MPC-HC max quality

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion MPC-HC max quality

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    nexus-07
    Participant

Hey.
    1) Does MPC-HC support MadVR?
    2) Will I be able to set the video resolution myself? What would it be more fullHD?
    3) Will ffdshow 32 bit work?
    4) avisynth 32 bit?
    5) SVP?
    6) There is a virtual desktop program in steam, but the picture there is of poor quality, with increasing screen size. Will you be better?
    7) Does VorpX impose any restrictions on MPC-HC?
    I want to buy a program, but I want to know in advance what it can, since it is mainly needed for 2d films.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX captures the video in MPC-HC before it gets fully processed by MPC-HC to ensure it doesn’t get re-sampled more often then necessary. Combined with vorpX’s own image processing that leads to a farily good quality, but it also means that almost certainly some of the things on your list are applied after vorpX grabs the image and thus will have no effect on what is sent to the headset in the end.

What exactly from your list is applied before vorpX grabs the image and what afterwards I don’t know, sorry. Judging from your list however my personal guess is that for a dedicated videoplayer buff like you no VR solution will be really good enough anyway. Unlikely that current headset display resolutions will meet your expectations, regardless how good the software is.

BTW: Even if all your filters are applied before vorpX grabs the image: filters that optimize the video for your desktop res and refresh rate don’t really make too much sense when the image afterwards gets send to a headset with a totally different resolution and refreh rate. Less is probably more here.

nexus-07
    Participant

Just the resolution of the video in the helmet I was worried about.
    Since upscaling and downscaling does madvr, it has a lot of algorithms, how it makes a helmet is not known.

Minabe
    Participant

Can’t really answer fully from a technical standpoint but afaik and from my experience, madVR is pretty much obsolete now, it was created back when VR was at it’s infancy and vorpX is doing what madVR is supposed to do. But to answer your question MPC-HC does support madVR but you’d need a lot more powerful pc to achieve a good framerate.

In the case of ffdshow it wouldn’t really render better nor faster than the standard enhance video renderer and it’s pretty much the same as madVR, it’s supposed to be faster than the official divx/xvid decoders of it’s time but again, those codecs are obsolete now as h264 is faster and h265/hevc is becoming the norm since it can get the same perceptual image quality as h264 while having twice the compression rate.

As for avisynth and SVP, i have never used them (what does SVP stands for?) but avisynth being a post-processing tool, it might work with vorpX as Ralf clarified the final process is on MPC-HC though i wouldn’t really know as i don’t know how avisynth works.

In any case, MPC-HC supports shaders which you can add plus the ones it comes with, not sure exactly what you want to achieve using all of the things you mention but none would be necessary to get the best quality. From my experience using vorpX to watch 3D SBS video with MPC-HC, it matters a lot more the encoding than the resolution itself (which becomes less important the higher the resolution over your hmd screen’s native resolution) as 4k videos can look better than 5k or 6k ones.

nexus-07
    Participant

I can not configure vorpx. the screen resolution that is transmitted to the helmet is equal to the size of the mpc media player. and the size of my monitor is 1920×1080, i.e. I can’t even start 4k. I was able to make an artificially large window, but then the picture of only that part of the film that fit into the screen gets into the helmet. I essentially need a full desktop cloning, with its resolution and frame rate, as if it were a separate monitor.

nexus-07
    Participant

svp increase the number of frames so that the video is smooth.
    Svp

nexus-07
    Participant

my helmet is Samsung Odyssey + configured as steamvr. in other modes, video capture with a helmet did not work.

nexus-07
    Participant

I found a way to run the video in 4k, but when the video is playing, it shows a black screen. What is it and how to treat it?
    mpc-be settings

Minabe
    Participant

Oh, so SVP just interpolates the frames ala reprojection. The problem with that is that it won’t always be 100% accurate and it can introduce graphical artifacts.

As you seem to be quite into it you probably know about ffmpeg, you can do everything you talked about with it, inculding what SVP does. Imo it is one of the best open source softwares available on the internet and you should really look into it bc everything you’ve mention can be done with it, including upscaling any video to 4k although idk why you’d want such a thing given upscaling will result in pixelation, the only way it wouldn’t (and the same thing with SVP) would be by using a trained AI for such things.

Minabe
    Participant

Been a while since i tried madVR so went to check it again, it’s not compatible with vorpX through MPC-HC as everytime i change the render in the settings, vorpX resets the settings to EVR, so my testing might have been flawed (been a couple of years since i did it so my memories might have been somewhat misguided). Wanted to clarify that madVR as a video renderer was used to render video to each eye of a screen (basically what VR does back when it really wasn’t VR) and that’s the part vorpX is doing, not the rendering itself (hoping Ralf can clarify some of it but not expecting anything so don’t worry Ralf).

