a pretty neat feature, so usually it's worth to live with these minor artifacts instead of reducing details/resolution so much that the game can run at full 90fps, which would be the alternative.

mattthefourth
    Participant

Ah, alright. It did seemed the world was a bit blurred, but not nearly as much as the text/HUD. I’ll fiddle with the headtracking settings and see if the world gets better; I’d been doing so already, but I was looking at the text to see if it was having any effect. Good to know they’re unrelated. Thanks Ralf! Appreciate everything you’ve done/are doing; it’s really amazing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!