Metro 2033 redux series

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Metro 2033 redux series

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Ralf: firstly, take a break for now for the Christmas season. When you’re well rested…maybe you have some suggestions concerning this. I’m not sure if I’m the only one but I have never been able to get the Metro 2033 series of games running properly in vorpx…ever. Even the latest 17.3.0 still doesn’t work for my installation.

I’ve done a clean steam install of Last light and for the life of me cannot get it to look right. It’s definitely something to do with the FOV, but I was expecting 17.3.0 to take care of that. Also, since the new update…Metro 2033 redux just crashes part way through the beginning when it takes you through the tunnel before it gets to the end where you select to start, continue game or set options.

In Last light everything looks warped and un-natural when inside the game using full VR. As vorpx writes it’s own configuration to each game. Could it be that the config files aren’t getting written to the game in this instance? Stumped. Suggestions? No rush though.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Well after much tinkering and un-installing, re-installing of both Metro 2033 redux, Last light redux…I finally have success in running both games. There must have been something wrong with the profiles with these games left over from the prior version. After loading both local profiles for 17.3.0 I was finally able to see some progress. Also, Metro 2033 redux no longer crashes at a certain point in the tunnel.

Though not perfect, they both finally run to the point where I can actually play them like a VR game now (finally). The head tracking still seems kind of off…too much sway/tilt as I turn my head. I’ve been trying different head tracking settings but nothing stops the head sway/tilt as I turn my head. Ralf, maybe you have some suggestions.

-G3D is excellent visually but it robs to much performance to be usable for my liking. I have to try more lower resolutions with different graphics settings to see if I can make it more usable. But I think I’ll wait for this until something is done about the crashing –> (listed further down)

-z-buffer adaptive gives me the fps I want for performance but lacks depth. Turning up 3D strength just makes everything look double and weird. Skyrim looks so much better in z-buffer than these…not sure why.

-1680p gives me 90fps mostly. These games are very intense on graphic processing… especially for VR…and with the in game quality set at medium too.

-changing custom graphics settings in game (without vorpx control) almost always causes the games to crash. That is VERY frustrating…especially since you always have to wait for the tunnel stuff at the beginning to get back into the game. Ralf, maybe you could look into what may be happening here to cause the games to crash while changing in game graphics settings while vorpx is running. No crashing when running in normal 2D on a monitor.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Under normal circumstances there shouldn’t be any tweaking involved at all in making the Metro Redux games work. Also no need to download or apply any profiles. Might make sense to restore their profiles to default in the config app before doing anything else.

Head tracking in Metro games is moused based, so it’s not quite as good Direct VR head tracking, but it’s close in these games. Both use Microsofts “Raw Input” and have no mouse acceleration, so there is not too much of a difference compared to Direct VR head tracking. With the default mouse sensitivity in the game head tracking should be 1:1, otherwise you can adjust the tracking sensitivity.

FOV: The FOV is auto adjusted in these games. Unless that fails for some reason on your machine, FOV is pitch perfect with default settings. If for some reason the settings optimizer does not apply the right FOV, you can disable it (Direct VR page in the menu) and instead adjust the FOV manually in the game’s ini:

C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033\\user.cfg / r_base_fov
    C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro Last Light\\user.cfg / r_base_fov

The FOV value is the vertical FOV. With all vorpX settings at default values, 96 would be the correct value. If it already is at 96, the optimizer worked fine and the FOV is correct for Full VR mode with the default vorpX profile settings.

G3D/Z3D performance: that’s the nature of the beast, as always G3D is the more natural 3D, but costs performance while Z3D doesn’t look as natural but is fast.

I’d also advise against tweaking any graphics settings manually in both games. Provided the optimizer does its work as intended they are auto set to work best with vorpX.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Ralf.

I checked the FOV setting vorpx set in the user.cfg file for both games. It set the FOV at 90. When I rotate my head the tracking is fine except the slight roll and tilt…which makes it a bit disorientating. I tried Star wars Battlefront and it also does has a bit of roll and tilt when I turn my head…but the tracking is perfect for all 3 games. Skyrim doesn’t do this…everything remains level as I turn my head. I guess maybe that is the slight difference between direct vr and mouse based tracking as you stated.

matteo39
    Participant

i’ve tried metro 2033 redux, and now it crash after the intro!

matteo39
    Participant

metro 2033 (NOT redux) instead works with vorpx…

Constantin
    Participant

metro 2033 redux still doesn’t work!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The game should work just fine under normal circumstances. However, if you can’t make it work, try the regular Metro 2033 version. I’m not 100% sure anymore, but IIRC that would preferable anyway to to more complete DirectVR support.

Also checking the ‘alternative hooking’ checkbox in the vorpX config app is always worth a shot. Caveat: Don’t forget to switch back even if that helps with a game. It’s not better per se, some game require the default hooking method.

Apart from that:

Problems with attaching to games typically are related to conflicts with other programs on your PC that also hook into games. Obvious candidates would be CPU/GPU utilities of any kind or some invasive AV programs, but there are also less obvious ones. Generally everything that can show an overlay over games for example. Since you are a 3D-Vision user, please also make sure that 3D-Vision is disabled.

You can find more detailed information regarding hooking issues including some other, less likely, potential reasons in the trouble shooting guide in the help (or here).

cercata
    Participant

Metro 2033 Redux is working for me, but there is distorsion whe you turn.
    But the worst is the lower part of the image is something weird like an animated barcode.

Y went there for Metro 2033, and the image looks perfect, but DirectVR isn’t working, so I can’t look up and down. It says rotation scan OK, but doesn’t work.

huyzer
    Participant

Metro 2033 Redux is working for me, but there is distorsion whe you turn.
    But the worst is the lower part of the image is something weird like an animated barcode.

I noticed the same thing as you when I tried it.

huyzer
    Participant

Seems like cercata figured it out. I’ll leave the link to the fix:

Graphic anomoly in Metro 2033 Redux

cercata
    Participant

Yes, at 1920×1080 no distortion and no weird lower area in the Redux version.
    I guess any 16:9 resolution will work, but at 1080p it looks very well, I was surprised.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Could you send me a savegame of the original Metro 2033 (via mail to support at vorpx com) from the location where the DirectVR scan failed for you? I’d like to take a look at that and see whether I can replicate the issue here. Would be great, thanks in advance!

cercata
    Participant

It’s just at the beggining, after the cinematic climbing the ladder.
    Also in the next corridor, after opening the first gate.

cercata
    Participant

I reinstaled Metro 2033 to try reproduce the problem, and send the savegame, and after reinstall, it worked on the first try the DirectVR Scan.

Now I’m having the problem with Far Cry 2, I have tryed manu times, with different settings, reverted the profile and game settings to the original again, even reinstalling the game.

I suspect it’s something in my computer that sometimes avoids VorpX from modifying the memory positions for DirectVR rotation …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!