Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition and DX12?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition and DX12?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Endlessdescent
    Participant

Does Vorpx work with Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition and other DX12 games like Cyberpunk 2077 using raytracing? Thank you.

luka2099
    Participant

Yes, work very well on dx12 games. But only in zadaptive. No g3d.

Endlessdescent
    Participant

What is the difference between Zadaptive and G3D? I have been reading posts that say Dx12 doesn’t work well such as this one…

There are a handful of supported DX12 games. Some that I know of: RDR2, Cyberpunk, Deus EX MD. But they’re either flat or Z3D.

For games that support mods there is a workaround to get G3D by using AFR (alternate frame rendering) where the mod changes camera position on each frame to match each eye. But since the game does not stop between frames each eye will see a slightly different scene (unless the mod can also hack timing). Still it’s a lot of work for each game. RDR2 is probably the only DX12 title with such a mod.

Other than that it might be possible if the game itself has built-in SBS support. However there is no SBS profile for DX12 that I know of.

So there is quite a lot of effort going into DX12. However my understanding is that G3D is not possible (at least not in the same way as for DX9/10/11). But you can hook into DX12 games and at the very least you get a flat screen in VR. For some you’ll also get Z3D or AFR (and maybe SBS in the future).

If the games only play on a flat screen, that is already possible without Vorpx using Vive Theatre mode or SteamVR or similar software.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I would call dx12 functionality very limited right now. We only have a handful of official dx12 profiles to try from, which makes it risky to pick up any new games at full price.

I for example wanted to play AC Valhalla and Far Cry 6, but no existing dx12 profile provided working Z3D, only flat. I have stopped buying new because of this.

G3D (true 3D) is not even coded for dx12 yet. Only about 3 specific dx12 games have specialized mods for alternate eye rendering to imitate G3D visuals.

So if you’re lucky, Metro Enhanced with ray tracing and Z3D is possible yes (3D enough to convince your brain that the general scene has depth and space), but if not lucky, you’ll see only a flat image.

One more thing to note is that you will need to push high resolutions to gain a satisfactory image in a vr headset, so make sure your pc can run the game at least 50+fps @ 4k+ with ray tracing on.

Not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. You might have luck with some games, and you might not with others.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Endlessdescent :

G3D means that the game is actually rendered from two perspectives, once for the left eye, once for the right eye. That’s ‘true’ 3D like it works in real life.

Z3D is a post process effect where the game is only rendered once as usual when playing on your monitor. The 3D effect is created afterwards based on depth information the game creates during the rendering process.

In a nutshell Z3D looks less natural, but is a lot faster.

onetoo
    Participant

Do you plan on bringing the option for AFR\AER into more games?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not by choice, but if you force me to do so, then probably yes. :)

VRified Games
    Participant

+1 for more options

If Aer helps get D12 games in VR, I’m all for it :-)

drowhunter
    Participant

+1 for this AFR works great for me and If it allows me to play more games in VR im all for it.

I really want GRID 2019 and GRID Legends to be in VR so bad.

jjensson
    Participant

If AFR makes it possible to play DX12 games without losing the shadows, i vote a resounding YES. :)

Kuchi
    Participant

Does this mean that if I were to run Shadow of the Tomb raider with dx11 the 3d effect would be better?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you let vorpX adjust settings automatically, it configures everything for the game‘s built in stereo 3d rendering. Nothing to improve beyond that.

Boblekobold
    Participant

I don’t get Z3D in Metro Exodus with DX12 (I have to rename the exe to launch with DX12). Raytracing works well, even without DLSS.

Boblekobold
    Participant

I use Cyberpunk 2077 profile. With Metro Exodus profile, it seems only possible to launch the game if it’s set on DirectX 11.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try the regular Metro Exodus. That one has an official profile with both G3D and Z3D support, also automatic FOV adjustment, better head tracking via the DirectVR memory scanner and other DirectVR features. As far as vorpX is concerned the enhanced version is pretty much a ‘dehanced’ version actually. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!