Is there a way to bind edgepeek to a xbox button?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Is there a way to bind edgepeek to a xbox button?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    markbradley1982
    Participant

Is there anyway to bind edge peek to an xbox button? I want to try playing Fallout New Vegas strictly with my Xbox gamepad standing rather than mouse and keyboard sitting.

My experience with mouse and keyboard sitting for the past 95 hours in New Vegas was quite good despite the fact that it was sitting for a game that normally you should stand in. But after hearing people having such amazing VR experiences with Resident Evil 7 on both PC (Thanks Ralf!) and PSVR where the optimal position is standing, I want to try playing New Vegas standing.

The only problem is I need to access edge peek via my xbox controller, all other controls should already be mapped for New Vegas.

Yohaskan
    Participant

Same thing here, but for a sitting game who work better with a gamepad controller.
    In VR, is touchy to found the good key in blind
    If not, can it be via external software?

Edit: I have already a software for remap keystroke with my Gamepad controller (Scp Toolkit Manager PS3 to Xbox) and it’s works now

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no 100% perfect single solution to this matter, so I decided to address it in the way described below for the next vorpX version. When native gamepad mode is active, this will happen:

1. Per default the thumb stick buttons will be used exclusively by vorpX for EdgePeek and the vorpX menu. This is easy to understand and works like the default mapping of the vorpX gamepad emulation. The obvious flaw is that the two buttons are blocked for the actions they normally trigger.
    2. The second option will leave the normal ingame functions for the thumb stick buttons, a long press however will trigger EdgePeek/vorpX menu. This sounds like the best option in most cases, but since almost certainly noone would actually discover it if it was the default, it has to be activated manually.
    3. The third option will be to use the gamepad 100% natively like now without vorpX interfering anywhere.

You’ll be able to choose between these three options per button.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Yes, use xpadder or something similar. I use a paid app called Pinnacle, which is more flexible and powerful than the free solutions. How I set it up is a case by case basis. For New Vegas I setup the whole mapping through Pinnacle, while I only mapped edge peek and reset view on top the native controller mapping in Dishonored and Bioshock even though those buttons already did something else it worked like a charm. I changed Vorpx hotkeys for the edge peak and reset to Home and End instead of Mouse 3 and alt+space and then mapped the controller to End and Home.

With Pinnacle you can do other cool stuff. Like having the whole button layout change, when you hold certain buttons, to make room for more hotkeys, or have the right stick only move the on X-axis, and much more.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Short update: last night I had an idea how to address this matter in an almost perfect way. Inverting what I proposed as method 2. above works great.

When pressing a thumbstick button a short time, the associated vorpX action gets executed now, a longer press however gets registered normally by the game. A notification with a short explanation will be shown when a thumbstick is pressed the first time to address my concerns of people not understanding what is going on.

This works always the same way, with native gamepad mode as well as with the vorpX gamepad emulation, providing the extra benefit of two ‘freed’ buttons with the gamepad emulation.

You’ll be able to disable it completely if you don’t like it.

Yohaskan
    Participant

Good idea, thanks;)

Future Suggestion?
    If we want to try to play in roomscale mode, in this case, not the game controller but the remotes controllers Vive / Oculus, could we also imagine a system of this kind?

Yohaskan
    Participant

Sorry, i just test it with remote wand, and we have already this feature for zoom EdgePeek (on left grip)
    ————————————-
    hijack topic,
    With remotes vive controlers , I can almost do everything except, use my rifle scopes or binacular, in my game. normally I use a mouse wheel to do this, but it seems that I can not cumulate a right trigger action with a left button of the remotes
    (RMB to look in the binocular, and mouse wheel to adjust the zoom in x2 / x4 x8)

cercata
    Participant

I don’t find how to activate the second option …

cercata
    Participant

When pressing a thumbstick button a short time, the associated vorpX action gets executed now, a longer press however gets registered normally by the game. A notification with a short explanation will be shown when a thumbstick is pressed the first time to address my concerns of people not understanding what is going on.

I see the notification, but I don’t find where to change that behaviour, for inverting long/short press.

I have found how to disable it, how to change the action for each button, but not how to make that VorpX actions are mapped to long presses

Can someone tell where are those ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Warning: technical explanation ahead. If you consider it illogical or plain stupid, you have to take my word for it. :)

Long/short can’t be inverted. Think about it: a lot of games use the thumbstick buttons for sprinting/sneakting or similar actions where the action is performed while you press the stick and ended when you release the stick. That would break entirely if the vorpX action was performed on long press.

You can however map the vorpX actions to the menu/start buttons instead of the thumbstick buttons. That can be done on the ‘Input’ page of the vorpX menu.

cercata
    Participant

It’s not stupid at all, but that should be something the user should choose.
    If I have maped actions that are short in my game, that wouldn’t be a problem at all.

So you are penalizing smart users for protecting other users from themselves.

At least is good to know the option is not there, I was becoming crazy looking at all those config pages again and again.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m 99% sure that if that option would exist, we would now discuss why on earth vorpX breaks sneaking/sprinting in game XYZ. And if it weren’t we who have that discussion, I would have it with someone else.

However, since I was well aware that almost certainly not everyone would like the default setup, you can either map the vorpX actions to the start/menu buttons instead or disable them altogether. So you can easily deal with your issue that way.

Sometimes I really think it would be better to not reply to such questions at all instead of trying to help and explain. Being one of the few developers to whom you have direct access doesn’t really mean I have the time/desire to make a lengthy discussion out of even the smallest detail decision.

cercata
    Participant

I was just giving you some feedback … I’m sorry you feel I’m just wasting your time

Ralf
    Keymaster

Maybe I sounded a bit harsh, sorry. Wasn’t my intention. It just becomes *really* tedious when even the smallest things are questioned after giving a detailed explanation why they are handled the way they are handled, including a way to deal with your issue.

Nothing is ever done to ‘penalize’ anyone, there may however occasionally be reasons to do one or the other detail not exactly the way you personally would prefer it to be. I’m always happy to explain why something is done like it’s done, but that doesn’t make much sense if such an explantion sparks a lengthy discussion whenever someone doesn’t get the reply they want to hear. Makes meaningless feelgood support replies look more desirable than an actual and true explanation.

Ozbux
    Participant

Hi there,
    Does anyone know how to rebind the edge peek when using a wheel (ie for F1 2020)? In the Vorpx “In Game Key Bindings” menu, when I try and change MMB to a wheel button, it isn’t registered. Obviously trying to use a mouse when sat in a driving chair with the wheel and a VR HMD on is not optimal!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!