Mass Effect 1 Profile

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Mass Effect 1 Profile

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jelamb
    Participant

Hey, I’m trying to set up an ME1 profile. When I loaded up the given profile, it has a LOT of problems. It’s using geometry rendering and cinema view. The cinema view fits well with the 3rd person perspective, but I’ve noticed a lot of trouble with the rendering:
    1) Dialog cut scenes are terrors. The near plane is so close that I can’t resolve characters – they’re stuck as two images while my eyes want to kill me. Even the farthest characters in dialogs are impossible to look at.
    2) I get frequent black artifacts in distant areas. As an example, the first time you see a reaper ship, right at the start of the game, I couldn’t really see it because half the sky was always covered by an opaque black sheet. Very frustrating!

As there’s no specific near-plane setting in the in-game config for geometry rendering, the most I can do is lower the 3D multiplier, move the virtual screen further away, and change the FOV. I can get the cut-scenes to look good, but then during gameplay, I’m practically playing a 2D game and the virtual screen is much farther away than I’d like.

I tried the normal and adaptive Z rendering, but no matter what I do to the settings, even after game reboots, I can’t see any 3D-ness. I’m just watching a 2D game in a virtual space.

After 1.5hrs of testing and tweaking, I just can’t find settings that lets me comfortably play ME1. Any suggestions?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You could either disable 3D during cutscenes (hotkey can be changed in the config app) or switch to immersive screen mode, turn off 3d for edge peek mode and then switch to edge peek during cutscenes.

madcap
    Participant

Sorry to necro the thread, but does anyone know of a solution to the skybox rendering issue with this game and VorpX? I’ve got in running in an ultrawide high resolution immersive screen with added curvature (I like the feature). Sadly, the skybox’s are flickering (looks like z-fighting with black polygons) and was wondering if there’s a workaround.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please download the ‘Mass Effect [vorpX]’ profile from the cloud for a fixed version. Thanks for the heads-up!

BTW: Regarding the original issue this topic was about: if cutscenes are uncomfortable to watch, switch to EdgePeek mode. I reduced the stereo separation in the profile during EdgePeek a while ago, which should help with close-ups etc.

madcap
    Participant

Thanks for fixing it so fast. I also notice I can use dynamic shadows with No S3D now, and cutscenes are comfortable to watch without edgepeek. Just played for an hour and the new profile seems perfect.

Happy New Year.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback. I more or less rebuilt the whole profile, using some features that weren’t available when the original profile was done six years ago. Good to know that it works better for cutscenes this way, I’ll probably do the same for ME2+3 then.

Happy New Year to you too.

madcap
    Participant

That would be great. I brought all the DLC packs from Origin (sale) and plan on playing the trilogy. They’re amazing games and those cutscenes in S3D (with modern texture mods) are pretty jaw dropping, and that’s only on ME1.

madcap
    Participant

Unfortunately, Mass Effect 2 is exhibiting the same S3D problems ME1 had before the fix (in cut/narrative scenes), so I’ll wait for these profile fixes to catch up before continuing my adventure. :)

freshmootz
    Participant

Forgive me for a DUMB QUESTION. I havent used Vorpx yet. I download the ME Legendary Edition profile. It applied. Here comes the dumb question. How the hell do I start the game? And what about this -exe? Where does that go? I have the Steam version, so I am assuming I just put it in the Steam launcher?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!