Motion Sickness with vorpX

Homepage Forums Technical Support Motion Sickness with vorpX

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rss334
    Participant

Hello everyone I’m a new user to vorpX , been using Oculus about a week with no issues and just recently purchased vorpX. I’m finding myself getting motion sickness minutes in to playing any game with vorpX to the point I simply can’t use it. I can play games using Oculus outside of the rift for hours and never feel any sickness but the movement within vorpX is really causing me issues.

Wanted to ask of others with more experience if there was any way to improve this. Using cinema mode negates this effect but I bought vorpX with the intent to play games in 3D. The head movement when combined with mouse movement is very unatural it seems for me. Any tips anyone can give me to try? Thanks in advance.

prinyo
    Participant

I took me some time to get my VR legs but VorpX actually helped a lot.

If you rotate your mouse wheel while in the game it will zoom in or out. Play for some time in a comfortably zoomed out position and slowly zoom in more and more as you feel comfortable.

rss334
    Participant

^ Thanks Prinyo, I don’t experience this in cinema mode or when zoomed out , just when trying to replicate the VR in game. I’ve tried adjusting various settings including sensitivity and head tracking but the motion I’m feeling from this is unbearable for some reason. I can play robo recall, arizona sunshine and others just fine but inside vorpx I’m getting sick.

By default I’m loading the profile for the games within vorpx, then tweaking settings from there but so far nothing has helped. I’ve yet to turn on advanced setting would anything in there help with this. I’m just feeling the motion is not natural and disconnected somehow.

RJK_
    Participant

Motion sickness is definately game specific. (in my opinion). In a game where you move fast and/or the position/speed of your head is too low,too high the brain gets easily confused when moving around in the game.
    I think you should test a specific game in 3D ( i wonder how you did that ) without vorpx and then with vorpx to see if you run into motion sickness or not.

rss334
    Participant

Hi RJK thanks for the reply no it’s not game specific for me, it happens anytime I use vorpx, the cinema mode is ok but trying anything with vr rendering is out.
    I just don’t use it anymore, I see others are OK with it just unfortunate for me I’m not one of them.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you are highly prone to motion sickness, besides using cinema mode it’s worth a try to check games with Direct VR support before other games. Those have perfect 1:1 head tracking without the need to adjust anything, which helps a lot if you are sensitive in this regard.

Check this post for a list of Direct VR games.

PhoenixSpyder
    Participant

rss334, when you are running any game in vorpx…make sure you set your Steam account to display the FPS count in Steam, settings, ingame. It will show the fps in one of the corners of your 2D screen. It will be a good indication if your system is setup to run properly with Vorpx and games. Getting a consistent fps is key to not feeling sick for most people.

Native VR games are not making you feel sick because they are already tweaked to run properly and at 90fps…usually…or 45fps if it can’t. Vorpx needs tweaking…most of the time…to give you proper fps…besides running whatever game in the proper resolution for your system for proper fps.

Also, since you are new to VR…you will definitley need to get your VR legs happening. Just as others have stated…it will take some time. Get some anti-nausea pills (ginger root also) too…it will help you while you get your VR legs in motion.

Good luck!!!

RJK_
    Participant

Can someone tell what FPS has physically has to do with motion sickness ? I have started (ok, not the best game to start off) with HARD RESET. Motion sickness came up only when i started moving fast, especially sideways. When standing tall and stoped running i noticed my body shaking back and forward to compensate the sudden stop of the body. But there was nothing to compansate. That was weird. In my eyes the sickness simply is a matter of movements which the brain cant cope with. I havent noticed any flickering or so during that.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The main reason for motion sickness in VR is a disconnect between what you see and what your brain expects as input from your vestibular (balance) system in that situation. Not unsimilar to sea sickness.

Low framerates cause a subtle disconnect between these two. If games are running really slow, more time goes by between you moving your head and that movement actually showing on screen. That alone can be enough for someone who is very sensitive regarding motion sickness.

Ideally a VR app should run at full 90fps to minimize this latency, all apps (including vorpX) still work quite fine with 45fps though by creating one artificial frame in between two real ones. Below 45fps the latency will become more noticable.

That’s just one of many factors though, another one is the one you mention: highly unnatural movements like strafing while you stay in place, which causes a heavy disconnect between visual and vestibular system, may make you feel uncomfoartable regardless of the framerate until you get accustomed to VR locomotion.

RJK_
    Participant

Very strange, yesterday i went to buy a playseat. I tested it in front of a small, flat 22″ monitor. No VR ! and i became motion sick. How ist this possible ? The only reason i can imagine is after beeing a real diver for years the brain expects something totally different sitting behind a stearing. :-(

RJK_
    Participant

… by now ive tried quite a few vr games and i got motion sick on each and that very quick. I started playing Hunted: the demons forge a few days ago and only hell knows why i can play this game for hours without getting motion sick. – very strange !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!