On the other hand, if you use a nvidia gpu you can adjust some video image settings at the control panel, noise reduction and edge enhancement, recomended setting them to ~30%. The performance hit is minimum but it does has a clear effect on video quality, funny as i just found out there’s also an option for inverse telecine in there, every day you learn something new.

nexus-07
    Participant

All of the above I managed to run. In madvr it is necessary to remove the checkbox of direct 11 to make it work.
    In the end, the work through the vorpx seemed unstable to me and eats up a lot of resources. Also, I did not like the smoothing of the image, the point is not in the “ladder”, but the image itself is somehow strange.
    The resolution problem turned out to be very simple, you just need to change the screen resolution to 2k-4k. This is done to ensure that Madvr has a scaling image based on artificial intelligence and there are simpler algorithms. This is better than standard helmet tools and other programs.

As a result, I switched to the bigscreen program. I start films as I used to, only raise the screen resolution in advance. There is a problem, due to the high resolution and 3D movies, SVP does not work(slows down). I have a 1080ti-video card.

As for noise reduction from Nvidia, I did not check it. There is still noise reduction in madvr, but I did not like it.
    My advice is to use avisynth with this setting for fullhd.
    LoadPlugin (“c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\FFT3dGPU.dll”)
    FFT3DGPU (sigma = 0.8, plane = 4, bt = 2, precision = 0, sharpen = 0.5)

and for anime
    LoadPlugin (“c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\msharpen.dll”)
    LoadPlugin (“c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\FFT3dGPU.dll”)
    FFT3DGPU (sigma = 0.8, bw = 64, bh = 64, ow = 32, oh = 32, plane = 4, bt = 1, precision = 0)
    msharpen (threshold = 10, strength = 20, mask = false, highq = true)

There are many resources, especially if it is 60 fps. But it’s worth it, this is my favorite library. For me personally, it’s better to turn it on (if there is a lot of noise) than 60fps

p.s. cartoons in 3D are gorgeous. Games in 3D are gorgeous))
    p.s2. in bigscreen cannot reduce the screen size. I think I will return to experiments with the future in the future, on other content. But it is necessary to solve the problems with productivity.

nexus-07
    Participant

I am using MPS-BE. Created a new config in vorph. madvr ceased to be disconnected. His work can always be checked by pressing ctrl+j

Minabe
    Participant

My main problem was that vorpX changed MPC-HC settings every time it closes, but i found that changing the renderer and closing a video without closing MPC-HC, then re-loading a video seems to work, though you DO need to disable Direct 11 in madVR for it to work, nice find!

While i could use madVR, i simply couldn’t make it look any closer to how vorpX default custom-EVR looks, it literally looked like a ~100p video no matter the settings i used (which did changed the rendering but just barely and couldn’t make it look beyond a 240p video), what settings do you use to make it look hd?

The next part i quite didn’t understand it, so you’re not using vorpX anymore? The resolution part is for image scaling only then? Bc i don’t think i’d need them for 4K content unless i wanted to downscale it (which kinda beats the purpose).

As for SVP, my advice would be to use FFMPEG to pre-compute the interpolated frames (using minterpolate command), that way you wouldn’t need to use extra cpu during playback. Though from my tests it’s really slow unless you use blend mode which isn’t the best mode but it’s REALLY fast and for 30 fps videos it might look good enough if you’re just doubling it. The main problem with FFMPEG imo is that most commands don’t have a gpu equivalent and as such it’s pretty cpu intensive.

And about avisynth, idk why you’d need it, not sure what you’re doing with it. Are you using it to create 3D video from 2D? Bc i don’t get where you’re getting 3D cartoons… sorry, can’t really understand that part.

The noise reduction and edge sharpening in nvidia settings are pretty good, has practically no impact on performance and you can change it on the fly.

nexus-07
    Participant

He started experimenting with worp again. I took the blu-paradise video bd3d and converted it to SBS 3d. So I got 3840s1080. Then converted using swp to 90fps.
    And then the problems started, the frequency of my screen is 60Hz, and the helmet frequency is 90Hz.
    But I don’t know how to send the video directly to the helmet. Because a helmet is not a separate monitor. In the Windows settings, you can enable the helmet as a separate monitor, but it will have a resolution of 1920×1080, and I can not fix it in any way. In the player, you can specify in the settings where to open the video. I point the helmet. But in the end I get 90Hz 1920×1080.
    I have a Samsung odyssey and some kind of program does not allow to increase the resolution.

When using bigscreens, you cannot set 90Hz, because of this I decided to try the Warp. And to make the experiment simpler and have enough resources, I converted the video in advance (which is not a quality guarantee, SVP does not seem to recognize 3d)

nexus-07
    Participant

The picture will be ~ 100p if you do not expand the player to full screen. And in order to get 4k, it is necessary that the screen is 4k.

It’s generally not possible to make 1080p to 4k, but there are a lot of good old films on DVD, and here madvr can come in handy. I even started to learn how to convert video. There is such a program Topaz Gigapixel AI

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!